“Amazing Hotel, Amazing Service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 25% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #33 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing Hotel, Amazing Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

Honestly, I have no idea how this hotel got any negative reviews, because our experience was fabulous!! We stayed for 3 nights during the holidays.

My friends and I had to book this hotel last minute because our flights out of the UK had been cancelled due to poor weather conditions. And from the minute we walked in the door, the service was impeccable. The front desk, concierge and housekeeping were all welcoming, attentive and extremely helpful. There was not a single request they could not accommodate (needed a converter, needed someone who spoke Chez, needed weather forecasts, etc...).

The hotel was beautiful. It looked like they had been recently renovated, but they were able to maintain the old school charm of a posh English hotel. The lounge was inviting and the pool/workout room was very nice.

You couldn’t beat the waterfront location; in a safe area and a short walk to everything - the pier, the pavilion, the north and south lanes.

The breakfast was fabulous with an amazing selection of hot foods, cooked to order foods, pastries, fruits, and meets and cheeses! Even the scrambled eggs were great (scrambled eggs in England leave something to be desired vs. the States). Plus the room that it was served in was beautiful!

If there was anything that could be improved it would be the slowish service in the lounge and the fact that you have to pay for internet access. I would also say that the tiles in the shower needed a good scrub down, but I noticed this to be the case in every hotel I stayed at in Europe. Anyway, these minor inconveniences weren't enough to put a damper on such a great hotel experience!

Next time we’re in Brighton, we won’t look anywhere else.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
GuestAssistance, Guest Asistance at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, January 13, 2010
I am so pleased you and your friends enjoyed staying with us.
Your taking the time to write a review is very much appreciated. I hope you will be returning to the UK in the not so distant future, when we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Brighton Metropole.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

Stayed with husband and 2 kids - 9 yrs & 4yrs. Took advantage of hilton offer that kids room is half price of adults. Had interconnecting deluxe plus rooms. Spacious and nicely done up. Good modern bathrooms. Communal areas could do with updating. However despite this I could not recommend this hotel more. It is clear where the management has decided to spend its money - on the staff and they are all antastic. All the service was outstanding - even my extremely fussy husband was impressed. Kids loved pool.
Very good breakfast , with friendly chef George making pancakes, waffles and omlettes.
To be honest this is the best service we have ever had and we always stay in 4 or 5 star hotels. Previously stayed at The Grand (luxurious but small rooms) and thistle Brighton (good but not memorable). Hilton hands down winner - I am surprised it is not no. 1 in Brighton.
Had great trips out at Sea Life & Brighton Pavillion. Hilton reception gave us reduced price tickets (sea life half price, Pavillon free kids voucher). Both are worth a visit .
Tip - take your own toilet paper - Hilton seems to be using very cheap brand.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
GuestAssistance, Guest Assistance at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, January 13, 2010
Thank you very much for your recommendation. I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your visit. Our Facilities Manager has been advised of your thoughts with regards the toilet paper supplied. Thank you again for taking the time to post a review, and I do hope we will be welcoming you back to the Brighton Metropole very soon.
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

Booked a 2 night B&B break, first night just with the hubby but second night with friends as well. Overall we had a brilliant time
Staff- Staff were brilliant, very friendly and helpful, the whole trip.
Food - Breakfast was great, 1st day there was a queue as everyone had had a lay in i think! But staff were working hard to ensure we didn't have to queue for long. And had put out juice and pastrys for those queuing. The food was brilliant and the tables by the window were very nice as was the dining room.
Rooms- we'd paid a bit more for a king sized room, which was lovely but the heating was broken on arrival. A very pleasant young caretaker came but couldn't fix it. We were moved to a slightly smaller, but newly refurbished room. It was very nice, was still a very good size with an enormous bed and sea view and balcony and seating area. Our friends rooms were still nice but quite compact.
Hotel - the hotel itself is a beautiful building, pleasantly decorated and maintained to a very high standard.
We didn't manage to go the spa as had shorter opening hours, we did however visit the pool, which has a sauna, steam room and jacuzzi by it. They were clean, pretty average but we had a nice relaxing time in them.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
GuestAssistance, Guest Assistance at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, December 31, 2009
Thank you for your lovely comments, we do have a fantastic team of people here and I shall ensure your thoughts are passed on to them. I apologise for the inconvenience of your having to change your room, but I am pleased you were happy with the alternative accommodation offered. I Wish you a Happy New Year and hope you will choose to stay with us again soon.
Fareham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

Went to Hilton Brighton Metropole on 28 November as a birthday treat for my husband. I had booked a superior room, however there was no heating in the room - the heating dial was hanging off the wall, so would have been clear for staff to see. Despite complaining twice, all we were given was a small electric heater for the bedroom and no heat at all in the bathroom. When I used it at the same time as the kettle all the electricity blew, and so had no lights, heat etc etc. I complained again to reception and once again no help was offered. On our return I emailed Hilton to say how disappointed I was with our experience, unfortunately Hilton Brighton Metropole did not feel I was important enough to reply!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
I am terribly sorry you experienced these problems, and concerned that you did not receive a response from Hilton. We have several contact email addresses, unfortunately I can not investigate further without knowing the address you used. All correspondence sent direct to the hotel will be responded to. All our guests are highly valued and their feedback is very important to us.
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

When we got to the hotel our room was not ready but that wasnt a problem we had an upgrade which we had to pay for which ive never had to do before as where ive stayed in diffferent hotels if there not busy they do it for free.
We had some drinks in the bar before dinner they had an offer on champagne when we asked what was free in the bag the reply was WELL WHAT DO YOU WANT IN THE BAG!!
to that we did not buy any. at dinner we were seated fast with our order taken in the same way from there it went down hill. The soup my partner had was cold when we called the waitress over her reply was well the bowl is warn!! but did get a fresh one i had fish cakes and well for a four star hotel did not think it would be TINNED SALMON but did not complane as i think the chef was having a bad night for our main i had chicken which was abit dry my partner had steak which he did ask for rare but when it came that was over cooked to so we called the waitress over she took it away only to bring it back and tell us THATS HOW WE COOK RARE STEAK HERE!!!! to this my partner told her he cooks for a living as soon as he said that she took it away and came back with a new one we did get some free drinks but to tell you the truth if i had not already paid the dinner i would have left at the starter. now the thing is the lady/waitress that served us was a manager so we over heard so that just made things even worse i did leave a card in the bedroom that we filled out and addressed to the manager but have had no feed back to which is rude but then again if they speak to there guests like that then there not going to reply to a bad review

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
GuestAssistance, Guest Assistance at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, December 17, 2009
All guest correspondence is read and actioned. Our time scale is for the guest to receive a reply from the relevant Head of Department within 14 days of receipt of correspondence. I have personally seen, read and forwarded your comments onto our Food and Beverage Manager and you will be in receipt of reply very shortly. It just remains for me to say that I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your dining experience and to thank you for your thoughts.
brighton, sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

Check in was very pleasant and fast and I was made to feel very welcome in a hotel that to be honest feels a bit out of my league, my room (421) was very comfy and clean looked rather modern with the feature wallpaper and funky bed linen, the work station was easy to use but a surcharge for the in room internet access seemed a bit of a money spinner for Hilton, as other hotels of this price and standard tend to offer free internet, (i.e. the Grand hotel,) the bathroom was a tad on the small side but very usable and clean with plenty of fresh towels and free top end toiletries, the room could of done with a seat in it apart from the one for use with the work station, a nice little bucket style seat would of fitted in just nicely buy the built-in wardrobe, the mini bar was locked shut but I did book the room at a rather late time on the day of check in, I did have one problem when I arrived with the bed rolling around the room on caster wheels but a quite word with the kind lady on the front desk soon saw that problem disappear,
Sunday morning I awoke not fresh but as the bed was a little harder than what I’m used to but a nice shower soon had me feeling at my best and breakfast was calling,
Breakfast is truly awesome at this hotel, loads on offer from a quick bowl of cereal to a full English and every thing in-between, made to feel very much at home and I must of spent at least an hour taking in the sights and sounds with a coffee and a free Sunday paper,

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
GuestAssistance, Guest Assistance at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, December 14, 2009
Thank you for taking the trouble to post your review. I am so pleased you felt welcome, the whole ethos of Hilton is to ‘Spread the Warmth and Light of Hospitality’. I have passed on you thoughts with regards the idea of an additional chair and the issue of the caster wheels on the bed to our Facilities Manager for review. Thank you again, your comments are much appreciated and I do hope you visit us again soon
beccles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

this is my 3rd stay at this Hilton, the first time was a disaster, the 2nd time was a waste of money, and this 3rd time was......... well interesting?.
ok........ arrived 3pm sat afternoon to a very wet and windy seafront, parked car in hotel car park ( plenty of spaces but tight!), checked in ( took 3 Min's), and went to my room.
this was a single room that i booked via lastminate.com for £61, so considering this it was worth the money, however if i would have paid the full £144 via Hilton's website i would have demanded a room change.
the room was fairly big if a little tired but warm and clean, had safe trouser press but no mini bar.
bed was comfy and i slept well , didn't wake refreshed but i think this was due to the beer i had with friends the night before.
didn't use the gym but did use sauna and pool........ this is where it lets itself down a bit..... i like to have 2 towels, 1 to have around my shoulders for sweat ( in the sauna), and 1 for drying after my final shower, the attendant insisted i can only have 1 towel..... ok ok , yes its not the end of the world i know but from a hygiene point of view its important, didn't complain , will just take 1 from my room next time, just thought it was a bit "petty".
gotta say breakfast was delicious!, did enjoy it , plus it was novel to eat whilst watching huge waves crash onto the promenade, it was force 10 gale outside, they wouldn't even let you use the front entrance as it was THAT bad!.
ok , to sum -up, it did the job fine, lovely building and staircase, and enjoyed my stay..... oh and parking is £14. for 24hours.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
GuestAssistance, Guest Assistance at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, December 7, 2009
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us despite the wild weather! I have checked with our Safety Manager and he has advised me that the front entrance single doors were indeed closed to ensure guest safety, however the front entrance revolving doors were still safe to be used. All our rooms have mini bars provided, so I have asked our Facilities Manager this morning to do a check on all single rooms, as we do not have your room number. Also I have passed on your thoughts regarding the issuing of towels to our Spa Manager and await his reply. Thank you for your review we welcome your feedback and look forward to a fourth visit from you.

Been to Hilton Brighton Metropole? Share your experiences!