“Quirky friendly hotel with great cocktails” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   10 Regency Square, Brighton BN1 2FG, England   |
Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Quirky friendly hotel with great cocktails”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Pelirocco - we visited for two nights in between Christmas and New Year, so the hotel (and Brighton) was pretty quiet. We had the Pin-Up Parlour, a very kitsch Diana Dors themed room, and a view of the sea.

Very friendly staff, and a good cocktail menu - we ended up whiling a few hours away in the bar drinking amaretto sours - would thoroughly recommend!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

My second stay at Brighton's Hotel Pelirocco, only emphasised my first experience, I love it and the next time my travels take me to Brighton either work or pleasure I will not hesitate to stay here.
I wish all that work in this lovely little hotel the very best!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

It’s nice that the Pelirocco has a Rock n Roll USP. I also ‘get’ that it’s nice to have a change from all those neutral/beige hotels with their calming (and oh-so-predictable) interior design. I didn’t really have a problem with our room (the Jamie Reid room) although it felt rather like it had been designed and painted by a stoned, colour-blind, art student (“Hey! Let’s paint this cheap Ikea furniture BRIGHT RED & YELLOW so that it’s not so boring, man”). I was even willing not to squint very hard at the crumby finishing, threadbare carpet, and the grimy windows.

But what I’m not prepared to overlook – not for 130 quid a night – is a TINY and awkward bathroom, the shower for which only managed to produce a luke warm dribble for my (aborted) morning shower. Perhaps it’s part of the rock n roll experience to leave the hotel feeling grimy, but it’s not my idea of fun. Next time I’ll be booking a beige and boring hotel.

The bar was nice, the staff chirpy, and the breakfast okay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Kent, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

After a series of bad luck, culminating in our moving house falling through on the morning we were due to move, I took to the internet and went on Lastminute.com to see where I could go that wasn't a house full of boxes. For £150 I got a two night stay in what was termed a "swanky double" with sea view, including full English breakfast. This was for a Sunday and Monday night in early March. Sold.

I have two friends that have stayed here, both in the Betty Paige room, and they loved it. I took a look at their website and thought how great they all looked but hoped I didn't get Cissy Mo's magic garden room as it all looked a bit bonkers. Lo and behold on arrival when I excitedly asked what room we'd got I was cheerily told it was the Magic garden. The guy on reception must have seen my crestfallen look and quickly went through the other rooms that were available for our planned stay. My boyfriend stayed chatting in the bar whilst I was dispatched around the full four floors with hands full of keys. The Nookii room is on the top floor with a small window and obscured view of the sea. However, if you chose this room I doubt you'd be looking out of the window much. It was small and well appointed but the large pink neon sign and bed resplendent with black satin bedclothes were a bit over powering for me. I then went to the Punk room again this was small with lovely cheery yellow walls but I felt I could do better, I sneaked into the Diana Dors room (which wasn't available for the full stay but I was given the keys to have a peek) it was fabulous very grand and full of a rather over the top yet elegant glamour. So far though all had very small bathrooms with showers and then a toilet and bath in a space not much bigger than the shower. I thought I'd give Cissy Mo's a go and you know what? I loved it. it is a massive room (it has not only a king but a single bed too) and in a room that size the grass and flowers on the ceiling suddenly don't make you feel engulfed in astroturf! There was a lovely big bowed window with a good side sea view and a lovely view of the haunting beauty of the remains of the West Pier. The bathroom was twice the size of the other ones I'd seen and the room was filled with fun things like a life size stuffed golden retriever, three foot pink flamingo and a space hopper! I was sold - ok it wasn't the Betty Paige room with it's double sized bath but it was wonderful. There was a little set of chairs and table and the usual tea and coffee making facilities.

The service at the hotel was impeccable and we were always greeted with cheery, friendly genuine warmth by all staff. One night we popped into the bar for a quick drink on return from our evening meal and despite it supposedly being open until 1am the bar man said that as we were the only people there (well it was about 10.30pm on a Monday night at the beginning of March) he would like to close at 11pm. Which was fine with us and he said that he would make us any drinks we wanted to take up to our rooms. The full English breakfast was divine, excellent quality and well cooked, not swimming in grease and when I asked for extras they were more than happy to accommodate.

In the room there was a discreet menu from the local adult store with details of some rather classy looking items. I did question whether this was possibly appropriate in what appeared to be a family room but I doubt that it would cause too much consternation but if you are thinking of taking a family trip and you book this room then maybe do a quick sweep and hide any offending items. On the whole it didn't feel seedy at all and there was so much of interest in the hotel and the room. the duvet covers for both beds were twister and there was a bag full of soft toys too. The bed offered one of the most comfortable nights sleep I've ever had and the hotel was lovely and warm so no having to shiver getting out of bed and going to the loo!

Whilst there we went to the Regency Restaurant just on the corner of Regency Square. I have previously been to this restaurant on a recommendation and I am pleased to say it is still an excellent seafood restaurant and amazing value. For my starter I had 6 oysters for a fiver. They were massive and absolutely exquisite - ignore the salty gritty chewy snot analogies - proper oysters are lovely and you don't need to swallow them whole - you should chew to enjoy with a good splash of tabasco sauce. The second night we went to Cafe Rouge, near the Lanes, and considering I used to think this was a good chain restaurant it's gone way downhill. No more do you get free olives and bread and the menu is rather bland to say the least. I would wish I'd gone back to the Regency!

Brighton is a fun, vibrant party town and the hotel Pelirocco fits right in. It is an interesting, quirky hotel and yes it might be a bit frayed around the edges but the service, cleanliness and value more than make up for it. I would recommend going online for last minute deals here and I hope you won't be disappointed. I certainly hope to go back here in the near future.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

Having stayed at the Pelirocco on a couple of occassions we treated ourselves to the Play room for my birthday weekend. This room is something else! Large bedroom (with all the glamour you want) funky seating area with huge TV and enormous bathroom with corresponding enormous bath! Loved it all!
We've been lucky to stay in some of the worlds best hotels and yes, compared to some of them the Pelirroco is a little rough round the edges.....but thats not why you go there...if you dont get this hotels vibe then stick to the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

Having just read a couple of reviews of this hotel I have to wonder whether these people actually stayed in the same place I did??

My new hubby and I stayed at Hotel Pelirocco for 4 days over New Year and had the most amazing time. The welcome when we arrived was both warm and inviting. The weather outside was not even above freezing but the hotel was cosy and relaxing. We booked the 'Play Room' for 4 days and wanted to stay another week!. The room is great very spacious, great fun and can be your own little hide away from the rest of the world.
The bathroom is to die for (the bath could easily fit 6 people in and the rain showers are like dust bin lids), the bed is out of this world and if i thought i could have one made i would. The dancing pole....well, my husband was a very happy man.
The staff are a very cool bunch of people, very helpful and whoever was cooking those breakfasts, they were doing a mighty fine job. The full english is as good as you will get anywhere.
We didnt get a chance to use the Sing Star room but for bigger groups wanting a really good giggle, from watching other guests in the hotel this looks like great fun.
All in all, I had a ball in the Hotel Pelirocco and would love to go back!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

Took my sister here for a birthday weekend! Its such a fun hotel, We both loved it. We arrived early and our room wasn't ready so were offered an upgrade. We were booked into the Pink* room and we were offered Betties Boudoir. We turned down the offer due to Betties Boudoir being on the ground floor. The Pink* Room was perfectly suited a girly Brighton weekend. Price wise not sure the weekend rates really match the hotel but the weekday rates are worth it. Its a little rough around the edges but this all adds to its charm. Bar is small but incredibly cute. and breakfast is fantastic. Looking forward to going back with my boyfriend. Actually cannot wait! I would give it 5 out of 5, though objectivly probably only worth a 4.

Pink* i can't call it what it is actually called, tripadvisor is flagging it as a profanity. See the official website. The room we stayed in is the BIRIGHT pink one.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Pelirocco? Share your experiences!