“Adequate, if a touch pricey!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New Steine Hotel

You added New Steine Hotel to your Saves list
New Steine Hotel
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   10-11 New Steine | Kemp Town, East Sussex, Brighton BN2 1PB, England   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #47 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
“Adequate, if a touch pricey!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Hotel Central for town and beach, just off the sea front. Room - double for single occupancy was just adequate. Some fitting a little tied, basic tea tray hidden in a bottom drawer. Toilet/shower small but again adequate. Breakfast good if a little oily, restaurant full at 9.30 and staff were able to offer only basic service, and the the room doubles as reception! Staff friendly but lacking when pushed. Room blinds let in a lot of light!. All ok but lacking.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you for your review and we will take all your comments on board to see if we can make improvements so as not to inconvenience other guests.

We do hope you will choose us again next time your visit Brighton.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Coventry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

I had booked a room online at nearby Gullivers Hotel but on arrival was told that I'd been allocated a room at New Steine, which is owned by the same people. It turned out to be pleasant enough, though the single room was tiny. Just enough room for a single bed, wardrobe, sink and shower cubicle, with the use of a shared toilet on a lower floor. Not exactly a place to write your memoirs (there was no room for a desk or even a chair) and difficult to make a cup of tea, though facilities for this were helpfully provided. Still, the location was excellent (close to the seafront and the city centre), the cooked breakfast was good quality, the staff were friendly and efficient, and the price was very reasonable. The hotel does have larger rooms but if solo travellers are looking for an inexpensive room in a decent hotel, the New Steine offers a perfectly acceptable option.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your review and I am sorry if the room you received was not as you expected. Our singles, though compact, offer a cheap stay option within a 4 star hotel, and we always receive good comments about the facilities. The toilet facilities are not shared, as there are adequate number for each room, but I do hope you did not find this too much of an inconvenience.

We hope you will choose to visit with us again in the future
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Unlike many places around Brighton, this establishment has on street parking outside, if you have a disabled badge, parking is free! If not the b & b sell the parking permits inside and parking is free at night, between certain hours. The property is centrally located for the pier and beach (5 mins. walk) and the main shopping area is a 10-15 minute walk away. There are also some local shops and bars in the immediate vicinity (Kemp town) along with several convenience stores should you forget anything. The staff were all very friendly and nothing was too much trouble if you asked. The room (in this case 102) was adequate for a night or 2, usual things, kettle (although I had to put it on the floor, as I could not make the lead reach the top, due to position of tv), milk, bottle of water, sugar, tea, coffee and a packet of bickies etc. The room was clean and fresh apart from the smell of tobacco in the corridor, when you entered or left the room ( from managers office!) The bathroom was a little tight, (particularly if like me you are a larger gentleman), but for a couple of days not a massive problem, the sink has a shelf above, but unfortunately for me, it caused me a problem at 6 foot tall, when I tried to brush my teeth, it got in the way. On a plus point, the bathroom had a shower, soap, shower gel, shampoo and hand cream in the usual small bottles. Unfortunately for us, my wife is disabled and as this was a last minute change of venue,(we had booked Hamptons hotel, No3, but the rooms we were shown were damp, one room the radiator was leaking and the bathroom light didn't work, the ceilings were mouldy and paper coming down all over place etc.) so we booked into the New Steine, they kindly gave us a ground floor room, for easier access, so I can't moan too much. On the point of access, if you are in a wheelchair, then unless I missed something, this B & b, like many in Brighton, will not be for you, due to stair access only. The bed was comfortable, although being on the ground floor by the main entrance/exit and staff areas (office) it was too noisy for a light sleeper like me, but the wife didn't have the same problem (she sleeps through almost anything!), so maybe choose a room higher up away from entrance if you too sleep badly.
Onto breakfast, Saturday was excellent, choice of Full English or continental, toast/jam marmalade/honey (in pots), tea, coffee, orange juice plus one other, along with a choice of cereals and although the young man was from France and was training, he was exceptionally good and polite. The only draw backs at breakfast were the toast baskets had what appeared to be mildew and other deposits in some of them, but once I pointed this out, the wicker was covered with a serviette (stainless steel is good for a reason, personally I would chuck the baskets away and get some nice china racks, that match the tea service. The table for 2 is a little crowded for everything, but we simply put items on table next to us, but it might be a problem if busy. Other than on Sunday the breakfast had clearly been left in an oven too long (sausages and bacon) as they were not of the same quality (over cooked and dry) as the previous day. All in all a good little b& b just off the sea front, far away from the night life noise, but closer enough to walk where you need to go, or simply get a taxi back, as these are everywhere. Bon Apetite!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and thank you for all your comments. These will be taken on board and our Management team will look into the issues you highlighted to make improvements for future guests.

I do hope you choose to stay with us again soon.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I stayed here with friends in a triple room on a shopping trip. The room was pleasant and suited our needs, with plenty of room. The bathroom was very small but again served its purpose. The hotel had a nice interior and the staff were all helpful. Breakfast was nice, nothing unique but well cooked and good quality. The hotel is in a period property so is narrow with lots of floors. The reception area is in the restaurant which got quite cramped at times, and could be a little awkward but nothing too bad. Overall I would say this is a nice stopover if you are out exploring Brighton.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Have a very Merry Christmas and we hope to welcome you back again in the New Year.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I stayed for a weekend in early October 2013. I was very comfortable in my bedroom, which was nicely decorated and had a good bathroom. The staff were polite and helpful. The breakfast was very good, you could have what you wanted. I had the evening meal on both evenings and it was excellent. I liked the relaxed, intimate atmosphere of the dining room. The hotel is in a good location close to the sea front and the pier.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and I am so glad you enjoyed every element of your stay. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stayed here in a triple room with my father and son on the Sunday night during the recent Hurricane / bad weather. We were checked in and shown to our room by a manageress, who was very pleasant and friendly. The hotel can provide parking permits to guests, that allow on-street parking for 24 hours at a time, in three nearby streets, for £7.50, which in Brighton is a very good price. Our room had a double and a single bed, which although disappointing, I had hoped for three single beds, was manageable. The room was very nicely appointed, with an attractive bay window , with table and chairs,that overlooked the square, and yes there was a sea view, I suppose we were about 300yards from what on that night was a very choppy sea.
The ensuite shower room was a snug fit, with little room to manouver, but nicely decorated, and the shower was hot.
Beds were comfortable. We were given a key to access the hotel, so that we were able to come and go as we pleased.
Breakfast was included in our room rate, our pleassant manageress from the day before was on duty serving coffe and taking breakfast orders. The coffee was hot, plentiful and good, we opted for the full English whch was very nicely presented, and had a particularly good organic local sausage.
I chose the hotel to be near my other son's accommodation, as the purpose of our week-end was both social, and to help him move out of his flat, but it was also very central, and walking to the LANES in the evening took about 10-15 minutes.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us - we do have a selection of triples with 3 single beds as well but I believe none were available when you booked.

I do hope you choose to return to stay with us again soon.
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the New Steine Hotel for a weekend in October 2013 and we enjoyed every minute. The deluxe room décor was even better than the picture: the bed was comfortable, the wardrobe spacious, and the bathroom clean and well-finished. But the staff were the highlight of our stay. The welcome was very warm, and everyone we met was happy to help with all our needs. They really were excellent.

The only negative was the window that needs to be double-glazed, as the glass is so thin you can hear a dog bark from across the street, let alone the noise of the traffic (which to be fair was minimal as the hotel is situated in a fashionable square) and passing pedestrians.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Been to New Steine Hotel? Share your experiences!