“Lovely Real Ales” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Lovely Real Ales”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

If your are a Real Ale drinker or want to go to a traditional British pub then when visiting Brighton pop in here, we did and enjoyed the experience.

There were 4 real ales on tap, the barman let me try 2 before I choose the Brighton best at a gravity of 3.8, a very nice light ale, my wife also had an excellent glass of wine so we both left happy.

This is an ideal pub to have a pre-dinner drink.

London
“Best pub in Brighton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I live in London but whenever I come down to Brighton to see friends I ALWAYS have to come into the Cricketers. The atmosphere is friendly and welcoming, the bar staff are attentive and always make us feel welcome. The menu had changed since the last time I came down and I was disappointed to see the steak and ale pie had been changed; however the chicken burger is one of the best burgers I have eaten in a pub and very well presented.

I will always come back to this pub and continue to drink and eat here with pleasure.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Liphook, United Kingdom
“Poor experience.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Visited Brighton today for lunch. As it was a last minute decision we didn't look up places to eat beforehand. Came across the pub and decided to go in. Soup ok when it eventually came but only luke warm. Then had to wait for main courses and when they did arrive they were disappointing. Pastry on the pie wasn't cooked properly (filo/puff pastry was seared on the top but virtually uncooked below, 1/2 inch of stodge albeit just edible) greenery on plates looked tired and all in all not great. Had to wait ages for our puddings which were pretty inedible. Limited choice of desserts (only 2 available, and at £6 each not cheap) and both pretty awful. Eton mess with unbreakable pieces of meringue (our 17 yr old son gave up trying in case he broke the glass the mess was in!) and the brownies were just diabolical. We were on a tight time schedule and service was extremely slow, when the plates were cleared we asked if all ok we said no not really and explained about the undercooked pastry, but got little or no response or even a show of concern!
One of our worst experiences in recent times - a shame as it was a celebratory lunch for our children's AS and A level results and our daughters place at Sussex uni. We certainly won't be back when she's living in Brighton!
Maybe we just picked the wrong day to go but we have been fair in giving this review - we are experienced TA reviewers and always try to find the positives where possible. Unfortunately little to commend from this visit. Interested to see whether the pub management have any comments to make!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, England, United Kingdom
“From bad to worse”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I had the best Sunday roast in my life here last year and have raved about it to all my friends. So last week when we were in Brighton on a business trip, we made sure we didn't miss a meal here.

When we got in, the place wasn't particularly busy. We ordered straight away (the menu looked great) however, ordering the food took about 15 mins as I had to repeat myself over and over again - the guy serving me didn't seem to know what anything was or where he was.

When we had eventually ordered we then waited over an hour for our starters while everyone around us who had come in after us were already eating their mains and were getting attentive service. The staff didn't even acknowledge or apologise for the wait.

When our starters finally arrived, the portions were elephantine. This is usually not a negative thing but when they offer a 2 course set menu for £16 I expect to be able to finish it all and not feel like I'm wasting food. We ordered the Bacon and Celeriac soup which was so bland - absolutely no seasoning and the bacon was non-existent. This made me furious as it sounded so good on the menu (plus there was about 10 gallons of it).

We ordered 2 portions of the Duck Scotch Eggs which were good, and the homemade piccalilli was really tasty - but these were gigantic and were actually on the menu as a bar snack (but ended up being my main meal...)

Next starter was the Fish cake which was good, salad was huge. And the Bacon Avocado salad was also massive and quite generic. I had to ask the servers to clear our plates as they were sitting there for ages. They didn't notice a full bowl of soup and didn't ask how it was.

On to the mains. We ordered 2 portions of the BBQ Ribs and Chicken (£11) which were burnt beyond recognition. It was such a let down looking down at a plate of black ribs and NO CHICKEN.

When I went to complain, instead of apologising his first response was "It's supposed to be like that" and I was like, what, it's supposed to be burnt to a crisp? I'm gonna get sick if I eat that. *Can I just stop you here and say I am a chef and I run my own restaurants so I know food and I certainly know Ribs* At this point, I told him to take it away - adding that there was also no chicken on either of the plates to which he muttered under his breath "I think I mentioned it when I was taking your order" This was a complete lie. He could barely understand what was on that menu let alone what food is. And if I had known there wasn't gonna be any chicken on there I would never have ordered it, let alone pay the full £11.

He offered me a refund for the 2 Rib dishes, which I took. But no apology, no drink on the house and after spending about £100 on food and drink in there I was disgusted and felt cheated in every way.

I eat out regularly, and this is by far the worst service and the worst food I have ever had the misfortune of experiencing. And the worst thing is that if the staff had just offered us a round of drinks on the house, I probably wouldn't be writing this right now.

Message to the manager: Train your staff. They haven't got a clue about customer service. And they're rude.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Walkington, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money - pub food at its best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Cricketers is situated a short walk from the sea front and Brighton Pier. We were lucky to find a table in the Green Room and four of us enjoyed meals of a standard far higher than you can usually expect from pub food, and at a price far lower than I would have expected to pay in most restaurants.

Excluding the steak option, main meals hover around the £9 - £11 mark. Baguettes are just over £7. Side orders all at £3. Having placed our order at the bar I spied a stack of onion rings on the way back to our table and went back to add this to our order. Having grown accustomed to the usual pub fare of mass-produced, deep fried, crumbed onion rings, these home-made rings,lightly battered and fried were certainly the best I have ever eaten - don't miss them!

Its always nice choosing something a little different on a menu and my wife and I both chose the Haloumi burger served on a bun with a field mushroom and beef steak tomato. My mouth still waters at the very thought of it!

A great range of beers is available although we were driving and so didn't venture into the selection.

This pub represents excellent value for money and an eating experience that surpasses that of many more expensive eateries. The Cricketers certainly knocked us for six!

• 5 of 5 stars Food