“Consistent” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
bath, UK
“Consistent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed here for the third visit in May, and as ever I was delighted with our night, during the festival. The staff were polite and efficient and helpful; the room - albeit a little tired is absolutely fantastic value for money and the location is so central. Dont be put off by scores, this is definitely worth a visit

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Polish first
Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This hotel was very old and smelled musty and mouldy. Right across from the Brighton Pier. Nice fresh seafood at base of beach. The Grand Hotel was great to see. We bought the bus pass and used in for 2 days. No wonder Margaret Thatcher liked to stay there. The elevator was big enough for 2 people and 2 suitcases. The curtains in our room were dirty half way up the panels and wrinkled. The mattress was like sleeping on rocks it was at least 6" thick and one sheet. Dinky little pillows and the twins were pushed together. I took a walk in the basement as it had rooms there too and it was not nice. The furniture was old and totally dismal. I don't think any of the staff were born in England as their accents were hard to understand. It must of been a great and glamorous hotel a million years ago but it is one I would never go to again but then I plan on not going back to England at all. Nothing like looking out dirty windows. Bedding piled outside our door in a corner rather than a push cart. Water was also running on the b-room floor but we could not find out from where. We had a small snack when we arrived and I asked if I could have my bread toasted...No, we don't do that!!!

Room Tip: Take ear plugs and face clothes. There are no helpful hints for this hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

My family and I
stayed at this hotel recently, we had a lovely time. The food was very good.
The staff were very helpful and made our stay a memorable one. We would
certainly like to stay there again.
The Reynolds Family.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Vernham Dean
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I've been here before - that was bad.... but I forgot, and booked it again....

Positives:

It's on the sea front in Brighton by the (Palace) Brighton Pier.
It's close to The Lanes and loads of bars / restaurants.

Negatives:

No parking of it's own.
Little customer focus from staff, few of whom seem able to speak English.
Tired, run down, shabby.
No biscuits with the Tea/coffee in the room.
Uneven creaking floors in the bedroom.
Chipped and damaged Furniture straight from the '50's
Primitive CRT television with trouble holding its colour.
Tap in the bath room sink dripped...and dripped...and dripped.....all night.
No bath mat, and insufficient towels.
Someone else's PUBIC HAIR in the bath..... (yeeeeukkkk)
Low water flow through the shower.
Wash basin blocked, took 10 minutes to drain.
Self Service English breakfast soaked in fat and grease, non-proprietary breakfast cereals.
Needs a complete make-over.

I reported the probs with wash basin when I checked out. I'm not sure if I was pushing the knowledge of English of the receptionist, but either way, she wasn't interested and didn't take any note.... Good luck if you get room 401

Won't be back. Not at £120 for a "seaview" room !

Room Tip: Use a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I booked this hotel for my sister back in April who was attendind a conference in the neighborhood. I was really worried reading the reviews but as we were on a tight budget this seemed to be the only place.
She got checked in easily and even she got an upgrade to a seaview doulbe room. I rang the hotel and asked for a nice room and with a window as I have read there are some rooms in the basement. The room was very basic and old but clean. This is definitely not a 4 star place not even a 3 but the price you pay you can't really expect too much. It's location compansate the minor issues you can come across, it is right next to the bus station and the pier. Don't beleive in all the bad reviews here, for a couple of days this place is perfect for 35 pound a night.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room with window.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have an expectation of some sort of quality when I book through Lastminute. I'm not suggesting I will always get fine dining and silken bed sheets, but at least some degree of comfort. The Royal Albion Brighton falls well below that. I was initially put in a basement room because the water tanks/bolier were broken and they were the only rooms with water. I asked to be moved as I didn't want to stay in a prison cell. They put me up on the 3rd floor, the view was nice but the windows had not been cleaned for months and the bathroom only half done. By midnight water started to return, not enough to flush the toilet but enough to fill a kettle. By morning the pressure was back and I could take a shower, which I did and promptly ran out of the hotel. Refund, please

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Firstly I have to say that the staff are very friendly but the hotel itself is a joke.

The bin men are on strike in Brighton at the moment, something about not getting enough respect or money or education... probably money... now while this is obviously not the hotels fault you would think that a half decent manager would have had the bright idea of emptying the bins directly outside the hotel, rather than having crap laying around everywhere. Nope that would obviously be a step to far for Basil, he just couldn't pull that one off, so yes there is crap everywhere outside.

The hotel is in a fantastic location but that also means it's in a busy location which makes it noisy, unfortunately the lack of any double glazing is a REAL problem as there seems to be a siren going past every thirty minutes. And as the air-conditioning doesn't work it's either be uncomfortable or woken up, those are your choices!

But first you have to get to the room and if like me you're on the fifth floor then you either get a good work out or use the lift. Well I say lift, I think they have two pensioners locked up on the roof in a giant hamster wheel. I was able to easily beat it to the fifth floor and I suffer from sever lazy git syndrome and was not in a hurry to get there.

Tonight it seems that three or four of the floors are without water in the rooms to which we are being told they are working on it, strangely I have yet to see one workman walking around anywhere but then maybe they're using ninja plumbers in Brighton!
I was advised by the very nice girl on reception that I could have a basement room "to have a shower". When I asked if it would be a permanent room she replied "oh would you like to move completely", I almost laughed. I did contemplate walking through the hotel stark naked from the shower in the basement to my room on the fifth floor but was worried about catching cold, so advised her I would like a permanent move!

Now the basement room... I'm pretty sure that if I was a prisoner I would have the right to complain to some European human rights group. No windows, intermittent wi-fi signal at best (still better than the fifth floor room though), even the old 1970's TV has a crappy picture. The only thing it's missing is a flap at the bottom of the door for them to push the food through and empty my slop bucket!

I've read on here that the breakfast is meant to be OK, but quite frankly unless it's served on silver platters by roller skating semi-naked miss world runner ups it's not going to make up for all the short comings of this hotel.

Basically this hotel was probably very nice in its day, unfortunately that day was some time in 1962 and now it's just run down and needs refurbishing.

I'm not going to give the hotel a one out of five as the girls behind the bar are very nice and the girl on reception was doing her best even though she had undoubtedly been moaned at about 100 times in less than 4 hours about the water not working. But you're only getting two out of five because it won't let me do one and a half!

Room Tip: Avoid the basement or the fifth floor, unless you're a mole or a pigeon!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton? Share your experiences!