“Afternoon tea on a budget” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea on a budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We attended afternoon tea on a snowy Monday in March as a belated Christmas present for my Mum. I had heard good things about the restaurant and that the interior of the hotel had been re-decorated since i last attended a wedding in 2011.
The former Stanmer House has been made into a dining experience with several rooms on the ground floor made into the current restaurant and it has been done quite tastefully.
We decided to go with the full afternoon tea (around £13 pp i think) i was a little disappointed that you could only choose from tea or coffee, latte's cost additional. When the platters were brought out it was a 3 tier of beige, sandwiches, various slabs of cake and scones. Now when i booked i specifically noted that one in the party of 3 was vegetarian, seems i shouldn't have bothered as they had no note of it and became a little argumentative when i pointed it out as we ordered! If you are vegetarian then the only options are egg and cheese (grated cheese) now i don't like egg so i was left with the one option, when the sandwiches came out the edges were stale so obviously not prepared to order. The cakes were okay, a slice of lemon cake, a blueberry bun (tasted of nothing so we all left it) and what i think was madeira cake of some description...nothing very outstanding. The scones were good and had been warmed through but overall it wasn't what i was expecting in comparison to other teas i have been to. I ended up leaving half of my sandwiches and most of the cake (however we did see a cheese board brought out that did look good!). Overall i would day that it's not worth rushing here for afternoon tea, perhaps go for the lighter option (scones only i think). However i have heard good things about the evening service they provide so may will try this out before giving up. Give it a go if you have gone for a walk in Stanmer but i wouldn't go out of my way to have tea there again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Scrummy afternoon tea!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We visited on a busy Sunday for afternoon tea and I can safely say there is nothing bad to say! Despite having a full lobby and I should imagine a full restaurant after hearing the hype about Stanmer's Sunday roasts, the staff were coping excellently and were ever so friendly to us. We were greeted at the door and shown to a lovely table by the fire. We ordered 3 full afternoon teas which arrived so quickly. Fresh warm scones, beautiful cakes, lovely sandwiches and a huge pot of tea! It was such a lovely way to spend the afternoon, roaring fires, comfy sofas and friendly staff. Will definitely be coming back!

Brighton
“Perfect place for a family dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We have been here three times now and each time it gets better.
The service is excellent and friendly, from the phone booking onwards.
Open fires, high ceilings, grand rooms and yet still warm and cosy even in this dreadful weather.
The food is not pretentious but honest, quality produce. Lots of roasts, and even REAL chicken burgers, fantastic homemade beef burgers. The menu isn't vast but everything on there was tempting.
On our last visit we went with my mother who is 70 and mangages to find fault with most places... but not with this one! ;-). Even at the end of a busy Sunday the staff were attentive and happy to serve. Really enjoyed it! Thank you.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“A birthday to remember :-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have just had my first visit to such a beautiful venue. I couldn't have been taken to a nicer place to celebrate my birthday.
There was a wedding on today but we were shown upstairs to their new restaurant room. I have been told that it will be open when there are weddings on and when it's busy. It was a stunning room decorated really nicely and had clean pressed linin on the tables, not like the other rooms downstairs.
The food was delicious as always and brought to us by the friendly staff there. I always have such a great time at the house and leave feeling relaxed. Today was perfect. Thank you.

Oxsted
“Lovely venue and menu, service and presentation needs improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

In January we visited Stamner House for the first time and was very impressed. The venue is lovely and the food was delicious. We were a group of 6 and all had a Sunday roast. It was really deliciious, there were plenty of vegetables included in the price and the service was reasonable.

A week ago, I returned with my family for a mid week lunch. Unfortunately, the experience was very different. I booked a table by the fire but this was occupied so we were seated in a cold corner. Some main courses had one vegetable included in the price but most were an extra £3.50 each. The waiter was asked whether there were any meals that were gluten free but didn't return to let us know. When we finally ordered, the food took ages to come and when it arrived the presentation was terrible. No finger bowl was provided with the prawn linguine dish and no gravy or mint sauce with the lamb.The restuarant was busy but the staff seemed to forget about us and we had to keep repeating requests. When we paid the bill, the waiter took our money and did not return with the change.

• 3 of 5 stars Food