“Good but dont pay full price.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Brighton Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Brighton Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Brighton Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   143-145 Kings Road | East Sussex, Brighton BN1 2PQ, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #27 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
west mids
“Good but dont pay full price.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed for one night, the room was clean enough but the shower room was tired and very small .The double room was at the back of the hotel and very warm and stuffy, even with the windows open in November it was still very warm all night. The breakfast was ok and the staff helpful and polite. Not the greatest hotel and certainly not the worst. The location is great right on the seafront ,but the parking is £15 a night for a “mini” space at the front of the hotel.
OK for the price if you get a discount from a booking site you could do a lot worse in Brighton.

Room Tip: Park in Hove and walk 5 mins to the hotel it's only £5.00 a day.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Iain L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I aplogise we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. You found the hotel overly warm and as detailed in our guest room information fans are available from reception should you find your room warm. The radiators are also controlled in each individual bedroom. The parking does come up but with only 11 spaces they are in high demand. To overcome this issue for guest on where is the best to park we are going to add to our website complete information on parking in the city. This will also be displayed on the reception desk to ensure you are aware of your options.
Once again thank you for your review as it is you comments we use to decide how we can improve our product standards and service.

Iain Lindsay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Broomfield, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My daughter and I spent a week at the Best Western in late November 2012, in order to visit relatives in Hove.

Check-in was fine, and the staff were helpful throughout our stay. (Any time we needed a cab, we'd call downstairs maybe half an hour ahead and they'd arrange it. We also asked the desk folks for directions from time to time, and they were very helpful then as well.)

The location is really nice - right across the street from the beach. (Note: if you know Brighton, the hotel is quite near the old West Pier, and directly across the street from the bandstand.) Walk east along the seafront a few blocks and you'll come to Preston Street, which is teeming with restaurants, many of which will do take-away. Or walk a few blocks uphill to Western Road, and there are plenty of shops, including grocery stores like the Co-Operative, Waitrose and Sainsbury, department stores like Marks & Spencer, and an enclosed shopping mall called Churchill Square.

Note that all rooms are non-smoking. As we have a lot of allergies, we were thankful for that.

I was surprised when we were given our room key; it was one of the old plastic kind with a pattern of 1/4-inch holes in them. My daughter had never even seen such a key before. The weird thing was, when we asked for a second key (we often came and went independently), they said they didn't have (and couldn't make) a duplicate, and we had to just leave the one room key at the front desk for the first one back to pick up. This usually worked OK, but one time when nobody was at the front desk, I put the key in the drop slot, and when my daughter returned to the hotel, it took the staff some time to think to look there; that drop slot is apparently just for when you check out.

The floors throughout the hotel are pretty wonky - bumpy and uneven, and sometimes not very level. I couldn't figure out why I kept sliding off our room's only chair, or why I tended to literally fall into bed, but I finally realized that the floors were just that tilted.

We had something called a Superior Twin with a Side Sea View. I must say, if this room was Superior, it would be entertaining to see an Inferior one :) The room was pretty small, with a tiny bathroom (stall shower only - no tub). We had fairly dirty windows, and they only opened 10 cm. There was a tiny table, one chair, a wardrobe (which was really only useful for hanging clothing), and a very narrow table or desk thing along one wall. There were two DINKY nightstands, maybe 10" by 10", each with a lamp taking up a good deal of that small space. There was a TV, but we didn't use it. There was also a small sort of end table with the tea things (electric kettle, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, milk, and one small packet of biscuits); that tiny table had two little drawers in it.

The biggest problem was an almost total lack of storage space. When I travel, I like to unpack my stuff, and not really deal with my suitcase until I'm ready to pack up and leave. Unfortunately, the only drawers in the whole room were the ones in the tea table, and they were miniscule. A couple of small chests of drawers would have made a real difference to our comfort, and there was room for them, but they weren't provided. I had a large hard-sided suitcase with me, and it would not have been at all convenient to keep opening and shutting it, so I ended up leaving all my clothing in a pile in a corner of the room, which I found to be both uncomfortable and inconvenient.

BTW, someone remarked in their review that the rooms in the hotel were all the same; they most definitely are not, even from what little I saw! My sister-in-law was staying at the same hotel; she paid extra for a sea-view room, and the room itself was both spacious and lovely (fair enough, as she'd paid extra), but again, there was no chest of drawers, and she, too, found that both odd and inconvenient.

There wasn't really even space for the towels. (You were allotted one bath towel and one hand towel per person, per day; not sure what that reviewer meant who said there were plenty of towels.) Even with as few towels as we were given, there wasn't sufficient space to hang them. And the bathroom had only one tiny glass shelf for putting your stuff on - not really sufficient for even one person, unless you're only staying one night and you don't mind not really unpacking.

The room was fairly noisy, what with the combination of street sounds and thin walls; I'd recommend bringing ear plugs, but then, I usually need them in hotels.

I noticed a review that said there was no restaurant or bar downstairs. There is a small bar, right off the lobby, but no restaurant, other than the breakfast room.

Our room was heated via one good-sized radiator, which had a single control knob on it; you couldn't set a specific temperature to maintain, but you could figure out pretty quickly where to set the knob to get a comfortable temperature, and of course, you could drape clothing or damp towels over the radiator and they'd be dry and toasty warm shortly thereafter, which is the best thing about radiators.

The lift is tiny, but that's pretty common in this sort of old hotel, where it must have been retro-fit at some point, and they would have had to put in whatever they could jam in the space. It says it takes 3 people, or 2 if they have luggage, but if you have much luggage at all, it's a one-person lift.

The breakfast was decent, provided you got the full breakfast. (We stayed during what must be a pretty slow season, and they were running a deal where the full breakfast was almost free if you stayed for at least 3 days - that was a good deal.) Their "buffet" consisted of breads you could toast, really lovely baguettes (when they didn't run out), and a couple of cereals, so at 5 pounds, that was a lousy deal; the full breakfast included the "buffet" (that tiny offering scarcely deserves the name) as well as some set breakfasts you could order off the menu, e.g., traditional English, which included bacon, sausage, eggs done to order, beans, tomato and mushrooms. Or kippers, if you've got the stomach for them.

A couple of random notes: more pillows would have been very welcome; it was not at all comfortable to sit up and read in bed. And the rubber shower mat totally fills the floor of the tiny stall shower - which means that it blocks the drain. (Kind of silly to provide a mat that large.)

One last thing: when I checked out, our bill was close to 600 pounds for the 7 nights, which was exactly what I expected. The woman at the front desk (a nice woman from Lithuania) told me I could reclaim the VAT at the airport, as the hotel was in a tax-free zone. I wasn't expecting this, but since the VAT portion of the bill was over 90 pounds, I definitely sought out the VAT desk at the airport. The woman there told me I'd been "misled" about the VAT refund (she said it like the desk clerk had intentionally lied) - that the VAT refund is only for business travelers. I don't believe for a minute that the hotel clerk deliberately misled me; she'd been kind and helpful throughout the week, and besides, what would be the point of offering an enticement like that, when we were checking out? But it would probably be good if the staff were better informed so they wouldn't send other non-business travelers to try to reclaim their VAT.

Room Tip: The sea-view rooms are nice, but cost a bit more. The front sea-view rooms have a beautiful view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and I was pleased to read that the staff were friendly and helpful during your stay. The building is an Victorian and the sloping floor are the character of an older building. As you were staying for a week if you had mentioned the storage space to the reception team they would have tried to allocate you a larger room if one was available. The windows are regularly cleaned but it does depend on the weather especially southern winds from the coast deposit salt on the windows. The restriction on the opening of the windows is a UK health and safety regulation. The rooms have the same decor and furnishings and the difference is the size due to the changes in building over the years including adding bathrooms. The difference between the pricing of rooms is the sea view. We provide two hand towels and two bath towels per person. The hotel is graded a 3 star metro hotel which means limited service as we do not operate a restaurant. The restaurant is open for breakfast which includes a buffet of cereal, toast, bread and fruit juice and the cooked breakfast element is cooked to order from the menu placed on each table. Tea and coffee are served at the table. I apologise if the receptionist mislead you regarding the VAT refund at the airport. I will discuss this with the team.
Once again thank you for your comments as these are used to review our product and services.

Iain Lindsay
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Having read some not so good reviews I would not normally have reserved here but I had to book a room at the last minute in Brighton and the price was reasonable so I took it. I was very pleasantly surprised from the moment I entered the attractive reception area and met the welcoming staff. My room was recently refurbished, clean and cosy with some nice touches such as plenty of towels and biscuits on the hospitality tray. The bathroom was absolutely tiny and I had to go up and down staricases after the lift to get to my room so it would not be suitable for anyone with mobility problems. The breaksfast room was lovely with beautiful seaviews. There was a buffet of toast and cereal only and then you could order full English or something else, from the menu. Not as much choice as in some places but it was nice to be served something fresh rather than eggs which have been hanging around on a hotplate for hours! Its difficult to find a quiet hotel in Brighton as they are mostly along the seafront which has heavy traffic all night long. The hotels, such as this one, going over towards Hove are at least a bit away from the parties in the centre of town. Another plus with this particular hotel is that there are no bars or restaurants downstairs. All in all it was a very good option, good value and expect I will stay there again if I come to Brighton.

Room Tip: Generally in Brighton I wouldn't go for seaview rooms as they are on the main road and noisy
Hampshire/Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

I stayed one night, the lobby is lovely, I was told I'd been upgraded. The room was a king size with sea view. The bathroom was awkward to enter and the door almost hit the bath the room was so small, the floor was shoddy and uneven. The sofa in front of the window had lots of stains on it, yuk.
I must say the bed was amazingly comfortable and breakfast for nice, lots of choice. I wouldn't choose to stay here again although the view was amazing.

• Stayed November 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The location of the hotel is good - on the sea front but slightly away from noisy central Brighton. However, the room we stayed in (standard double) was tiny, overlooking the hotel's service area and some noisy a/c plant, and the bathroom was little more than a cupboard.

Breakfast was good, served in the restaurant downstairs, where we had fresh kippers along with the usual toast, cereals, etc.

It was adequate for a single night's stay, but I don't think we could have stayed any longer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed here with my partner for a long weekend. We arrived quite late but still recevied a big welcoming smile from the night receptionist. It was like arriving home.Throughout the whole stay the staff could not have been nicer or more keen to help. They showed us the best places to eat (Lion and Lobster is just round the corner - really worth a visit). We could turn to them any time of the day, they had an answer for all our questions.
The room was perfectly clean, nicely furnished and had a superb view of the bandstand and the west pier.
I would definitely come back to this hotel and recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
hertfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here for one night. Room was very small and the bathroom even smaller ! The room was on a fire escape, although there was a notice on the window, reading " this window does not open more than 10cm" ! so not sure how we would get out incase of a fire.

The breakfast was disappointing. There was only two choices of cereal. No fresh fruit, eg grapefruit segments,prunes etc. The full english breakfast was disappointing, although i never had it, my mate ordered it but wasn't over keen.

This hotel never offered a dinner at night.

I have stayed in a few Best Westerns and i would say that this one is the most disappointing and i would not return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to BEST WESTERN Brighton Hotel? Share your experiences!