“Relaxing Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
Newport, United Kingdom
“Relaxing Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

we stayed over on a Monday night as we had a wedding that day, the receptionist was very helpful and allowed us to check inn early as we arrived at 7am due to travelling from wales and the wedding was at midday.
Each staff we met was very nice and helpful, room was clean and very large.

Breakfast was amazing and very enjoyable.

only bad point I found was the night r/s menu was just sandwiches, I just wanted cheese platter but wasn't allowed. but it wasn't really a bad point just my preference wanting cheese platter.

overall stay was nice and would stay in this hotel again if we came back to Brighton.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Hi,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Brighton-Seafront.

I have shared your great comments regarding the staff friendliness, as the hotel prides itself on friendly and efficient customer service.

Once again thank you for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Kind regards,

Wayne Mansfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Rochester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Booked a 1 night Saturday stay in advance of the Brighton marathon. Got a room on the Executive floor for £180 for the night (incl breakfast) - not too sure what made it qualify as that. I have to say that I was underwhelmed by the room for the expensive price - worn appearance and the inter-room sound insulation was almost non-existent! People could be heard quietly talking through the walls - hardly a quality of room that would justify such a price!

The under hotel car park was and additional £18 for the night in a crowded and very compact area. I would have been better paying £20 to park 100m away in a newly-built spacious underground NCP area.

The breakfast was the only saving grace. The checkout guy thanked me for my stay and hoped to see me again - I have to say at the price charged that is going to be most unlikely.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear DavidUK_12,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow us to apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and our parking area was less than satisfactory. We want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Firstly the good point: the location on the Brighton seafront is great. Its a 10 minute walk to the lanes etc so is nigh on perfect.
Everything else about the hotel is decidedly average. Wondering why there's no photos of the exterior on their website? That's because its a hideously ugly concrete monstrosity! The decor inside is standard HI stuff, but something about this HI is just very tired. It really needs a good refurbishment to bring it up to standard.
Beware also that parking is very expensive at £18 a night, and that you need to get a token at reception before you park.
I cant comment on the bars and restaurants as we didnt venture in - why anyone would set foot in there when there are so many great places to eat and drink in Brighton is a total mystery tome!

Stayed April 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear BillericayHammer,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your experience. I am pleased to note that you found our hotel to be conveniently located.

However, I am sorry to hear the troubles you had during your visit. I sincerely apologize for you did not find some aspects of our hotel to your liking. We deeply regret the negative experience and impressions you had about our hotel.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Dhan M
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

I had booked a side sea view room (like 411). But when I arrived I noticed the hotel appeared quiet, so asked if it would be possible to upgrade my room. The receptionist said Yes, and gave me a free upgrade. When I arrived in the room (409) I noticed that the balcony door was unlocked. I tried to lock it, but I couldn't as the lock appeared broken. I asked to move rooms as this was not secure. In the new room (410) I couldn't open the balcony door at all! So I asked if Maintenance could fix it. The Maintenance man tried hard but in spite of a great deal of WD40 he couldn't fix it. I decided to stay in the room however as I could open the window and it was a very pleasant room with a big bathroom and a proper shower. On my 2nd day I returned to the hotel and tried to get into my room but the key wouldn't work. I returned to reception to ask them to reset it but they said they'd tried to get in touch with me - said they didn't have my phone number I think, although I knew they did. They had had to move my belongings because of a leak down the corridor they said. A day later after they'd moved me to 411, I noticed there was an Audio Demo/Fair on in the hotel. The room they'd said they were worried might be affected by water was now being used as a Demo Room. I know because there was a sign outside the room and there was music coming from inside. I'd also left an iPhone charger in a cupboard under the TV and asked for this back too. The young man who was looking for the charger let me into the room and it had been completely transformed, even the bed had gone. I would have respected the hotel if they'd told me the truth, but having lied to me means I will not be returning to this hotel again. Also the wifi was terrible for me: no wonder it's free. They couldn't possibly charge for that kind of service.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear JimmyGab,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We have sent you a private message addressing your concerns. I trust we can regain your confidence in our products and services.

Dhan M
Derby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Needed a room in Brighton for one night, as usual, so booked online through our forms hotel agent, expecting the usual Holiday Inn experience, I thought as have used them all over UK before with an issues. How wrong you can be....

Upon arrival headed for the car park, but you must book in first and obtain a token from the reception desk and a flyer to place in the windscreen and agree to the £15 parking fee, this can be a pain as the main road at the front is always very busy and the hotel only has 2 bays for pop in, so you have to take a risk on yellow line whilst they sort this out. Not a great start.

Then armed with my confirmation headed to reception after parking in a compact underground car park, with very narrow spaces, something to note if you have a larger vehicle.

Greet by a large open reception area and a large desk with two Holiday Inn staff on duty, confirmed room was booked and then only to be advised we need to pay up front? after a 10-15 minute discussion over what constitutes a booking/reservation/order I emailed the hotel agent booked/order form further 10minutes went by then they confirmed we could stay and the cost would be met by the hotel agent. It is strange I have never had this before from Holiday Inn (HI), but I was not impressed by the lack of customer service by the staff. after some 30minutes feeling a little embarrassed by the HI staff, retreated to my room.

It was on the East side of the hotel, a twin room, over looking a side street and the adjacent properties roofs. I did note as I walked down the dreary corridor a loud humming coming from the plant 'private' room adjacent to my room. The room was pleasant, twin beds, large Samsung freeview TV that worked well. Bathroom was compact but functional and the suite looked clean. The sink in the bathroom had a crack in it, this was only noticed when I caught my finger on the sharp edge, one can only guess what bugs lurk in there, so this need replacing.

Beds were very firm, from a personal choice not my thing, but many may prefer this, but the biggest issue was the humming from the room next door, it was loud! it appeared to come on for about 30mins then switch off for a while then come back on again. TV on very loud began to drown this out. So had to put up with this, after an hour or so decided for dinner, headed down to the restaurant, decided to give this a wide berth, staff weren't very helpful here too so headed into town, lots of great little places only 5-10 mins walk away! suggest you do the same and a lot cheaper too.

During the night woken by the noisy plant room, then at 0522hrs a large group of returning drunk guests, so what little sleep I did get was broken. after 20mins the shouting and door slamming eased began to drop off again, then its delivery time for the hotel, right below my window. 0610hrs one large HGV after another, revving engines, rattling cages, banging, shouting, you get the idea.

I finally gave in and got up headed for a shower only to find it leaked from the connector so got limited version. Then headed down to breakfast, hoping that at least I can have a bite then get out of this hell hole. Nope, the HI incompetent staff had one more surprise, reception had not included breakfast, although its on the order confirmation! so after another embarrassing 10mins explanation was told to go back to reception and pay. I declined their kind offer and headed back to the room, packed up and tried to check out.

Check out isn't quick, politely explained my tail of woe to the reception staff 'Nigel' who didn't care one iota, just wanted a signature, gladly offered so that I could get out. Done.

Pleased to say, reported to Hotel Agency who have removed the HI from its corporate list to prevent colleagues from booking here.

Holiday Inn ? speak your colleagues in Woking, they have customer service cracked, they would feel embarrassed if they came to your hotel sharing the same name.

Summary ;-

Good - Location, Clean room, simple basic such as TV, soap, Tea/Coffee.

Bad :- Poor customer service, hotel in need of restoration, not great for the HI image. noisy,

Would I return here on Business or personal - Never!. Many great other Hotel chains in area

Room Tip: Avoid 107 & 108 !! next to plant room, makes a loud humming noise throughout... woke me up a few...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Tim B,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very sorry to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance

Connie D
East Anglia not found.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Staff were friendly, location good, however, decor run down, reception area cold & vast, bathroom sink had a huge repaired crack in it! Burnt hand on kettle that didn't turn off, requested change twice to no avail. No bin in room, asked 3 times before replaced. Wouldn't recommend.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Pud60,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments online. I am sincerely sorry that this stay was not 100% satisfactory. We have sent you a private message to discuss.

Pam G
Devon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

I needed a hotel for a business trip and thought the Holiday Inn on the seafront looked a good option. Although the room I had was spacious and superficially looked OK, it was actually quite shabby and the lamps wouldn't work at first. The worst bit was the couple in the room next to mine. They were obviously smoking and the smell seemed to get into the air conditioning and into my room. They were very loud and I could hear everything through the wall, particularly when they came home in the early hours after a night out. Dinner in the restaurant was a strange event. I ordered a curry, which came in a tiny bowl accompanied by rice, a poppadum, chapati and new potatoes. Breakfast on the other hand was nice.

Room Tip: Avoid room 503
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Dear DevonKitty,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments online. It is unfortunate that this stay was not completely satisfactory due to the condition of the room and sound proofing being sub par. I have taken note of the points you have raised as these are essential for us to consider for improvements needed on our end.

Again, we thank you for your time in writing us a review and our apologies for the shortcomings.

Pam G
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront? Share your experiences!