“Amazing hotel-Amazing food-” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
brighton/broadstairs
“Amazing hotel-Amazing food-”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

I recently stayed at this hotel for two nights with my partner for my birthday - it was a surprise for myself. Upon arrival we were greeted by the reception team and shown to our bedroom (we had the sea facing feature room-104 i think) my boyfriend had arranged for some rose petals to be scattered around the bath and on the Super King size bed (they told us it was the biggest bed in Brighton) which was so romantic. the view from the room was fantastic, we could see the pier which was lovely at night, especially as we lay in the free standing bath, placed in front of the window sipping on champagne. We enjoyed cocktails in the bar in the evening and the barman was very helpful, helping me choose a cocktail as I am very fussy usually. The staff were very helpful and reccomended places to visit in the area and restaurants to dine at- along with a little map with directions.... Overall Fabulous and will be back if im lucky enough.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Surrey, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

Returned today from a 2 night stay with my husband in a Seafacing Attic Room. Staff were absolutely excellent, communal areas were chic and well looked after. Our room was compact and there wasn't a huge amount of storage, but for a 2 night break it was perfect. The bath in the bedroom was great and the view is literally out on to the pier - as is the view from laying down in bed - fab. I would say the only downside was the wet room...very small but again, as we were only there for 2 nights it really wasn't necessary for us to have any more space! Ooo, and I would also just say that the wet room is where the toilet is...and it only has opaque glass doors with a slight gap ...possibly you'd want to feel pretty comfortable with your room mate!!

I would definitely return to this hotel...would choose the same room again if a mini-break, a larger one for a longer break!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

I stayed here on business for 3 nights and was very impressed. I had a yin yang sea view room which was supposed to be for one person, but could definitely accommodate 2. The room was small, but perfectly formed. At £100 a night, it was one of the better value rooms. The room was well laid out with a dressing table and desk as well as flat screen tv, dvd player and en suit luxury bathroom with a heated floor. The room also had air conditioning. The staff were extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble, from photocopying documents and sending faxes to providing change for the on street parking (cheaper than the hotel). The slippers and dressing gown were a lovely luxury. We ate here one night and the food was excellent. The only downsides were the lack of lift (although there was one for my luggage) and the fact the tea and coffee making facilities were tidied into a cupboard, so it was a pain to get them out to make a quick drink. I would recommend getting a room on the third floor if you can manage it, as the traffic noise is less. I would love to return for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Guildford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

Absolutely fantasic.
We arrived on Monday 1st June for two nights, and were greeted by friendly and helpful staff. We stayed in the attic room- amazing views, very clean. It made the climb to the top of the hotel more than worth it.
The views from the balcony were completely unspoiled, it made paying that extra bit worth it.
The full english breakfast was amazing - if you stay here you have to try it! Good luck trying to eat it all though! The bar staff were great too- really knew their stuff and had a range of cocktails- i reccomend the Bellinis. Mmmm!
Overall, 10/10 it was briliant. Thank-you to all at Drakes for an amazing two days.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

We stayed at Drakes for our anniversary, and everything was perfect. They even relaxed the '2 nights at weekends' rule for us as we only needed one night, although we had to book late in order to get this which is fair enough. Staff could not have been more charming or helpful, and were able to accommodate my wheat allergy with wheat-free toast on the breakfast tray (amazing breakfast, the scrambled eggs with salmon were perfect). We loved the bath in the bedroom, and the clever use of space made a 'bijou double' feel more than big enough. Very comfortable bed with lots of pillows, great position right near the Pier. Not the cheapest hotel in Brighton but well worth it. Apparently the restaurant is very good, but we had already booked at Terre a Terre (also excellent).

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

My husband and I went here for our 1st wedding anniversary for a little bit of luxury, and had a fab time.
The service at the hotel was faultless, the receptionist was friendly and so so helpful, she recommended a fab thai gastro put that we went to. At night time the bar staff were lovely and very helpful again. The bar could do with a wider range of cocktails, although the ones we had were fab.
The location of the hotel was wonderful, we were right on the seafront and about a 5 minute walk from the lanes, and all the hustle and bustle of brighton - perfect.
We stayed in the bijou room which was lovely, if a little small. We did mange to have a massage in our room (organised by the hotel - wonderful!), one of us had to lie on a massage bed and one on the actual bed as there wasn't room for 2 of the massage beds to give you an idea of the room size.
The room was very boutiquee. There were a few things that could have made it perfect though:
I thought the egyptian cotton sheets could have been crispier and ironed. When I stayed at hotel du vin, the sheets were like new.
The dressing gowns were a bit tatty, a shame really as these small simple things could have made it faultless.
The wet room was great, although 2 tiles had come up from the floor and the sink wasn't spotlessly clean.
The carpet pile was coming up, and the bath also wasn't spotlessly clean.
For me these little things, small attention to detail didn't by any means ruin the stay, and didn't really make a difference to us, but I have stayed in some lovely hotels and couldn't help compare. There is a free standing bath in the room which was deep and lovely... I want one.
The view out of the window was awful as we were city facing, it was loads of flats with lots of pigeon poo, but luckily the windows had frosting and blinds, so only saw this when we opened the window.
I was also a little disapointed that our stay didn't include breakfast.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again, but I think I would go for a sea-view room next time. It was a lovely stay and really glad we discovered this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

Don't book attic rooms - 4th floor and no lift! Trying to create boutique style with wetroom and bath in bedroom but room size is not adequate to achieve this. Excellent food in restaurant but don't book a table near the toilets! The staff who are young friendly and very helpful go a little way to justifying the relatively high room rates.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Drakes Hotel Brighton? Share your experiences!