“Friendly and close to all amenities” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ship Street, Brighton BN1 1AD, England   |
Ranked #11 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Friendly and close to all amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Took a break at short notice to Hotel Du Vin, Brighton. Check was very pleasant and receptionists were very helpful.
Rooms were not of a large size but when you are this close to the sea and centre it was a good compromise.
prices for drinks are quite expensive but bar area and courtyard are very pleasent.
Staff very friendly and helpful, would definetly return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I'd stayed at the Hotel du Vin in Brighton before and liked it a lot, but this time it didn't win me over - and I'm not sure I'd stay there again.

I had a courtyard room - and staying in it myself I really didn't like the darkness they have in daytime and the need to keep the lights on in mid-July. It's also not good having people sitting close by drinking in the public areas and able to walk right past your window. Noise was manageable, but the courtyard drinking areas weren't closed at 10.30pm as implied.

The welcome was pretty perfunctory along with a request for a credit card guarantee even though the room was fully pre-paid; and the 'included' breakfast doesn't include the cooked options.

On the plus side, beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are great; but air-con was noisy.

All in all, I wouldn't say this was good value at a price well above £200; and I suspect Hotel du Vin need to freshen up their rooms and their approach.

Room Tip: Avoid the courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Cambs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Have just returned from a night at this hotel, together with my son and his wife. My husband was unwell on arrival at noon, (check-in is from 3pm) and just wanted to sit down and watch the TV while we went looking around The Lanes. A young lady on reception went out of her way to find a public room which wasn't being used and where he could sit quietly and watch TV. When we returned at 2pm and asked if either room would possibly be ready the same lady checked and found out that ours was, a young man then said he would go and find my husband and take him and the bags to the room. By the time I got to my husband the young man had appeared and was true to his word. Everything has been said before about how nice the rooms are (although a mirror to do your make-up/shave in our room, Swiss Wine, would be appreciated!) - and they do vary in size - ours was generous and had a side sea view if you looked, but my son's, Torres, was smaller with a view over roof tops, dinner was good, breakfast excellent - the best breakfast we have had anywhere. In fact we have stayed previously at another hotel in Brighton and came here specially for the fantastic breakfast, so we knew it was good. My son could not decide what to have and the waitress kindly agreed to allow him to have a piece of French toast as well as his Eggs Benedict - I realised afterwards I had been charged £16.95, the cost of a cooked breakfast, for this - however it was refunded when I pointed out that had I been made aware of this he would not have had it! It was nice to feel cared about by the front of house staff who are exemplary and also by the lady who dealt with my email about the breakfast charge when I got home. Thank you to those involved, you are a credit to Hotel du Vin.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Checked in on Sunday with my boyfriend and dog. Greeted very warmly by the chap on reception he explained in detail where we could park and showed us to our room 'Hammerpot'. I loved the fact that the rooms are named not numbered and we were given a key not some silly card which never works! Room was clean, bathroom impressive and catered for our spaniel with a bowl and bed- bonus!
We set off for a wander round Brighton, the hotel is in such a fab location so we could find the 'Laines' and sea at ease. After a few drinks on the beach and a potter around the beautiful shops we headed back to the hotel and ate in nearby 'Pub du Vin' which was fab!
I'm really surprised that some reviews are so negative particularly about the staff. Every member of staff were so pleasant and welcoming.
Recommend this hotel for the location, staff, room and food, also the way they treated our little cocker spaniel.

Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

About 15 minutes walk from the train station, easy to find and right next to the beach and the lanes (shopping), this hotel is perfectly located for a tourist visit. The Pavillion is only a 5mins walk away. However, the hotel feels a little dated, the Superior room on the small side, and if you book bed and breakfast, it only includes continental without this being made clear (we only found out at check out when we noticed a £5 charge for a cooked dish).

Staff were friendly, but having stayed in many hotels, big and small, this place did not quite live up to our expectations (this is our first HDV stay) and we feel it is slightly overpriced for what you get (probably paying for the brand rather than the actual amenities).

• Stayed July 2013
Prestwood
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have stayed in Hotel du Vin's multiple times, but our experience this time was awful. The short version is the staff were all very young, laid back, and seemed not to care. The property is nice and the rooms although on the small side are very well appointed.

We were staying at the hotel for a wedding on a Saturday. We arrived on the Friday afternoon and found it very hard to park outside due to the limited drop off area (the hotel has no carpark). Once we got inside the hotel we were made to wait to check in as they only had one member of staff on reception. After getting to our room we went down-stairs to the bar for some food. The service was pretty poor from a generally disinterested guy who was more interested in chatting to other members of staff than from taking our order. The next meal we ate in the hotel was breakfast - once I managed to order it took over 30 mins for the meal to come and again the general level of service was poor. The wedding was well organised and the staff working the event were brilliant, however the next day over 8 guests had food poisoning (including the bride). I told the lady on reception that I had been sick throughout the night and she said that she had heard of 6 other rooms checking out that also had been sick. The manager turned up and told me I HAD TO FILL IN A 12 PAGE FORM! I told him I did not have to fill in anything, but would be writing to their head office the next day. He brought me the form anyway, which turned out to be 3 pages and only about 6 questions and I have yet to hear back from them. Not once did I receive an apology or an offer of a refund. It also turns out that I overpaid for my room as all the wedding guests had been given a group rate which had not been applied to my room. It is no wonder that the company that owns Hotel du Vin have gone into administration.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We have stayed in Hotel du Vin, Brighton several times now and it is always a joy.
We were well looked after by the staff, professional, respectful, friendly and efficient especially Yukari who sorted out my on line booking problem (totally my fault) without any issues at all. Many thanks for that.
Rooms are beautifully appointed and very well decorated. Bar is brilliant and the refurbishment of this old building has been done really well
Go and enjoy this place as we do. Will never stay in another hotel in Brighton again: has to be Hotel du Vin every time

Room Tip: All good but if you have the suites which are alot more money you will love it
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel du Vin? Share your experiences!