“They did their best..” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
Northamptonshire
“They did their best..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My wife is disabled and we need space under the bed to accommodate the wheels of a hoist. Hotels have their own way of dealing with this, Bed Frame with space, "Elephant Feet Raisers" or as in this case, have their maintenance man nail some wood to the bed legs :D Well done for initiative that man.

Warning One: If you are backing out of the lift pulling a wheelchair, please not flight of stairs DIRECTLY behind you.

Room very small for our needs and not quite enough room for our kit and the wheelchair.

One of the noisiest hotels I've ever stayed in, this is mainly down to inconsiderate cackling hens returning form their fun night out at 2am. Hotels can't be held responsible for their inconsiderate guests I suppose.

A very old building with all the inherent problems of fitting a modern hotel inside. Looks jaded and needs a refurbishment.

Room service was prompt and both out early evening light meal and breakfast were on time and hot.

Car parking restricted at the front and there is a small car park at the rear. both on a first come basis.

Warning Two :Some of the roof clearance and bays are quite small so if you have a larger vehicle, beware.

Not bad value fro Brighton. Adequate for our stay, but doubt we'll be back and not really suitable for our needs.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Steve A
Thank you for taking the time to post your valued review of your recent stay at the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel.
We do ‘try our best’ to make all of our guest’s stay comfortable and I was pleased that we were able to demonstrate some ingenuity in adapting the bed in your room to suit your needs.
I think you are quite right that it is difficult in an ‘older’ building to easily make adaptations and I hope by the fact that we have a number of facilities including platform lifts shows that we have made efforts to allow for access around the building as far as possible.
We do have an ongoing programme to enhance the hotel and are just making finishing touches to our main restaurant area and will continue around the rest of the Hotel over the coming months.
Thank you for the tips on the car park – the rear does have a height restriction and for guest convenience we do try to accommodate as many vehicles as possible.
Thank you once again for your valued feedback and if there is anything else we can do to improve to make the Hotel more suitable for your individual needs please do let us know.
Matthew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Peterborough
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We walked from the train station to the hotel and it took us about 25 mins. Lovely position overlooking the sea. Left our bags with reception (after a considerable wait) and went shopping - it took us about 15-20mins to get to the Lanes. On our return to the hotel we were shocked to find our luggage had been left all day behind the receptionist - thought they would have a left luggage cupboard at least!

The room was clean, the bed very comfortable and despite the fact there was a wedding reception and a lot of hens staying it was relatively quiet.The breakfast was good but could have been warmer.

This is a good base to see the sights of Brighton but you may find it a bit pricey especially at weekends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Wannaanotherholiday
Thank you for your valued review after your recent stay with us at the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel.
We are an energetic stroll from the station (weather permitting) and I was pleased that you liked the position of the Hotel.
We do have limited luggage storage facilities at the Hotel and I assure you that the Reception desk is manned 24hrs so your bags were safe in our hands.
Thank you for your comments about the room allocated to you and I was also pleased to note that you managed to have a relaxing stay in when the Hotel was busy with a Wedding and groups etc.
Finally, thank you once again for the time to post your review and we hope that we might see you again sometime in the future.
Kindest regards
Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on 30/06/12 and booked through a 3rd party website. The hotel is a little further away from things then we initially thought it was-a good 20/25 minute walk from the pier. The hotel entrance hall is quite charming, oddly though when you get into the lift and go to your room this atmosphere goes, and the corridors give you the feeling of a tired run down 3 star conference venue. The room was adequate with a comfy bed, however the bathroom is again 'out of keeping' with the room. It was very modern in terms of the bedroom, long and narrow with a small shower cubicle stuffed at the end next to the toilet. I'd imagine someone who's quite broad would struggle to actually get in the shower passed the toilet-it's that cramped.
This hotel was the cheapest we could find that didn't seem too bad on reviews £189pn) however I wouldn't stay again and I'd pay the addition for a better hotel nearer the main attractions with a consistent feel to it.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear davidd2000
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel.
I was sorry to learn that your stay did not fully meet your expectations and that we were not able to do more for you while you were still with us.
As you may appreciate a due to the age and layout of the hotel our bedroom and bathroom configurations do vary from room to room which is a result of the addition of en suite facilities over past years. I acknowledge that some of the layouts may not suit every individual and we do try to offer alternatives wherever possible.
We do have an ongoing plan to improve areas of the Hotel, having recently carried out works to the Restaurant, and we made an undertaking to ensure that at least the beds in each of our rooms are replaced to ensure the best possible night’s sleep.
If you do need to return to Brighton please feel free to contact us directly so we can make arrangements for a most comfortable stay.
Thank you once again.
Tel Aviv, Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Terrible service, the worse I got. When I arrived to the hotel I was told by the manager the hotel is overbooked and there is no room for me, even though I booked a room three months in advance (they didn't deny that fact). After half an hour of fighting, during which I was directly blamed by the manager for only giving my agent's details while making the reservation and not my own, I got a room which was too tiny to move inside. No apologize or compensation was made.
I asked for a wake up call and they forgot.
My colleagues stayed at cheeper hotels and their rooms were much nicer, DON'T STAY HERE.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear 12346788Traveller

I am fully aware of the situation you have referred to in your comments and I both regret and am sorry that I was not able to meet with you before you left the hotel.

I have reviewed the reservation details and confirm that a Single room was originally booked via a 3rd party which was the room type allocated to you.

Whilst an overbooking situation is relatively unusual for us we do aim to make all arrangements in advance for our customers. I understand that my Front Office Manager personally accompanied you to the alternative hotel along with your luggage and showed the Sea View bedroom which had been reserved for you, however this was declined and you chose to accept an alternative smaller room at the Hotel.

I am sincerely sorry for the frustrations you experienced and offer you my personal assurances that we do try to go out of our way to make the best of these infrequent situations.

If you would like to discuss any other aspect of your stay at the Hotel I would be pleased to speak with you personally to extend my apologies once again.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Great location right on the sea front. Good quality rooms. Staff very nice.
Excellent breakfast. Lots of choice.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay at the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel.
It appears from your short statements that we got everything right for you when you stayed and we do hope you will come back and see us again sometime soon.
Hertford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Having booked months in advance to ensure rooms via Accor membership I find that this Hotel is not Value for money. The staff were helpful and pleasant enough.
The room was not worth £169 of my money and flexibility was not a byword when asking for a basic sandwich early in the morning.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Villian56
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Hotel.
As expressed in the email I sent you personally I was sorry that we were not able to meet your request for a bacon sandwich early in the morning and that an alternative from our 24 hour menu was not offered as an alternative.
As you may be aware due to popularity of the City for weekend breaks, staying on a Saturday for one night is more expensive than during the week and our rates are competitive within our market place.
I was therefore sorry that you feel that your stay wasn’t value for money; however I was pleased to note your comments regarding the ‘helpful & pleasant’ staff you encountered.
If you are planning to come back to Brighton please do think of us and I would be happy to personally deal with any requirements that you may have.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Good hotel in an excellent location. Just opposite the old pier and very handy for the main sights of Brighton.

The room was clean and comfortable with a nice bathroom. There was also a good selection of teas, coffees and biscuits. The staff were very helpful when checking in and out.

The main downside was that the parking was £15 per night and in quite a tightly packed car park area to the rear of the hotel. I would definitely advise not taking a car if you can,.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear nuttyduck
Thank you for valued review following your stay at the Mercure Brighton Seafront.
Thank you for your kind words about the service received and I was pleased to read you were happy with your room.
Our parking prices are very competitive when compared to other hotels and public facilities and our spaces are limited here. We’re not too far from the railway station so it’s worth considering using the train to avoid the congestion and do your bit towards carbon reductions!
Thank you once again.
Best regards
Matthew

Been to Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel? Share your experiences!