“Not the Hilton standard” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 25% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #32 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Not the Hilton standard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

As HHGold we stayed one night 1st December using our points.The experience right from check-in was not what we are used to with Hilton.Our reservation was unable to be recognised and I was made to feel very uncomfortable while waiting for my husband to get back from parking the car.All the Hiltons we have stayed in worldwide have managed to find our reservation by surname alone.We were then told there was no upgrade as they were full which we fully understood,however the room we were given was seriously substandard!The carpet was stained throughout ,curtains stained,air vent in bathroom sellotaped up,lighting poor and the bed was uncomfortable.Reception rang to ask if our room was satisfactory and we said no,they were unable to move us but on speaking to the manager half our points were refunded.
This was a terrible experience and feel we had been punished by using our points.We will not be staying at this Hilton again.I cannot rate the breakfast as we just wanted to leave as quickly as possible.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GuyHilton-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Laynne

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments following your recent stay with us and I am sorry to read of your disappointments with the hotel. I would like to extend my most sincere apologies to you for not meeting your expectations.

I have shared your comments with my Director of Operations Damian Meadows who would also like to offer his apologies and would be delighted to discuss your stay with you in more detail to resolve your dissatisfaction.

Please contact the hotel directly on 01273 775432 and ask to speak to Damian Meadows, the Director of Operations and he would be more than happy to call you.

Guy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Dirty, messy place. Absolutely not good!
This hotel suffers from small, dirty rooms, unfriendly receprion, no free wlan. THe only good thing is the central location. My recommendation: Don't book it!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with ehotel.de

GuyHilton-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear 96TimD,

Please contact the hotel directly on 01273 775432 and ask to speak to Damian Meadows Director of Operations he would be more than happy to speak to you.

Hertford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have given this Hilton Hotel an average star rating as I feel it is not poor but also just about average. Being a HHoners Loyalty card holder, I stay in Hilton Hotels all around the country and by far this has to be the worse.

For a start, the car park is a long walk from the hotel, charged at £16.00 per night which i feel is good value, but when you get charged twice and not refunded, I find it very expensive. I paid just under £300 for a standard room with breakfast, when I entered the room, it was very basic as in Travelodge standards, I had a broken Ironing board, hairs in the bed and believe it or not 1 bath towel between two adults. The room was very cold even though I had set the room temperture to its full 26 degrees. Some staff are very helpful and polite, overs are very snobby to say the least and look down on you and make you feel intimidated.

The leisure facilities are also lacking, I have to rate these 3/10, swimming pool is cold, hot tub, steam room and sauna are extemely small and overall for the amount of guests using the leisure facilities its very over crowded and the changing rooms can only fit a maximum of 4 people in at any time, when I was there, there was 6 men getting changed on top of eachother and I found it very uncomfortable.

The Breakfast was ok, but could have been better, it was nothing special.

I have given my honest opinion of this hotel and I hope other people find it useful, I have to be honest and give this hotel a 4/10 and I am very sorry to say, I would of been happier using a Premier Inn or Travelodge as I find it to be the same standard. I would say this hotel needs quite some minor improvements before It can live up to its name.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and last of all, it is not as close to Brighton Pier as the maps says, It was a good 10 minutes walk away from the main part of town.

Dear Mr Smith,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments following your recent stay with us and I am sorry to read of your disappointments about the hotel.

I am sorry to read that the Hilton Breakfast within the hotel did not meet your expectations, as we regularly receive very positive comments from our guests regarding this.

Please accept my apologies for being over charged for parking, if you could sent in a copy of your bill and receipt where you were charged twice we would be more than happy to refund the extra charge back to you.

I have also shared your comments on the cleanliness and lack of amenities in your room with my Rooms Divisions Manager for him to review within his team.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the disappointments you had with the hotel and be assured we are renovating and improving the hotel on a regular basis.

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

As usual the staff at the Hilton Brighton Metropole did their very best to ensure our party went well! We had two beautiful function rooms for our grandson's 1st birthday party yesterday and all our 60 + guests were well looked after. Our thanks to Martyn and Claudia on cake and tea duty! And to Ali who helped our entertainer. Looks as though we have started a tradition - look out Metropole - you will be seeing our 22 little guests every year until they are old enough to buy the drinks themselves!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed here again with a group of friends in November.
The hotel left nothing to be desired from room cleanliness to staff service.
Everyone is polite and helpful and are always willing to help.
The breakfast has plenty of choice and the food is hot........my only complaint would be that on both days the egg chef was under cooking the eggs.
Would recommend this hotel to any visitor coming to Brighton....the location could not be better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Tw0Amig0s,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay at Hilton Brighton Metropole with your friends.

I was delighted to read that you and found our team to be friendly and helpful throughout your stay with us, and you enjoyed our famous Hilton Breakfast.

Your comments regarding the egg station has been shared with our Executive Sous Chef and our Food & Beverage Manager to address.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I would never have expected such old, creepy rooms in a Hilton hotel. Honestly I've been in better hostels before.
We went to Brighton for a funeral and our family booked a few rooms in this 'hotel' for friends and family as the wake was going to be there as well. First night we were given a room in the backside (No. 476), views from the windows were terrible. It was small, furniture was old, room was dark, a few lamps did not work. Worse of all, the room was not properly isolated, and it was cold. Next morning we found that the shower was broken as well. We had the feeling it was one of the staff's rooms. We complained about this and they said the would informed maintenance.
Anyway we informed our family and the people in charge of negotiating the booking of the rooms, who demanded a change in room.
Second night they gave us a room for disabled (No. 160). Bigger room this time, but creepy as well. Bathroom was equipped for wheelchairs, with toilet bowl higher than usual, low sink and a seat on the shower. I am sharing a photo of the awful views as well. At least it was not cold.
Worse of all was that the rest of the family and friends had better rooms and we felt discriminated. I must say that they were all English and we were not.
We'll go back to Brighton but never again to this 'hotel'.

Room Tip: Don't expect a good room if you're not English
Dear Ixi82

Charlwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

By far the best breakfast I have had anywhere for many, many years. It really was very good. Two qute small points for improvement . . . firstly, the attentive waiting staff in the restaurant are super efficient at cleaning away used crockery and cutlery - they were a tad too efficient for me - I'd have preferred if they just left it with us for another minute or 2. Secondly, the coffee was not fantastic. It was okay, but compared to the rest of the breakfast it was very ordinary. I'm not sure if it was instant or filter, but I hope the Hilton don't pay a lot of money for it.

The occasion for our stay was a works Christmas 'do' at the venue and we had a special offer room rate. Our room was on the 1st floor, right over the ballroom disco. As we had an early start next day, we also had a slightly earlier night, and the music was very, very loud in our room.

The room was sizeable, and quite well furnished, but looked tired. Bed very comfortable. Heating fine. Wifi connection in the room very poor and at £15 per day, not very good value. Unable to connect to free wifi in ballrooms, but lobby seemed ok.

Overnight parking reasonable at £16, but car park a long way from reception and requires a short outdoor walk. Weather was ok for us, but that cannot be guaranteed.

The hotel lighting was strange, with the corridors practically floodlit by weird looking energy saving bulb arrays, whilst the lobbies and stairs are distinctly dark.

I don't think I'd choose to stay there unless attending an event in the hotel.

Room Tip: Not the 1st floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Crispness,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay at Hilton Brighton Metropole.

I have shared your comments regarding the standard of coffee and the clearing of your cutlery and crockery with our Food & Beverage Manager for this review.

Hotel does offer complimentary WIFI in the public area of the hotel for our guest to use, your comments on the lighting in the main corridors has been shared with our Facilities team to investigate.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Guy

Been to Hilton Brighton Metropole? Share your experiences!