“Excellent week end in Brighton” 5 of 5 stars
Review of New Steine Hotel

Save Saved
You added New Steine Hotel to your Saves list
New Steine Hotel
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   10-11 New Steine | Kemp Town, East Sussex, Brighton BN2 1PB, England   |
Ranked #41 of 98 Brighton B&B and Inns
London
“Excellent week end in Brighton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed in the New Steine Hotel the week end of 26th & 27th January, 2013 in a Single on a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast week end rate. Excellent value for money. A nice welcome upon arrival and the room was adequet for my needs. Shower and wash basin and toiletries. Coffee and tea making and a flat screen TV. Small bottle of water on writing table. The Restaurant Dinner and breakfast was made with fresh local products. Service as good. All the staff was friendly and was happy to assist to make my visit most enjoyable. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

We do hope you return to stay with us again soon.

430 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We first came across the New Steine last October when we used some Dining Experience vouchers we had been given as a gift. We had a 5 course tasting menu which was delicious. Our waiter, Stefan, turned out to be one of the owners - it is run by a Parisian family - and was a little star. After dinner we had drinks at the bar and booked a short break for January as we had booked to see a show.

We stayed in a nice little sea view room on the 2nd floor. Spotless and well equipped, if a little small. Bathroom was spacious though and the shower was hot and powerful.

Breakfast the next day was yummy, all sourced locally - the sausages are scrumptious! The dining room can get very busy though it is quite small and used by customers staying at their sister hotel - Gullivers - next door. So try an get down there at a reasonable time.

Recommened.

Room Tip: Sea view, 2nd floor or above.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I do hope we get to welcome you back again soon.
Milton Keynes, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We booked in the Gulliver Hotel in the New Steine, Brighton to visit friends and family and we wanted a central location. After arriving at the hotel we were moved to the New Steine Hotel. Cannot comment on the hotel we never got to see, but can comment on the one we stayed in.

Advertised as a 4 star AA hotel, I guess this is for the amenities free wifi, bar, restaurant and location close to the seafront and the centre of Brighton. The plusses, it was clean it had a family room, the restaurant area was in reasonable condition. The staff were very attentive and helpful.

The minuses, this is not a hotel in my book but a large B&B, but they can call it what they like, perhaps its a boutique hotel. I liked the breakfast other members of my party did not, but they can be more fussy than me, it was perfectly adequate.

Our room in a basement was stifling hot with no means of control, we had to sleep with windows and basement door open to control the heat, not safe at all. A bad night sleep was add by all. We had three single beds and it would have been better with a double and a single and perhaps more room to move. None of the toilets bath area had curtains even though windows were opaque, still not good enough for total privacy. The lighting should have been reversed, soft lighting on bedside lamps and more powerful lamps on the ceiling. Also the door to the bath area did not lock meaning anyone using the bathroom basically flooded the darkened room with light.

I have stayed here before many years ago, there have been massive improvements as I swore never to go back. A major seafront hotel was advertising a family room for the same price. Neverthless some people will love the hotel and some will not find it to their taste, I am a big brand hotel person but we were looked after and it was a quick trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry if it was not 100% as expected. We do, on occasion, move people from our Gulliver's to our New Steine Hotel - the Hotels are next door to each other and the rooms are of the same standard, but we like to ensure that larger families are within our New Steine property where our restaurant and bar are, for easier service.

The room you had could have been set up as a Double and Single, but when booked as a triple we have to assume 3 single beds unless otherwise stated, so I am sorry this was not appropriate for your party.

I am glad that you enjoy the location, the restaurant and the service of the staff, as we do pride ourselves on the service element.

With regards your maintenance issues (heating and room lighting) I have passed this onto our General Manager to look into the issues and see what we can do to resolve these for future guests, and I do hope you will choose us again in the future.
Kent, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed here Thursday 3rd jan for my boyfriends birthday, staff were very friendly and the room was very nice too. I chose the deluxe room which has lovely big windows to the front so you can see the sea. The decor was modern and just to my taste, bathroom was also newly done and a good size. The bed was really comfy too, we slept very well, could have been bigger but then we are used to our super king!! Overall, couldn't fault it in any way, just lovely!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

I do hope you choose to return again soon.
Nottingham, England, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Our recent stay (Jan '13) was excellent. A super little B&B close to the centre and just off the seafront. It is clean, comfortable and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfasts are super - using as much locally sourced food as possible. For the price paid the service, room, location and breakfast were excellent. We have stayed before and will do again. The only observation is that there is no lift so if you are less able - ask for a room on the lower floor.

Room Tip: Go deluxe for a little more space
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

On arrival the welcome was poor and the staff didnt come across as approachable or welcoming.

The room decor was not nice, it looked dated and slightly grim-not the type of room you would want to spend much time in. The radiator was far to hot for the room of that size and was unable to be turned off. As a result, when opening the window to cool the room down the distinct smell of cigarette smoke was drafted through the window by either staff or customers smoking outside. The noise of drunk people in the pub/building behind was very loud and as the window could not be closed due to the heat of the room was now noisey and smelled of smoke.The bed itslef was thin and lumpy and did not provide a good nigt sleep. To top it off, the dustbin collector arrived at 5am making the most hurrendus noise. In the end I gave up and left early.

On check out, again staff seemed like they didnt care, there was no thanks for my business or invite to return. The entire feel of the place was that bad I just wanted to leave. Comparing this B&B to other ones locally it falls well below par and is not demmed in my opinion as value for money. Never would I stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I am really surprised by your review as we usually receive high praise for both our standards and our service. From what I can gather, your room was located at the back of the Hotel overlooking a Private Terrace, so I am unsure as to where the smoke smell could have come from. As for the noise, the street behind is a private residential road, but if there was noise from some persons on that street I can only apologise, but unfortunately we are unable to do anything about this. Generally, it is quiet at our Hotel, so it is unfortunate that this was not the case on this evening.

Our rooms have all been refurbished in the last two years, and the images shown on our website, we feel truly do represent what you are getting, but it may not be to everyone's taste and I am sorry if it was not suitable for yourself. Similarly, the cost of the rooms we feel is very competitive in the Brighton market, and we regularly check these against our competitors to ensure we offer value for money.

As for any staff issues, I have passed your comments onto our General Manager to look into, and can only apologise if you were treated in anyway unsatisfactorily during your stay.

I am sorry if your felt it was not as you had expected and can assure you that we usually attain high marks for our service and product, and any issues you had have been a one off.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed for one night at the hotel between Xmas and New Year. We had originally booked the hotel next door but they could not accommodate us so were given a room next door (the New Steine) which was very good. The room was clean and very big.

The breakfast was good and the service we had from the bar staff was excellent. The hotel had many good restaurants nearby ( I would eat at the Sawada Thai restauarnt again... it was excellent and only literally 2 mins from the hotel).

The only thing which was disappointing was that our room (112) in the basement was under room 102 above which was really noisy especially during the night so I would try and avoid 112 if you are a light sleeper as the guests above us were really noisy and walked around from what we thought were stilletos !!

I would stay here again but avoid room 112 !

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 112
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am glad you enjoyed your stay - with regards your comment about noise from upstairs, we do not usually have an issue with this, and I can only imagine you unfortunately had some very noisy neighbours on this occasion, for which I apologise if it spoilt any of your stay.

I do hope you choose to return to stay with us soon.

Been to New Steine Hotel? Share your experiences!