“Ann W” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Ann W”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We had a most delicious meal prior to going to the theatre, I love sausages and this meal was the best sausage, mash potato together with the gravy I have ever had! The range of different sausages including vegetarian and many varieties of mashed potatoes and different gravies is very impressive all chalked up on the menu board. Very rustic. The staff were very welcoming service very good. All in all a perfect place. We cannot wait to go again and that will be very soon.
Well done to all the staff and Chef. There was nothing we didn't like.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Nice pub, the muzak was too loud and unnecessary as it was very busy. The food arrived in good time and the girl looking after us was great but the food was a let down the roast pots were chewy, the crackling served with the pork was scratchings out of a bag, the swede had far too much pepper in it, but it wasn't the worst sunday lunch I have had.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bobby A, General Manager at The Geese, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Hello there, thank you for your review and I'm really sorry to here you didn't enjoy your visit to The Geese. I will certainly be looking to improve from your comments. The crackling is most definately not pork scratchings however it is made from fresh pork and I'm confused as to why you would think this. The music volume is purely a matter of personal taste, we will always turn the music down on reqest but the lively atmophere is one of the reasons why we are the busiest pub for roasts in Hanover and its a little unfair as everyone else enjoys it and keep coming back.
Thank You for your kind comments, as a young independent business we do value customer feedback so that we can improve, if you would like to come back please let me know so I can get you a drink
“Delectable Food, Warm Atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

My girlfriend and I were lucky enough to experience an excellent evening at The Geese on Southover Street just the other night. I was aware that bangers and mash was the theme at the pub, and although I'm not normally a fan of this cuisine, I went in with an open mind.
After settling in at our reserved table with a refreshing pint, I was immediately pleased with the friendly clientele around me and the happy, bustling atmosphere, which really epitomised the magical charm of British pub culture.
Gazing up at the menu/wall I was taken aback by the selection of sausages, mash and gravies on offer and couldn't wait to choose my killer combination. I could already tell this wasn't going to be your average bangers and mash pub grub as I deliberated over options of venison, chorizo, wild boar, garlic mash and red wine gravies.
The service was on the ball and immediately brought us over the best condiment and sauce tray I have ever seen at any restaurant- with jars full of everything from the standard ketchup and mayonnaise to mint and cranberry sauces and everything in between.
When the food arrived it was well presented and smothered with gravy. By the end of the meal, I had actually been converted to a bangers and mash fan, although I wouldn't go anywhere other than the Geese for it! The sausages oozed freshness and flavour and the portions are more than enough.
So get yourself down to the Geese ASAP! And make sure you book to avoid disappointment!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hove
“Sunday Roast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Booked a table of 4 for 12pm on Sunday via email and received confirmation same day; arrived at 12pm table reserved (as were just about all tables, so advisable to book in advance).

Its a small pub but setting and atmosphere were good though the barman came across as a tad surly.

Overall our roasts were were ok but nothing better than that; my veggie roast was dissapointing to be honest not very flavoursome and didn't seem to have much thought in making it stand out from the norm and the pork had very little crackling with it - the veggies were good but roast potatoes were only average at best.

Also, the side dishes are not available for Sunday roast (no mushy peas for me then) - perhaps the board should make this clear.

Sadly our expectations from the previous TA reviews were not met - perhaps we caught them on an off day.

Visited March 2014
Southend on Sea
“Great Sunday Lunch with friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Really good roast dinner and good value. The menu in the week looks interesting lots of different sausages and mash. Would like to visit again.

Visited March 2014