“Ok stay, say they are dog friendly...we think not!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Paskins Town House

Save Saved
You added Paskins Town House to your Saves list
Paskins Town House
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   18/19 Charlotte Street, Brighton BN2 1AG, England   |
Special Rate
Call Direct 4 Best Rates
Ranked #23 of 96 Brighton B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“Ok stay, say they are dog friendly...we think not!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a long weekend at Paskins and to be honest we were slightly disappointed. They state they are a dog friendly hotel but seemed a bit put out to accommodate my partner and I and our small dog at breakfast...they accept dogs but that's it.

At breakfast, we asked to specifically sit away from others in case they did not like the presence of our pet at breakfast but were told to sit with other diners....the waitress then proceeded to make snide comments about our pet to others in the dining room which I thought was absurd. The rooms are comfortable but the bathrooms are disappointingly small. The breakfast is slightly substandard, the vegan breakfast was inedible but the teas and selection of juices ok. I would recommend dog owners to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2013
paskins_management, Owner at Paskins Town House, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
We still remember this couple although they came at the start of a busy summer. We guess most of the guests at Paskins that weekend will remember them too. It was a well behaved small dog at breakfast but the owners caused a commotion as they insisted on a large bowl of water for the dog and then overturned it on the new wooden floor. Our memory is of our other guests, not us, complaining about the fuss caused by their disruption.
Melanie B reviews by saying that if we say we accept dogs that’s it; and concludes dog owners should go elsewhere. With lots of guests each day, some of whom may be allergic to dogs, we have to find a way to respect everybody’s needs.
As their stay was a while ago we do not recollect which of the Vegan breakfasts they chose although we do recall they did not mention the breakfast being inedible at the time.
Everybody is welcome at PaskinsBrighton; dogs are welcome too with well behaved owners.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were really pleased with our choice, in so many ways. It was in a great location within easy reach of the centre and seconds from the beach front. Quiet road, not on the main stretch which we know can be noisy. The place is wall to wall Art Deco and we loved it. (Room 15, if you want a tip, but I would imagine all other rooms are as good.)
The other differentiator that blew us away was the veggie breakfast. Absolutely fantastic. The veggie sausages are homemade on the premises, and they were extraordinary. A homemade chutney sat atop an excellent fritter, with egg, toms, mushrooms, toast.... We loved it. Staff were great and helpful with some personal recommendations for restaurants, including La Capannina, which we highly recommend. We'll be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
paskins_management, Manager at Paskins Town House, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thanks, Rob_S_K, we're glad you enjoyed your stay. As you say, we are in a great location, a quiet street but still very central. It's good also to hear you appreciate our home-made veggie breakfasts. We have been making our own veggie sausages and fritters for 18 years now, having inherited the recipe from the previous owners of the hotel. We hope to see you again soon at PaskinsBrighton but do remember to contact us directly (phone or email) for our very best deals.
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed at Paskins last week having not done so for several years (not your fault, just not in Brighton so often these days!)

We still love it, from the quirky room decor to the excellent food and warn welcome. We'll just have to come back more often.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review, Mary R. Nice to see old friends return. Hope to see you again soon.
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We picked this B&B because they do vegan breakfasts and my husband is vegan and very lactose intolerant. We had breakfast on the first morning and a little while afterwards my husband knew he had ingested some lactose. We had to attend a friend's wedding the next day and my husband was in a lot of discomfort the whole day due to the chef contaminating the food. Our stay here ruined our weekend.

We would not recommend it if you are at all lactose intolerant as they do not seem to understand this concept. In fact if you are vegan I would avoid it as your breakfast may get contaminated with some dairy! Needless to say we avoided breakfast the following day.

The actual B&B was ok, the staff were very friendly, the rooms were adequate, although I would suggest getting a room at the front as the back of the hotel was extremely noisy when we stayed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
paskins_management, Manager at Paskins Town House, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
We feel very saddened that we were not given the opportunity to deal with this customers issues directly. Nothing was said on the second day of their stay and nothing was mentioned on check out. The first we hear is when our good reputation is called into question on this very public forum. We have catered for vegetarians and vegans, as well as guests with varying dietary requirements, for many years without these kind of problems. All preparation and cooking is carried out under the strictest of conditions which could have been easily demonstrated should the guest have chosen to speak with us as opposed to leaving this alarmist review. I would invite the guest to please get in touch in or order for us to discuss the issue.

David Jones. Manager.
Melton Mowbray, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and were not disappointed, the vegetarian and vegan breakfast was fab, rooms spotlessly clean and had everything you needed, although a shaver socket would have been handy for recharging the toothbrush.

Nice touch of bottled water and fruit in room.

The TV didn't want to work but this didn't cause a problem as we really didn't have time to watch it, you don't go to Brighton to watch TV when there is so much more to do and see.

Would highly recommend Paskins and we will go back again next year.

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Taken in by knowing the location, having been a Brighton resident for over 12 years, I knew that Charlotte Street is perfectly placed on the cusp of the Easterly Kemptown Village and indeed is one of the connecting quiet roads between Marine Parade and St George's Road, thus: the location could not be better.

That aside, I was also struck by the sheer brilliance of the interiors of the hotel as depicted on *insert any site here* and the obvious and abundant attention to detail and care that the owners and staff have for their hotel.

Upon arrival, the exterior itself is charming and you are guided into a quaint Reception (with the ability to drop bags if rooms aren't ready or you need to Check Out, but are still in Brighton for a while...) and I was greeted by an equally charming man and received a brief tour of the ground floor, with instructions for the front door et cetera. Perfect - in, warm hello, quick instructions and then - I was in my room, the door clunked shut and I was alone in my cool and thoroughly lovely standards. There was even a bottle of wine sitting on the bay window dresser - but perhaps that was because this was the eve of my wedding and not usual practice!

That night, I was alone, the following morning, descending to breakfast I was gobsmacked. I could spend the next age writing about just how lovely the breakfast was, but I won't - let me just say this: never before in 20 years have I had a breakfast of such quality in a hotel, irrespective of its size. Delicious. Fresh. The wild mushrooms especially and the scrambled eggs - oh my - you must try them! I ascended to my room for a piping hot and well-pressured shower extremely happy. Then I got married! I'll leave the second night to your imagination!

Trust me - Paskins is worth it.

Room Tip: Speak with Roger or David and explain your situation and they will do their very best to accommodate...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
paskins_management, Manager at Paskins Town House, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thanks, Al, for your kind words. We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you 'got to the church (town hall) on time!' Congratulations, again, to you and your good lady wife and we hope to see you both again soon.
Stanford-Le-Hope, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My third visit to this delightful Hotel and I wasn't disappointed. The rooms are tastefully decorated, complete with everything needed - and all spotlessly clean. Rooms are serviced every day and there were frequent changes of linen/towels. A rather nice touch is the daily provision of a bottle of water and a shiny apple.

The breakfast menu is comprehensive, beautifully cooked, well presented, and served by friendly staff. Nothing is too much trouble and any variation or concoction catered for. I was fortunate to stay for ten nights and the high standards were maintained throughout.

I was lucky to be staying during the Pride weekend but although Paskins is in Kemp town, it is slightly away from the main partying/pubs area down a much quieter road so consequently I wasn't at all disturbed by noise of any sort.

My whole time in Brighton was blessed by hot sunshine - a somewhat rare occasion in the UK - which gave plenty of beach time and I took full advantage of that, so all in all another most enjoyable holiday at Paskins.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Paskins Town House? Share your experiences!