“Nice enough” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
Rockhampton, Australia
“Nice enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I stayed here for 1 night whilst traveling in the UK. I was offered an upgrade which I think I am glad I took. I appreciated having a big bed and plenty of space in the room. The building itself is quite old, with squeaky floors, windows that barely open and no fans, so it was incredibly hot. When booking I had requested parking, but on arrival when I mentioned parking, the girl behind the counter appeared very annoyed with me and seemed reluctant to give me the last available space. Parking is very tight! I had a small car (ford focus) and it only just squeezed in. The best thing about this hotel is it's location. Right across the road from the beach. I spent my day outside happily.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thanks for your constructive review. The windows are restricted which is a health and safety requirement however fans are available from reception as detailed in our room directory. The location is great however the location prevents us having car parking. We rent some space from the adjacent apartments which is on a first come first serve basis as we only have 12 spaces.

I do hope you will return again in the future.

Iain Lindsay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed here overnight while in the area on business. It's ok. There's a bar with drinks. It's clean and very, very cheap. The rooms are just functional as a place to sleep but it's not luxurious, but then it's remarkably low cost! No complaints really just don't have high expectations if the place. Consider parking too as I was lucky (probably) to find a street Soave straight away.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
I was please to read you review as a business guest. Parking is difficult all over the city and with our location on the seafront we do not have and adjacent land. We rent some space from the apartments next door however this is only 12 spaces and on a first come first serve basis. The hotel is a three star metro hotel which indicates we are not in the luxury market.

I hope the next time you are in town you will stay again.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed for two nights over May Bank Holiday weekend. We paid for sea view rooms, and although expensive it was a birthday treat and we really enjoyed the sea view!

Not sure what everyone is complaining about as we had a lovely time!

We arrived very late and luckily there was one space left in the car park. It's expensive and adds to the bill, so I would recommend getting the train as cab fares are very reasonable. We investigated other car parks but the hotel was the cheapest place to park.

The hotel is in a perfect location if you want to be near central Brighton but not too close to the nightlife if you want to sleep at night! It was a 15-20min walk to the pier and The Lanes and shops.
We were on the 4th floor but there was still traffic noise that woke me up 7.30am but the sea view was worth missing the lay-in!

The room was massive, with tea and coffee facilities, adequate sized bathroom, although the show was rubbish and definately needs modernising. A mini-fridge would have been useful. The bed was lovely - size and comfort, as were the pillows & duvet.

The lift is slow and only accomodates 3 people, so you need to be patient unless you're taking the stairs.

Breakfast was amazing and very quick service. Don't order scrambled eggs as they're powdered. Everything else tasted amazing - even if it wasn't freshly made - and was quick so we could get out and explore Brighton. Help yourself to cereal and toast is great - if there was any room left after your cooked breakfast.

Staff were friendly and helpful enough to us throughout & even accomodated my fussy food choices at breakfast, so thank you!

The only annoyance was the creaky floor boards above us - every morning and every night it was loud creaking....oh & perhaps the TV should be on the side board - not directly blocking the main window of our seaview room!

The only reason I wouldn't come again is because it is very expensive for our budget, and now we have to save for a wedding as we got engaged on the beach in the sun!

Room Tip: From other reviews here, it's definately worth paying the extra for sea view room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for your review and I was pleased to read you had a perfect stay at the hotel and found the facilities and staff to your liking. Unfortunately parking is limited in the city and the 12 spaces we have are rented from the adjacent apartments. The location is great however does prevent us from having our own car park.

I look forward to your returning in the future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

We arrived at the hotel to be greeted by a long queue and foreign lady. After 3 hours of travling I wanted to rest and relax. My husband went to park the car (not on their car park as it was full!) and I was made to wait in the drafty lobby until he returned to pay, upfront, for the room. When we finally got to our room it was tiny, cold and I didn't trust it was that clean either. As we slept in the night we were awoken by obnoxiously loud people next door, crashing, banging and screaming. Nothing was done about this noise so we just had to suffer it until they stopped. On top of everything else our room was ridiculously expensive and didn't even include breakfast! I will never come here again and advise others not to. AK

• Stayed May 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

This hotel was my first stay all the way from Los Angeles, CA. Me and a good friend shared a double room. It was off season but still had a wonderful time and stay. Rooms were clean, bedding, bathrooms, and overall room was perfect. I'm not a nit pick about most things but I will say, the beds were a bit small. I'm 5'1 so for me to say that, we'll lets just say yeah they were small. Front desk was helpful on showing us around too. I would def com back!

Room Tip: A room on the first floor is ideal for heavy travelers. Tiny corridors and lots of stairs and passag...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Holon, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I stayed one night during cycling from London to Paris.We reached to the hotel after cycled in the rain and we werer all wet.
The location is great,near the beach and not far from center .
The staff was efficient and they show us where to store the bicycle and the card for the room.
The room was small,furniture were look old,
The bathroom was very clean and had good water streaming.
We didnt eat breakfast in the hotel because we had ferry in Newhaven to eat.The lunchbox were poor.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Croydon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Hotel provided a good stay, located on Brighton sea front in good location . Comfortable big bed. Clean room. Nice staff. However breakfast was very disappointing. Food quite clearly not cooked to order and left sitting in kitchen for some time. On this basis would be unlikely to stay again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for your review and I look forward to your returning in the near future.

Iain Lindsay

Been to Kings Hotel? Share your experiences!