“Lovely evening” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #197 of 872 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Buffet, Late Night
Description: THE ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE IN TRADITIONAL HOME COOKED GUJARATI AND OTHER INDIAN REGIONAL FOOD. We began selling our home cooked food from our grocery shop in Lewes. The reaction was so positive that it inspired us to sell fresh, as well as frozen food throughout shops in Sussex and Surrey. We expanded the business and moved to Station Street in Lewes. Further success inspired us to open CHAULA'S INDIAN RESTAURANT IN LEWES 2007 AND IN BRIGHTON 2012. We believe that Indian cuisine is a combination of subtle taste. Flavours are as varied as the climate and exotic as the people of India. The appreciation of spices and combination is an acquired art and can only be achieved after many, many years of studied blending, cooking and tasting. At Chaula's, value our patron's opinions and concerns in the modern day world of health consciousness- our scrumptious food is prepared only with Sunflower Oil that is low cholesterol and freshly ground spices, without the use of artificial flavours and colourings. WE ONLY USE FRESH CHICKEN AND MEAT. I have worked very hard to perfect this fine art without compromising on taste and authenticity. We are confident that after sampling our culinary delights you would agree that there is nothing but the best at Chaula's. We take pride in welcoming you again and again. WE ARE RENOWNED FOR OUR SIGNATURE DISHES. "THE FOOD OF INDIA, NOT JUST INDIAN FOOD" We hope you enjoy the experience. -CHAULA & JANAK
“Lovely evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

There were 12 of us, we booked ahead without knowing the restaurant and were treated to a lovely evening with good food and friendly, attentive staff.

Visited June 2013

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I'm not potraying myself as an expert, I'm just someone who loves curry and travels the UK a lot so gets to visit a lot of different curry houses

I recently stayed in Brighton and decided to give Chaula's a go. Overally I would describe it as average. I wouldn't really recommend it, I wouldn't return.

I thought the naan bread was nice but the dishes were a bit salty for my liking and the rice was average

The thing I hated was the 10% surcharge on the bill. I know you can ask for this to be removed but I just absolutely hate the whole concept of it.

I can see other visitors have called it a 'hidden gem' etc which has become a bit of a cliche in Trip Advisor reviews but personally I would just call it 'average'

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I'm a huge fan of the Chilli Pickle in Brighton. When I couldn't get a booking there a friend recommended Chaula's, saying it's just as good and cheaper. I'd fancied trying Chaula's for a while as lots of friends had said how great it was.

Sadly I was hugely disappointed. The staff, decor and ambience were friendly and welcoming - that wasn't the problem. It was simply the food that let it down.There was nothing inspiring or different about it, which was surprising. The chutney's served with the slightly stale tasting poppodoms weren't anywhere near as nice as the Gheeta's chutney I have at home. And the curries we ordered were just very bog standard - nowhere near as nice as a curry I could buy at M&S or make myself. Such a shame as the staff were lovely. And I'm so sorry to write a bad review - but I expected better.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
chaulap, Owner at Chaula's, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Hi sir/madam sorry for the disappointment we take great care and proud ourselves on our food.
Mango chutney and lime pickle are not made on premises and they are compliments from us.
Would appreciate what curries you had so we can investigate further. Looking forward to see you again for better.
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious food in twee surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Recommended by hotel and already up the stakes on here, we decided to give this one a go. Located in the heart of things, near the seafront and town centre, it did not disappoint. Intimate and traditionally decorated (with a vast array of cultural additions), the food was darn good too. One avoidance would be the dairy free naan, totally unpalatable but the remainder of our food was spot on delicious. The usual dishes are there but they are surrounded by a vast choice of more unusual dishes on offer. Great location to move on to lively bars after too

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Unusual flavours - that's not a compliment!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Went in search of decent Indian food and was a little disappointed. The food tasted like there was an amateur cook potting about in the kitchen (and that is not a compliment). The flavours weren't quite right. The decor was also gaudy and loud. Would not recommend.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
chaulap, Owner at Chaula's, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Hi very sorry to hear that you dint enjoy the food and decor. If you please let us know which dish you had and what was wrong we can look into this. As looking into our records no complaints of food or unhappy customers has been recorded.
Regards Chaula