“Great location, clean and reasonable value hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Umi Brighton Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   64 Kings Road, Brighton BN1 1NA, England   |
Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, clean and reasonable value hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Clean and comfortable - the shower was not great but that would be my only complaint - very good location for exploring brighton. Should you want to leave your bag there, they charge a pound which they dinate to the NSPCC which is a nice touch.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Umi B, Manager at Umi Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to umi Brighton in the future.

Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed here for one night whilst going to see McFly at The Brighton Centre with my boyfriend. On arrival, the hotel seemed nice and clean with friendly staff. Our room was situated on the top floor with a beautiful sea view and the bed was gigantic and very comfy. On the other hand, there were hairs in the bath, the door was extremely difficult to lock and there was quite a lot of mold around the windows. The shower was nice and powerful but the pump bottle of 'Body Wash' they provided was pretty grim. As we expected, when trying to sleep, it was virtually impossible because of the noise. It wasn't because of the drunken revelers, but a very loud bass line from a local club, but in reality I slightly expected that because of the location, and this wasn't the hotel's fault at all. Speaking of the location, it was fantastic as it was only a 2 minute walk from The Brighton Centre and the sea views were great. There was a large selection for breakfast, but the bacon was stone cold, which I didn't understand because it was under a hot plate? Over all, the best part of the hotel was the bed. Would we stay again? If it was £30, maybe.

Room Tip: Top floor with a sea view is fantastic, just be prepared for noise, weekend or week day!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I was please to see that you enjoyed the majority of your stay with us.

I have passed your comments regarding the standard of breakfast to the restaurant and apologies for any disappointment caused.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The rating of this hotel is a reflection of the relationship between price and quality. As I have stayed at hotels in Brighton before, I am no stranger to the prices in town.

My assessment would be that the Umi is likely to be disappointing if you pay any amount higher than £ 130 for a double room per night including breakfast. That being said, I cannot recommend having breakfast at the hotel and would instead suggest that you frequent the coffee shop next door. The reason being that the breakfast is tasteless, only of all products of the lowest quality, service depressing and unwelcome. The breakfast room still had a distinctive smell of alcohol, seats were sticky, tables dusty and it was dark, humid and decorated in a distasteful way.

The location is very good and the view from out room was stunning. However, I would recommend staying at the Old Ship further down the street towards the Pier, which is mostly in the same price range.

The room was fine. Unfortunately we could not shower since we had no hot water and where not compensated at all. The electricity was out the night we stayed, we were not offered any compensation.

Lastly, it should be noted that we were charged a price pr. per. pr. night, which was higher than the usual price. Had we paid less, I would not have been nearly as harsh on this establishment. But a hotel should never charge more than the double amount for any room, as it will lead to higher expectations.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. I'd like to take this opportunity to say how sorry I am you were disappointed and correct some inaccuracies.

There is no excuse for the poor standards of cleanliness in the restaurant, and I have personally spoken to them regarding this important issue. The breakfast package when booked on-line is £4 per person, and I believe the quality and variety offered far exceeds the nominal amount you pay.

I note you recommend the Old Ship Hotel as a comparasion, this is in fact a 4* property where we are a 3* hotel and are priced accordingly.

The issues regarding no electricity or hot water were out of our control and down to a power failure at a local sub station which affected a portion of the sea front. Guests were offered to either be re-located at no extra expense, or if you wished to stay receive a 50% discount on their accommodation. As it's clear you opted to stay you would have received that discount but fail to mention this in your review, and in fact say no compensation was offered which is not true. The water issue was connected to the loss of power, and a further 15% discount was given to guests for this inconvenience.

Without details of how you booking I am unable to full comment on your last statement regarding how you paid. However, I can confirm that we do not ourselves sell on a per person per night basis, though a third party site may choose to market our prices this way, but in all instances we are bound by rate parity and offer the same room prices to all our third party suppliers.

Once again I would like to thank you for your comments.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This hotel is decent value. The rooms are clean but basic, the staff friendly and position is great. The hotel is basic though, such as no outgoing telephone lines! Not luxury but ok for a couple of nights.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Umi B, Manager at Umi Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. Your comments are much appreciated. I've passed your positive comments onto the staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to umi Brighton.

Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

If location is the only thing that matters for you, no need to read further. This hotel is indeed on the ocean front, but that's about the only good thing about it (and only if you don't mind the noise). We bought a one night stay from Groupon as we wanted a brief get-away from London for my birthday. Upon checking-in we were offered an upgrade to a sea-view room, which was really nice from them. However we found the room too noisy (no double glazing here!) and requested a more quiet room. We were given room 412 which to my standard was very dirty. The carpet is worn out with spots, the curtains are torn on the back side, the windows have not been cleaned for long time, the bathroom door and the cabinet walls are cracked from the moist. I actually found some hair on the sheet - it can't be much worse than that for me. From what I saw in the first room we were offered, the situation wasn't much different in terms of hygiene.

The view from the window overlooks the back court - meaning walls and a building site, as well as the back of the restaurant. It didn't bother us as we wanted quiet room, not a view. It was quiet during the night, however we were woken up early in the morning by some loud noise, presumably cleaning of restaurant waste.

As for the breakfast - food was OK, the coffee was filter and not really hot. Restaurant setting is pretty tacky.

Therefore it is safe to say that we will not return to this hotel. I wish I had read some reviews here before booking, rather than relying on their website.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. I was sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your time with us like the majority of our customers.

We pride ourselves on our excellent service, and standards and would not expect any guest to stay in a room they considered not up to their personal standards. Had you notified reception of your displeasure we could have rectified the situation immediately.

I have passed your comments regarding the breakfast service onto the restaurant which is a third party supplier and not controlled by the hotel. I can understand that the lavish, well presented, guilt operatic design of the restaurant, whilst loved by 1000's of satisfied customers, may not be to everyone liking but I disagree that it is tacky.

Once again, thank you for your comments, and I'd advise all potential customers that should they have any issue with the accommodation provided to contact reception where we can assist you.

ESSEX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here only for 1 night, it was great. The room was sea view and boy what a view through very clean windows, in fact immaculate all through our room and bathroom.
The breakfast was superb and the staff were really helpful.
Left luggage store was a blessing and discount given on parking as well, just ask them where to park when you book.

• Stayed May 2013
Umi B, Manager at Umi Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. I was pleased to see that you, like the majority of our guests, enjoyed your time with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to umi Brighton.

Hotel Management

Been to Umi Brighton Hotel? Share your experiences!