“A nice spanish escape from bustling Brighton pride :)” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Tapas
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
London, United Kingdom
“A nice spanish escape from bustling Brighton pride :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Came for a late lunch, the place was finally half empty and we were able to choose our own table. I must note that all tables were a bit dirty from previous visitors, but it didn't prevent us from having a wonderful time. As vegetarians we didn't have a lot to choose from, but everything we did have (excluding the aubergine dish) was lovely! along with chilled Spanish beers - the perfect ending to a lovely day. Keep it up, we will be back.

• Visited September 2012

87% Recommend
“Good traditional tapas, just like Spain !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

There are many 'Spanish style' Tapas restaurants, however this one meets the original aims.
The word "tapas" is derived from the Spanish verb tapar, "to cover".
This was a practical measure meant to prevent fruit flies from hovering over the sweet sherry. The meat used to cover the sherry was normally ham or chorizo, which are both very salty and activate thirst. Because of this, bartenders and restaurant owners began creating a variety of snacks to serve with sherry, thus increasing their alcohol sales and tapas eventually became as important as the sherry (wiki)

Good service, and tasty food. Don't expect fancy tables and chairs, however if you are happy sharing some wonderful cheaply priced good food amongst friends with a good bottle of two of wine you can't go wrong. The restaurant is small, service good and very tasty. Highly recommend the Oxtail, the plates of local spanish ham and cheese, chicken with paprika and of course chorizo. You can keep adding dishes as you go, and if like us you see something tasty on someone else's table, you can say can I have one of those too !! - For 2 of us, pre Theatre meal, we tried loads on the menu - about 8 dishes and a bottle of nice Spanish wine and it was under £50 - a bargain !!

Its the sort of place you can pop in and have a glass or two of wine and a few plates of simple food or go the whole hog and try several dishes and enjoy ! - it was nice hearing Spanish being spoken throughout and if it was not for the typical English weather, you might think you are in Spain !!

Brighton
“Very impressive and authentic...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Went here a couple of weeks ago on a Wednesday with my family. We arrived at 7pm and nabbed the last table. I live on the same street and it's always bustling, which is a great sign, and now that I've sampled the food I can see why. The decor is rustic and simple, and it's probably not the best place for somebody with backache as the seating is stools rather than chairs. We started off with some fino's (chilled sherry) which were a bit strong for me, but the rest of my family loved them. We ordered both types of croquettes which were gorgeous- sensible portions and very nicely presented. The aioli (which they presumably make themselves) is some of the strongest and tastiest I've ever had. We ordered the obligatory chorizo, which was excellent, a selection of andalucian fried fish, which was also excellent. There were other dishes but I fear by this point I was possibly gobbling without mentally noting what I was eating!The real star of the show for me was the calamari- easily the best i've ever had. Crisp on the outside, incredibly fresh squid, and not at all tough- a trap that even the best restaurants fall into. The service was good, if a tiny bit slow taking the initial drinks order, but they were rushed off their feet so it's totally understandable. After eating enough to know that I wouldn't be able to fit into my newly purchased dress the next day we got the bill. I was pleasantly surprised to see that three sherries, a bottle of decent red and enough food for three people to feel embarrassingly gluttonous came to £70. Would return here in a heartbeat as it is the most authentically like the good quality Spanish tapas bars that I have sampled in Brighton. Very impressive.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Used to be very good - now awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I have eaten here 3 times. The first two times were very good and not too long ago. This weekend we went and it was bl**dy awful! my friend has just text me to tell me she went recently also and it was crap. I only wish I had spoken to her before I went this weekend.
Apparently under new management - such a shame! the food and service WERE great but I would never go back there now.
Don't bother! plenty of better places in Brighton.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Tiny Tapas Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is a miniture gem of a cafe with a real spanish atmosphere, the tiny tables are packed closely together and there are only hard stools to sit on, but the food is so good you don't mind the inconvenience. It was very busy the evening we went, and how the single waitress managed to cope with so many people so quickly and cheerfully was really impressive. We started with very tasty olives and anchovies and then had a selection of tapas all excellent but the squid was exceptionally good. The desserts made from fresh fruit were also outatanding.

• Visited July 2012