“Great Coffee!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Columbus, Ohio
“Great Coffee!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I know, I know. Coffee is probably not the first thing on most people's minds when they come upon this marvelous little place, but I'm American and we love our coffee. It's not easy to find a decent cup of coffee in England (surprise surprise, eh?) but their filter coffee with cream was delightfully strong and delicious.

My boyfriend and I had just arrived in Brighton off the coach from London and were in need of a bit of lunch, so we stopped in. We were both quite pleased with our choices (his was the Welsh rarebit and mine was the fish and chips, followed by a slice of chocolate fudge cake) - enough so that the following day, we snagged a couple sandwiches and cups of coffee to take with us on the return coach to London.

I'll agree that the place was a bit cramped, but that's really only because it's so popular that it's always filled with people. Their tea offerings (cakes, biscuits, scones, brownies, you name it!) were presented on a table with tall legs - which was perfect as it allowed room under the table for us to stash our suitcases so they wouldn't be in the way!

The service was fast and friendly. They were able to answer some questions for us about the local public transportation routes. As a whole, we were both very pleased with the place and certainly would return again.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

69% Recommend
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

We have been looking forward to our visit to Brighton and to this tea shop, our friends rave about the place and we had walked past on previous trips and commented on how good it looked... But we were wrong.

The scones were huge but tasteless, badly baked and dry. It's really cramped inside and last of all when we tried to pay (with Scottish notes which are legal tender and in pounds sterling) it was refused!

Really disappointed and won't be returning

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bertrange, Luxembourg
“Very average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I came here with my dad and my brother, the food was bland and tasteless, they advertise freshly squeezed orange juice which ended up coming out of a carton. The ketchup is very vinagree, and the sausages I had were tasteless. Spend your money on something else! I do not recommend it, the only nice thing I have to say is that the interior is very cosy and nice.

Visited March 2013
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“real tea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The best peppermint tea served with a pot of honey - no tea bags here. There should be a Mock Turtle in every town and City.

Visited March 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Meringues to die for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The Mock Turtle is a cosy tea room tucked away just around the corner from Pool Valley. They do delicious light lunches and the most amazing selection of homemade cakes. Tea is served in china teapots, with tea strainer (no teabags here). But my favourite has to be their freshly made meringues - as big as saucers, sticky in the middle and crispy on the outside and filled with a mountain of fresh cream (which is prepared while you wait). The coffee meringues are out of this world!

Visited August 2012