“Cheap but very run down with non-existent security” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sandpiper Guest House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brighton
Sandpiper Guest House
You added Sandpiper Guest House to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   11 Russell Square, Brighton BN1 2EE, England   |
Ranked #50 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
kent
“Cheap but very run down with non-existent security”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

We came to Brighton for a music festival and left it a little late in finding accomodation. Surprisingly, this B&B had vacancies and at £25 pppn we thought we were onto a winner as we were pretty desperate. We were put into the basement flat which shared a bathroom. This wasn't a problem as the other room in the basement was taken by friends of ours.

Good points: cheap, good location, the housemaid was friendly and always did a good job.

Bad points:
1) the door of the rear bedroom (which leads to the garden and street outside) is totally unsecure. No lock, only a chain keeps it closed which can be opened by putting your hand through the window (which has no lock either) - see photo. Could be broken into incredibly easily in 30 seconds with no damage caused. When i complained to the owner he loosly fitted a very small ineffectual bolt. I got the feeling he either wanted to spend as little money as possible or didn't want the door damaged when broken into. We felt our stuff wasn't at all safe and moved it into our friends rooms. I'm not sure how secure the rest of the B&B is.

2) This is basically a student hovel style flat, small, grubby, old furniture, thin walls, cold.

To summarise, this is a cheap b&b with a good location but probably one of the worst you will ever stay in. The guy who runs it seems friendly but if something doesn't work, don't expect him to care. Don't bring anything you don't mind beiong stolen. Would I stay here again? Not unless I was pretty desperate.

This is probably a good example of where spending just an extra £10 a night for somewhere better would be well worth it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Leicestershire, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

Very reasonably priced. Clean and comfortable. Quiet. In the centre so all sites and amenities within walking distance. Helpful friendly welcoming reception. Tea/coffee facilities. Room tidied daily. TV. Cheaper parking 2 miles away at Hove Train Station - fine if you don't need to use the car.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
portsmouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

I would recommend to a friend on the understanding this is a very basic room, very clean but could do with a lick of paint and a tidy up. We were struggling to find somewhere to stay within our budget and for 1 night only, this was £25 PPPN for 1 night stay. The location was brilliant 10 second walk to city centre, car parking was again 10 seconds walk to the B&B, was £25 for 24 hours however the owner did know somewhere for £12 just up the road.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2008

After an overnight flight from Canada, I knocked on the door of this hotel and was offered accommodation for only one night. Apparently this hotel is quite popular, as it was sold out for the following 3 days.

My room was basic, but clean and well kept. The shower and toilet facilities on the landing were also in good order. Breakfast was not available.

After settling in, I immediately began to search for a similar hotel for the following nights. Without much trouble, I found something in Regency Square (Keehan's Hotel) for a lower price.

All in all, I found this hotel to be quite satisfactory. At 35 pounds per night, it may be a little pricey, as the other lodging I found in Brighton cost only 25 pounds.

• Liked — location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scunthorpe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

Ok so as previous reviews state the location is excellent, you are next to evrything you could possibly want. the hotel is very basic and the furniture is probably older than my grandad!!! we went with friends who ended up have bigger rooms than ours, our room was unsuitable for a double, i would maybe even go as far to say it is unsuiatble for a bed fullstop! however we had a great weekend and we so close to everything it made up for it, all in all i think we would probably stay there again, we aint classy birds !!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — our room was even to small to accomadate the borrowers
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
herts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

Sandpiper guest house is a great location! The room we had came with a double and a single bed, sink, which was very handy and some storage. We faced on to the sea which was lovely. The room was clean and the beds were fresh. the communal shower room/toilet is nice and clean. We did not eat there but the owner is very accomodating and friendly. I think that the guest house is very good value for money, if all you want/need is a bed for the night I would recommend! I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2007

I've stayed at this hotel a few times 'cos too be fair it's cheap & I was on a budget...however even at £25 a night I felt like it wasn't good value. The hotel does however have a good central location and I would say is more suited to students or people on a tight budget seeking a cheap weekend in brighton rather than families.
Upon arriving at this hotel I thought there was blood over the pavement outside which gave me a terrible first impression...I was later informed in broken English by the owner that this was in fact sweet & sour sauce!
The owner seems friendly enough when it comes to making a payment for your stay, however, when it comes to assisting with simple requests such as providing hot water he seems a little less welcoming.
I've stayed in 3 of the 8 rooms the hotel has to offer including the presidential suite which contrast to its rather grand name overlooks the car park. The room could have been more inviting as the pillows smelt of bacon. Also the towel which I was given was so rough that I wouldn't have even used it to clean my car with.
This hotel is for people on a budget only & could really do with some investment by the owner. I'd only recommend it too people after a cheap weekend break in brighton.

• Liked — Price, tho would call it value for money based upon stanards
  • Disliked — Room
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid unless on a very tight budget
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sandpiper Guest House? Share your experiences!