“Great value, clean accommodation, extremely friendly staff. What more can you ask for?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Millards Hotel

You added Millards Hotel to your Saves list
Millards Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   23 Broad Street | Kemptown, Brighton BN2 1TJ, England   |
Special Offer
Book Directly
Ranked #42 of 97 Brighton B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

I appreciate honesty and that is exactly what you get with Millards and the owner, Tony. My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights and had a wonderful time. We stayed in room 1, which is the ground floor, front room. My first impression of the room was how clean it was. There is a massive bed in this room which separates into twin beds. (as it states when you come to book the room) The en-suite is small but perfectly formed. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating, especially the owner, Tony. The breakfast was really good and perfectly cooked. You could have full English. Bacon, egg, sausage, baked beans, mushrooms and a grilled tomato or a vegi version. If you don't fancy that then you could have a continental. Plenty of choice and very filling.

All in all, a very good value B & B.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I urge people to not read the reviews on this site, they are an unfair representation of the hotel.
The first time I came in contact with millards was when i rang up to change my checking in time. Tony the owner who answered was very helpful and polite thanking me for letting him know. This made me feel at ease before our visit, as i read some of the reviews and was worried.
The hotel is in a brillant location. 2 mins from the sea front, and a 5 min walk to the lanes. The taxi pulled up outside the hotel and Tony was outside. He knew my name ( from the booking) and greeted me with a huge smile.
We were lead downstairs and did leave our bags in the hallway upstairs, some reviews have said they felt uncomfortable doing this. I did not feel this was an issue i knew my bags were safe and saved my boyfriend and I having to carry our bags down and then back up again. Tony was so friendly, giving us advice on things to do in brighton. He did not demand for me to pay money he simply showed me a recepit of what i had paid and what was left for me to pay. He was kind, and welcoming.
Our room was lovely and clean and the bed was comfy. It was on the top floor and we did have quite a few stairs to walk up, but this was not a problem as some over reviews have stated.
Breakfast was served at a great time as we didnt have to get up to early with our hangovers! The food was fresh and presented well, and Tony did everything he could to make sure we had everything we wanted.

I think the people who have left bad reviews on this website have exaggerated and were most probabley very rude people themselves. I would recommend Millards hotel to anybody. Our weekend away was so enjoyable, and part of that was the great service we recieved.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I really enjoyed the stay Millard everything is just perfect.

Lovely B and B. Room was extremly clean, with everything you needed.
Tony was a WONDERFUL host, funny, helpful!!!
The freshly cooked breakfasat was fine.

If you want a central location with very good value, nicely clean and comfortable rooms this hotel is for you.

I will go back soon.:)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

Please I urge you NEVER to stay at the Millards‘Hotel!’ This is not a hotel but more of a hostel!

I booked two rooms for two nights for my best friend’s wedding for which I was the Maid of Honour with my parents in one room and my Boyfriend and Myself in the other.

On arrival, the rude owner, Tony despite our long, stressful journey demanded that I pay him immediately for the second night. So whilst my boyfriend searched the local roads for the extremely limited on-road zoned parking, I was forced to leave all our belongings including my best friend’s 3 tier wedding cake in the narrow hallway whilst I went downstairs to the office. Upon where I was faced with a barrage of ironic thank you cards adorning his desk, on reflection of our stay I can only assume these were falsified.

Once I had settled the bill, Tony gave me a patronising front door key tutorial. I felt like I a child being lectured. He then showed me to our rooms-up six flights of extremely steep stairs with loose and worn carpet-a dangerous trip hazard! This accommodation is not suitable for anyone who has reduced mobility or difficulty with stairs.

The rooms were clean and well presented with local art work on the walls but smaller than anticipated. The ‘en-suite’ was actually a small closet leaking shower and toilet. The sink was in the bedroom next to the window-no frosted glass so over-looked by the parallel street!

The early morning light coming through the ill-fitted blind interrupted any sleep possible on the hard lumpy bed.

As Maid of Honour I had a busy day ahead so the following morning (the day of the wedding), my parents and I arrived 10minutes early for breakfast (served between 0900-1030 at the convenience of the owner and staff not the paying customer!) Tony refused to allow us to sit at the breakfast table because my boyfriend was not down with us, despite the dining room being completely empty. I explained by the time we had settled at the table he would be joining us as he had just been putting on his shoes as I left the room to which Tony rudely retorted, “This is my business, only when your boyfriend is here will I be happy to seat you.”

Breakfast consisted of one small sausage, one piece of extremely fatty salty bacon, an over cooked egg, one small closed cup mushroom and half a tomato. Tony interrupted our conversation in excess of five times to unnecessarily clear an empty side plate or glass, having had to wait our selves it then felt like we were being rushed. He insisted on clearing my parents’ breakfast plates before I had finished eating. Then wiped my place setting with a dirty cloth whilst I continued to eat, leaning over right in front of me and consequently elbowing me in the face with no apology. All to remove the smallest spec of marmalade made by my toast knife, which incidentally I had also had to eat my cooked breakfast with as there was no other cutlery.

Second mornings breakfast was no better, when Tony tried to clear my mum’s plate during mid-conversation, my mum politely asked him to wait until we had finished he gave her the most evil of looks.

Upon returning home, I had an email from www.bookdirectrooms.com requesting a review of our stay. Along with praise regarding the excellent location, artwork and room presentation, I felt it necessary to provide some constructive criticism particularly regarding the poor customer service we had received, the poor fitting blind in our room and the worn and loose carpet on the steep stairs. I was horrified when I received this completely unjustified response from the owner, “Having read your review I would not have expected anything different...My team and I thought you were a petulant, spoilt little girl. We certainly don’t want people such as you at our lovely guesthouse. GROW UP AND DON’T COME BACK... Tony. Owner of Millards”
I was deeply shocked and upset by his aggressive unjustified response and decided to look up other reviews to see if his lack of basic customer service and rudeness had been witnessed by anyone else. Sadly I was relieved that others had very similar experiences, clearly this is a problem with the owner and not the customers!!! I only wished I had checked these reviews before booking, having read other reviews I feel we actually escaped lightly! Sadly, for me the stress of our stay at the Millards tainted a lovely wedding weekend.

I NEVER plan to ever return to the Millards ‘Hotel’ and urge you not to stay there either!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Tony & his team gave us a warm welcome to this great value guest house which is in a superb location.
We have stayed there twice now and been very satisfied with our rooms and the breakfast - Tony even upgraded us once!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

First of all, I'd like to point out my wife and I have stayed in various accomodation ranging from the cheap 3* in the Canaries to the Cape Grace in SA so I feel we have sampled a great deal the world has to offer. If you are seeking a B&B in Brighton with a great central location, comfortable spacious rooms with a tailored breakfast inclded in the price I cannot fault this great stay..... I'm not entirely sure where the bad reviews came from, perhaps a bad day or not getting any? The attention Tony (The owner) gave to each individual guest was paramount.... He made all guests feel welcome and no request went unanswered... We have already arranged another visit with two friends of ours to join us in a couple of months, we shall needless to say be revisiting the Millards. Great place, great people...... The 150+ (I know it sounds sad, I counted) thank you cards speak for themselves.... Thank you Tony and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Paul & Sav

Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Me and my boyfreind stayed at millards and omg we was gob smacked from the moment we went down to the owners basement! he was soo rude to other customers that were there when we had arrived and they looked highly dissapointed, and his attitude was shocking. when we finally arrived to our room ( 7 flights up!!!!) me and my boyfreind just wanted to get out of there and be left alone. we felt very uncomfotable and would advise everyone to NOT go to this place! terrible..

Room Tip: as soon as u see the sign, run!!!!!