“must be visited.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #293 of 908 Restaurants in Brighton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Hove, United Kingdom
“must be visited.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

In a city full of chain restaurants, we were glad that we found a tiny little restaurant called "Little Portugal". It is a family run business and It has a friendly atmosphere which make you feel like you are eating in Portugal. We had a really great time there and will definitely go back there again.if you are planning to go there on weekend, make sure you reserve a table in advance .

Worthing, United Kingdom
“Tasteless”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is DEFFINATLY not authentic Portuguese cooking..The owner is Portuguese and very pleasant,but that's as far as it goes..The food is tasteless has no garlic or herbs,which Portuguese are big on..I ordered the Calder Verde soup,which is a combination of potatoes, chorizo,onions,garlic and cabbage, I got a bowl of cabbage in its own water(if I was on a cabbage diet FAB, BUT I'm not and it was awful) Two of the dishes we ordered comes from my husbands Portuguese Provence..one being the soup and the other the Pork and Clams..Both were tasteless and awful..The best thing of this meal was the Pastel De Nata which are from elsewhere.
I can only imagin the people that have left positive reviews, are either not Portuguese or you are and you haven't taste buds.. Would I go again,DEFFINATLY NOT.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“If you fancy a dining experience in someone's dirty living room, be my guest.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

First of all, I would like to stress that the aim of the review it to give a constructive feedback and not put people off from going there. However the truth needs to be told.

As my friend and I walked in the impression we were unwanted guests. The owner was sat in one of the tables customers were supposed to eat having a chat with a friend of his, and his cute little boy was sat on another table with his little fellow. It seemed the party was over as soon as we stepped in. The place did not seem to be that clean either. I think that floor is yet to be introduced to a broomstick. There are kids’ toys around the restaurant and overall it does not seem to be a tidy place.

The menu could be better presented as well. It the pieces of paper were just in a simple plastic folder it would be nicer. They don’t seem to put too much though into details that make the entire difference.

As a starter we had clams and they were superb. However, the olives ordered had this odd rotten taste and both mains were a real disaster. I had the pork with rice, fries and egg. The pork steak was so fat that I could only eat little pieces of it. The rice was far from fresh as it was all stick together typical when it is reheated again and again. After nearly 10 minutes I had received my main, my friend’s arrived. She had ordered crab and, although we can confirm it was fresh because we saw the beast alive, it was not tasty at all. The prepared paté was not good and in the end she left almost everything in the plate.

During the entire “experience” there were these kids running around the restaurant playing this really annoying song and sitting on the tables customers are supposed to have their meal which didn’t seem to be that professional at all. There was nothing wrong with the boys but it was the wrong place for them to play.

Since it is a small restaurant, it could take the opportunity to provide a cosy and authentic experience, it has clearly failed to do so. I can see it is a family run business and sometimes the workload can be overwhelming but there is definitely room for more professionalism. I hope my review can help somehow.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Hoves little gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I really love this place the food was amazing and the service brilliant!.great value for money I would recommend anyone to try it ...try the chocolate mousse Portuguese style ..omg delicious

• Visited August 2013
North London
“Just what you would expect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Previous reviews indicated that this is a family run, small, authentic Portuguese restaurant. This is exactly what we got. Although we (four of us) sat downstairs in the small area in front of the counter, the atmosphere was surprisingly good, probably because the only other two tables were occupied by - surprise, surprise - Portuguese diners. The fish stews, which the menu informs will take about 20 minutes to prepare, were outstanding and the speciality sausages were delicious. We all agreed that we would happily eat here again.

• Visited June 2013