“Very yummy breakfast” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #108 of 876 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Café
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: An award winning independent espresso bar &cafe located in the heart of the lanes just two minutes walk from the beach. Cafe Coho uses Union Hand-Roasted Coffee, is fully licensed and is available for private hire.  Open daily from 8:00 am (9:00 am Sat, Sun & Bank Holidays) until late offering breakfast, lunch, brunch, afternoon tea along with a superb selection of ales from Hepworth Brewery & fine wines.Outdoor seating available. Cafe Coho is located at 53 Ship Street, Brighton next to Fat Face and adjacent to Browns Restaurant.
Twickenham, United Kingdom
“Very yummy breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Perfect place for reading the papers with a delicious breakfast. The staff were very friendly and the service quick. Food was good quality and hot. A little bit expensive but I think it was worth it. Def go back.

Visited March 2013
James W, Owner at Cafe Coho - Ship Street, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Hi Jackie

Thank you for your recent Cafe Coho review on trip advisor.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Regards

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Not the best coffe in town, but nice all the same”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This little cafe is warm and welcoming. The coffee is 'ok,' but you really go here for the comfortable surroundings and friendly staff. The food they do is very nice especially scrambled eggs on toast.
One thing I would say though is that it's a shame about 'the toilets!!'

Visited December 2012
James W, Owner at Cafe Coho - Ship Street, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Michael

Thank you for your review. We really value all feedback (good and bad) as it helps improve our already very standard. I have noted your bathroom comment and will take immediate steps to improve.

Thank you once again for taking the time to leave us feedback.
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Really great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Had a really great coffee in here today! I sat with my laptop looking out the window and was generally a really nice atmosphere (even if the weather was awful outside!) Was really nice to have the coffee brought over to me instead of having to stand around waiting for it. All felt very friendly and will hopefully go back soon.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Lucy S

Thank you for your recent TA review - it's very much appreciated.

Hopefully we'll see you again soon.

Kind Regards

Birmingham, UK
“French boulangerie style cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a delicious breakfast here whilst staying in Brighton. A great location and a lovely change to our hotel breakfast as we wanted to explore some independent eateries.
There was a lovely display on the counter of all the different baked goods they could offer; croissants, baguettes, etc They also served a wide variety of coffees/hot drinks which were delicious.
As well as the pastries, there were some cooked breakfasts to choose from. I had Eggs Royale and hubby had Pancake Stack with Bacon - both were delicious.
We ended up spending £20 to cover the two cooked and two coffees, then a babycino and croissant for our son. We felt this was great value for delicious and good quality food in a good location.

Visited February 2013
James W, Owner at Cafe Coho - Ship Street, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear JoHolmes

Thank for your TA review!

Really glad you enjoyed your breakfast and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
London
“Great coffee - truly awful attitude.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I often come to Cafe Coho on Ship St - location is great, coffee always good too but often the service is unfriendly and unprofessional ... And I do what we all so often do and let it go and still come back. But today my blood is boiling. Empty cafe when I arrived - pleasant girl on her way downstairs said someone would be with me. Another member of staff walked in, on her mobile, mid conversation, not an ounce of acknowledgement and walked back out. Then another finally arrived, no hello, no welcome of any kind. No thank you. Nothing. Coffee as always was good. Girl who served me then coughed and sneezed into her hands, didn't wash them then proceeded to unpack napkins. Ugh. God. So damn basic. Then the back door was opened so someone could move things in upstairs. By this stage more people in cafe and one customer asked if the door could be closed to which he was told no because it would inconvenience the person moving in. Unbelievable. Icy cold both in temperature and staffing. Not the first time which is why I'm writing this. Please - the manager of this branch - please sit down with your staff and tell them that service is massively important. It matters that people are friendly and appreciate patronage. The cafe should be about creating a place that you want to be in but there is a real tension and atmosphere on occasions here. Also the utterly fundamental and basic matter of food hygiene and standards must be impressed upon them. To sneeze and cough into your hands and then handle materials that people will be eating from is just so unbelievably gross and disconcerting. Please sort it out as the cafe is great for location and product.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear Guliver101

Thank you for your recent review and please accept my sincere apologies that this visit did not meet your expectations. I appreciate all feedback whether good or bad as it helps us protect our already very high standards.

I would like to assure you that I have investigated your concerns regarding a member of staff sneezing and have taken the appropriate action. I agree entirely that this incident was absolutely unaccectable and I assure you it was a one off.

Regarding the back door being open, this was to allow items to be moved upstairs. I agree that the situation could have been managed better, please again accept my apologies.

I have checked the CCTV and the person walking into Coho on a mobile phone was someone making a delivery and not a member of staff.

On a more positive note, I am pleased that you enjoyed our coffee.

As form of recompense I would like to invite you to return to Coho on a complimentary basis giving us opportunity to proove to you that what you experienced was a one off. I you could please email me and I will send you some coffee vouchers.

Thank you once again for taking the time to give us feedback.

Regards