“Great choice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
Birmingham
“Great choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Stayed here a couple of weekends ago. I booked a 2 night stay for 2 with breakfast at a discounted price via a daily deals website. Read the reviews and was a little worried to be honest as several were negative, however I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. Only a short 10 minute walk from the train station (all down hill) and perfectly located to be within easy striking distance of the main attractions of Brighton.

My sister-in Law and myself arrived early, and we were checked in early at no extra cost. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and made us feel very welcome. No stuffy 'yes madam no madam' which I dislike intensely and we were not made to feel like we were interrupting the desk staff whenever we passed, just friendly relaxed chatty banter. I had already upgraded to a sea view room and was not disappointed, even though it was a side room we could see the ocean and way into the distance, so we were very happy with that.

The room could sleep 3 comfortably and was very spacious for two people. Nice bathroom/shower, comfortable beds nicely decorated and furnished. Storage could be a problem for 3 but was fine for 2.

We found the hotel remarkably quiet considering there were plenty of guests staying. Obviously it is a seaside town and has quite a vibrant night life so some revelry is to be expected, but it wasn't invasive and did not disturb my sleep although my sister-in-Law slept a little lighter than me.

Breakfast was nicely cooked and efficiently presented, remaining hot and appetising unlike some buffet breakfasts I have had and there was plenty of it, with a varied choice of cereals, fruit, full English, etc. etc. The restaurant decor wasn't to my taste but I wasn't there on an interior decorator's course, so not a problem.

All said, we had a lovely stay and would definitely recommend this hotel. I would love to stay again, but having just checked the non-discounted prices I'm not sure I could afford it, but at the rate I paid, I feel it was very good value given it's seafront location and proximity to the pier and other attractions.

Room Tip: Higher floors may be quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
UmiBrighton, Manager at Umi Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
for a lovely honest feed back review, felt you covered all aspects and addressed some past issues that have resulted in negative feedback not warranted such as our restaurant decor.
I see you booked under a deal, the hotel often does its own deals directly so make sure you let us know next time you wish to stay and we will be more than happy to assist you on this
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I recently stayed here with my partner for 1 night (we couldn't afford to stay for 2!) its cost us £135 including breakfast, which I find expensive, yet as I discovered, Brighton on the whole is pretty expensive! However I'm pleased to say our room was wonderful, couldn't fault it, we had a beautiful sea view, and the room looked as though it had been modernised quite recently. The breakfast was a buffet style breakfast, you can help yourself to tea, coffee, cereal and all the cooked goodies such as egg, bacon, sausages. We enjoyed our stay but wish we had more time to enjoy the room as after going out for evening meal and clubbing until 3am we felt it was a bit wasted on us! Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Madam
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor and was pleased to hear you and your husband enjoyed your stay.
Please make sure you return and visit us at Umi Brighton in the near future. We do some amazing offers especially on a Sunday
See you soon
Umi Team
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stayed here with my children as I was at a conference for a week.
We received a warm welcome upon arrival we were early for checking in but our room was ready which was a great positive.
Our room was spacious nice plain décor, we had a great sea view. I noticed other reviewers have wrote about the noise at a weekend, This IS NOT an issue with the hotel it is the general public outside. Its unfair to says its a negative against the hotel. Believe me we heard plenty as it was football weekend!!.
The breakfast bar was good a full choice of English breakfast, cereal, yoghurts fruit, toast, fruit juice, coffee and tea, it was a buffet service so you could have as much or as little as you wished for.
The reception staff were great a lovely lady in the afternoon when we returned from conference and a jolly chap on an evening all staff were great customer service but those 2 stuck out more, im sorry I cant remember the names.
The hotel is an ideal location across from the beach and minutes from the shop. Yes there is road works but again they are not the hotels.
if I was to return to Brighton I would stay again.
One point WIFI was temperamental.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay so much and your kind comments have been passed onto the team and the restaurant - thank you very much.
You feed back about the team was especially pleasing to read
Umi Management
Bagsvaerd, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed here for 3 days and I loved them all. We asked if the room had seaview just because we were curious and he changed our room to 403 with a seaview! Great staff and great rooms with tea, coffee and a desk. After just staying on a terrible hotel in London (by the way don't stay on city view hotel in London) this really made it up for us. Even though our room was right next to a road with lots a traffic we couldn't here it and the fact that the rooms are so big just made us feel even better.
Well all in all it was great staff, great view and great value!
Thank you!

Stayed July 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review and comments. Myself and the team were so pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and hope you return to Umi Brighton in the near future.
Leura, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

This was quite a pleasant stay in Brighton. Good location, discounted parking, huge breakfast (made to feed an army. So much food!) Our room had a great ocean view (although a little impeded by the roadwork's out the front) and was well decorated and clean. Also there was patchy free wifi which is always a plus. Overall it was quite satisfactory and would recommend it to people wanting to stay in a great location right on the beach front.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Umi B, Manager at Umi Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your pleasant comments and kind review, we hope you return to Brighton and Umi in the near future
Leicester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Friendly helpful staff, fantastic location- 1 min to beach, 5 mins to shops and attractions. room clean and bed very comfortable. Wonderful sea view. restaurant attached for a characterful meal and breakfast lots of choice. Brilliant value on a voucher- couldn't believe how good it was for the price. They have got everything right!

Room Tip: Worth upgrading for the sea view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Umi B, Manager at Umi Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Guest
It was lovely to read you enjoyed your stay at Umi and thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor.
Regards
Umi Team
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

The staff here are fab! There was a lady with an accent on reception most of the time we stayed here who was the most friendly person you could meet. Pablo was also great fun and advised us on the local night life (thankyou Pablo)!
The hotel in itself is pretty basic but the rooms are big and clean which is great. We got a twin room with a beach view. There was no air con, but for the price we paid (£60/person for 2 nights) I couldn't grumble.
The shower and bathroom facilities were good, and clean towels were provided on day two. Extra pillows were in the cupboard and they were good fluffy pillows - a pet hate of mine at hotels is when they only provide one thin pillow! Generally couldn't say anything bad about the hotel. The breakfast buffet was lovely, definitely worth every penny! Would definitely stay here again next time I visit Brighton. It is a 5 minute walk to the Pier and about the same to the city centre shopping area.
Would definitely recommend staying at Hotel Umi rather than a Travelodge or something similar. It is more warm and welcoming than Travelodge.
Also there is a free luggage room for you to store luggage in when you check out - always a bonus as it is a pain having to pull luggage around until your train departs!

Room Tip: Ask for a beach view - if you are using a voucher you may have to pay £20 extra but it is well worth...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Umi B, Manager at Umi Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your amazing feed back and review. To hear our team are Fab means alot to the Management team who are always working on improving that customer service.
We also feel our breakfast is great value for money and has a great selection for such a low price.
We do have a luggage store, but we do actually charge £1 which the hotel donate to charity.
Hope to see you again soon
Regards
Management

Been to Umi Brighton Hotel? Share your experiences!