“A great find in the unfashionable end of Brighton” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“A great find in the unfashionable end of Brighton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is a great little restaurant with a varied and interesting menu and good service. The décor is attractive with artistic photos on the walls. The place was busy when we were there, on a Saturday afternoon, and had a lively atmosphere. The food is good and the prices are very reasonable for what you get. Three of us ate well here, including drinks, for £40.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Loughborough, England, United Kingdom
“So good I went back next evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

As a semi regular to the Kemptown area, which is spolit with good eateries some of which are a little on the pricey side I thought it worth giving Cornel's a look, Well worth it, a friendly greeting, honest description and information from knowledgeable cheerful staff, who have a sense of humour. Speedy efficient service, and sumptuous food. I opted for the Smoked Esplanade burger which was the best burger I have EVER tasted, tender, moist and well presented. I and my friend were so impressed we dined their again the following evening. A definite MUST TRY AGAIN

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Understaffed but great food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I've been here a few times and always at the weekend when I come down from crawly. It's a lovely place but they seem to never have enough staff on, as a waitress myself I can tell when a member of staff is putting on a smile and is obviously stressed from running around trying to make everyone happy but can't because it's impossible to give a great service with one waitress to 20 tables which it looks like is happening here. The place has great potential in a lovely area and food was above average.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Hove
“Mmmm....this IS a tasty burger...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Possibly the best burger I've eaten to date. A bold claim indeed.

As a take away customer I can't say much about the service other than I got a smile when I Walked in which is always a good start.

But back to the burger. I don't eat a lot of meat, so when I do I like to eat the best quality I can find. I ordered the mushroom burger and went double, and it did not dissapoint. The beef was so tasty and the burger itself had that homemade look and texture.. It had a generous helping of mushrooms,a slathering of horseradish and salad. I've been to GBK a few times which I rate, but this one took the top spot.

I'm interested to go back and check out more of the menu, and the service which clearly takes a beating on here.

One very sated customer.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Crappy Cornel's”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I don't think I've ever left a restaurant and walked straight home to write a review... for all the wrong reasons! I went to Cornel's today with my boyfriend, he had the all-day breakfast; I had eggs Florentine. My food came first - cold plate, un-toasted, chewy muffin, raw spinach, egg with the added bonus of shell (what a treat!), and... hollandaise sauce. This was a runny, bitter mess, miles away from the usual smooth, yolky, buttery pillow you'd expect to find on top of your eggs. When my boyfriend's breakfast finally came I was already half-way through my meal. Everything, bar the tomato, was cold. The term 'all-day breakfast' at Cornel's seems to suggest that they made it yesterday and left it out to go cold all day long.

The staff are miserable and confused. They resemble those people who have either lost their friends or their senses at the end of the night in a dodgy club. When we walked in, no-one approached us or even smiled to acknowledge our presence. For some reason there are no menus on the tables which means you either have to flag down a bored looking waiter/ waitress, or get up to get one yourself from the bar area. I heard swearing from the kitchen area as well, utterly unprofessional. The place was a third full when we visited; I dread to think what it's like when it's busy (which I doubt it ever is).

Such a wasted opportunity in a lovely part of Brighton. I genuinely hope they have a massive overhaul of their food and service, otherwise they deserve to go and for someone who knows what they're doing to set up shop. Oh, and to the one lone voice in this sea of bad reviews suggesting that they have been written by the competitors... they haven't. In fact, perhaps you're one the 'chefs' at Cornel's trying to turn the tide of criticism?

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere