“Clean rooms - Friendly staff, but still a little strange..” 3 of 5 stars

Kings Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   139 - 141 Kings Rd, Brighton BN1 2NA, England   |
Ranked #31 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Clean rooms - Friendly staff, but still a little strange..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here last night - I don't think I actually arrived until about 3am, but the receptionist was still really friendly and quickly got me checked in and into my room

The room, although basic, was clean and had everything I needed for such a short stay - the bathroom was a little strange, it was huge but had nothing in it other than a tiny sink, shower and toilet as you'd expect - it just seemed a little odd that the room itself was pretty tiny in comparison... not that I care that much

Although clearly loved and cared for by it's owners, It's a very creaky old building - every time I used the sink there would be a really loud noise coming from a shaky old pipe behind the wall for about five minutes, you can hear every footstep upstairs - which, being one of the cheaper hotels on the seafront, might be an issue on the weekend if you're looking to sleep undisturbed..

Despite this, I am looking forward to staying here again; it's in a fantastic location, has a really friendly atmosphere and is actually pretty affordable!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your comments and It great to hear you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel clean with friendly staff. The bathroom proportion is the way the hotel was converted sometime ago however we do try and keep the property up to date and continually listen to feedback and use this for future developments. I hope we will see you again soon.

Iain Lindsay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
St. Helier, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I arrived early evening after booking through a Hotel booking company with a prepaid voucher for Bed and Breakfast. The receptionist was very pleasant but then asked for a credit card swipe for what I thought to be extras. As I had been travelling extensively I was unsure of the credit on my one card I had with me so advised reception as I was on a pre-paid Bed and Breakfast stay and not interested in using the limited extras, such as the bar, I would prefer not to pass over the card. She was then insistence that a swipe would be needed as this was not for extras but a security deposit (what damage I could do I don't know after seeing the room?). I explained why I preferred not to and she said I could leave a cash deposit. This I wasn't happy with as my only experience with this is often when there is no problem, one is found and sometimes can seriously delay a departure. However, without this, after bringing in the front of house manager in on the conversation and told without it I couldn't stay, I left the deposit. Well I booked a single room and got a single. The window, which you had to contort around several bits of furniture to see out of was not worth the effort as the view overlooked a decaying roof top. The shower unit was like going to one of the budget hotels, where to get to the shower, you had to swing the door shut against the adjacent WC just to access, although when used the water was hot. The noise from people banging doors and creaking floors early morning onwards was unbearable and no sleep was possible after 5am, when I assume the first guests were leaving. After this experience I didn't bother with breakfast. As expected on check out at 1100, I had to wait 15 minutes for the housekeeper to check I hadn't damaged the room (again how, the condition itself when entering wasn't great) before refunding my money (which I had to ask for as the receptionist had me checking out without acknowledging there was a deposit held), which resulted in me very close to missing my planned train. I visit Brighton often for business and visiting friends and unless there is a serious upgrade of this hotel I probably wouldn't stay again, although I must admit the price was good. Then again on a Sunday night in winter, out of conference season, I would expect it to be

Room Tip: Upgrade to sea view as that way you may get a window, not an after thought
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Kettering
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here, took the advice from a reviewer on here and enquired about the sea view room upgrade for an extra £10 and was well worth it. Also another tip, book direct through their website and get free access to the leisure facilities at their sister hotel queens hotel.

The room was exceptionally warm but with some quick adjustment, a cozy room. Creaky floor boards were a bit annoying for that subtle midnight toilet trip in the middle of the night but that comes with the age of the hotel.

The staff were very helpful and polite.

Room Tip: Book basic room and enquire about the sea view room upgrade for an extra £10 and was well worth it...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for your recent review and the team appreciate your comments. I look forward to being able to welcome you back when you next require to stay in Brighton.

London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed here for one night only on a Sunday night, so it was pretty cheap: £49 for two including breakfast which is excellent value for money for a seafront hotel in Brighton. Our room was small, but comfortable and spotlessly clean, warm without being too hot, and very quiet. The car park costs extra, but is very close by. The breakfast was good and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your recent review and I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I look forward to being able to welcome you back in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner came down on wed nite to see the script in concert. Wed 20th. Reception staff were excellant hotel was clean and inviting and lovely and warm. The room we stayed in was warm and very clean and the bed was very comfortable.the shower was great in the morning as was the breakfast.location was excellant and close to everything.would stay again for sure and recommend.only one niggly bit there was no welcome book in the room so did not know how to get through to reception and had to go down to book alarm call but apart from that everything great.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your review and I hope we can welcome you back again soon. I apologise there was no welcome directory of services in the bedroom and I will speak to the housekeeper regarding this issue. All room should have a directory of services.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed here only one night, a Sunday so it was very cheap, although as brighton prices go, for this location the normal rates are good too. If you're getting a bit too old for hostelling, and like the comfort of your own room with a modern clean ensuite then this is a good spot.
Sitting nicely on the sea front on the Hove side it pretty easy to walk either into Hove, or back into Brighton and on to Kemptown/the Marina. Also an easy walk from the train and bus stations.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am glad you decided to treat yourself and stay with us instead of hostelling. You took advantage of one of our offers on a Sunday night and as you say for the location it was good value for money.

Rhodes Town, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Very good value spotlessly clean with friendly helpful staff. Sea front location makes trips into town both easy and walk-able.Especially liked the design and size of the bathroom.Big spacious and gleaming white.I find that its a good sign that a hotel is confident with its cleaning regime to decorate a bathroom totally white.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and is pleasing to read that you found the location the right choice and the hotel spotlesly clean. The white bathrooms is the way we are moving forward.

Iain Lindsay

Been to Kings Hotel? Share your experiences!