“Slightly faded grandeur . .” 3 of 5 stars

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 Old Steine, Brighton BN1 1NT, England   |
Ranked #39 of 44 hotels in Brighton
Llanelli, United Kingdom
“Slightly faded grandeur . .”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Hmmm . . . . We booked a 3 night wine & dine special here from the 26/10/12 to the 29/10/12 and for the price paid we felt it was very good value, we booked an executive double sea view room ( 317 ) with jacuzzi bath which was great !.The restaurant is little more than a self service canteen however we felt all the food was of a reasonable quality with enough choice for us.

As other visitors have noticed - this hotel is a little tired & could do with some reinvestment but overall it's functional & good value, we found all the staff helpful & welcoming.

The major attraction of this hotel is undoubtedly its position - practically opposite the pier with all of Brightons attractions within walking distance, the only downside to the position is that the sea facing rooms overlook the A259 which is a busy road with some road noise is noticeable from the room, although this didn't really bother us.

In conclusion, for a short break to Brighton - this hotel fulfilled our needs.

Room Tip: Book an executive sea facing double with jacuzzi bath !
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, December 6, 2012

We strive to provide an exemplary level of customer service to all our guests.

As a city centre hotel we are in the heart of Brighton’s night life. We have rooms which are on street level and I can appreciate that disturbance would have been caused by the neighbouring bus station and the public.

1,645 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Basically at the end of Brighton pier! The shore end! Have stayed here on numerous occasions and have never been dissappointed......of course if you pay such a low price you cant expect much! Down side is that the hotel is gradually falling apart and looks sad both inside and out. Rooms are not great but comfortable and cleanish. the carpet cleaning in rooms leaves alot to be desired ! Staff are helpful and breakfast is really good. reading the other reviews its clear people go expecting the 4* treatment but if thats what your looking for you will need to pay alot more and stay somewhere else. However we stay there because of the seaview and view of the pier plus its so close to the shops so we put up with the downsides and therefore never dissappointed!.

Room Tip: ask for the sea view

We strive to provide an exemplary level of customer service to all our guests.
Your comments have been passed to the heads of each department so as the staff members involved are praised.

Chichester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

dont go there the air conditioning only aloud and set when it works 6pm to 7pm each day, the place is dirty needs new carpets or at least a very good deep clean. The furniture is very old and some bits broken. I stayed with my new Husband for a few days honeymoon, we got there to be told could not check in until 3pm when the papers said 12 noon. We got in a room after compaining, it was like being in a fridge it was warmer outside the hotel. We were told we could have an elecric heater as we cold not use the aircon, we got upgraded free to a room with a spa bath the room was warm but the fixtures and fittings were as bad.
Staff were pleasant which was nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
I would first like to apologise for any delay in responding to your complaint; we take complaints made to the hotel seriously and value the time it takes to make such a complaint

It is regretful that on this occasion we were not able to offer the room type booked. Please be assured that this is not the usual standard of service provided at our hotel and we are deeply sorry that your enjoyment of Brighton was impacted.
Please be assured that the comfort and experience of our guests is our priority.
Thank you for taking the time to write to me regarding your recent stay with us.

We value all feedback we receive, both positive and negative, in order that we can improve and maintain our product and service.

kind regards

Operations Manager (HCIMA)
chichester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This must have been a great hotel in its time but sadly not now . Once you accept that we found it ok staff were great food in the canteen ok but noise from sea view room not good . We must have been above club but still managed to sleep after bottle wine . Room large and clean but tired . What the hotel has is good staff who looked after us well .

• Stayed October 2012

We strive to provide an exemplary level of customer service to all our guests.

We hope you choose to stay at the Royal Albion hotel during your next visit to Brighton

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

One night was enough as the room has defiantly seen better days like 1850, and the breakfast
well the boiled eggs were black and a lack of space in the dinning area made the self service area a free for all rugby scrum affair !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest

It is unfortunate that we did not provide the level of service usually afforded by our hotel on this occasion. Your letter of complaint has been forwarded to all heads of department in order that the issues you have reported can be investigated and any remedial action taken, immediately regarding your room.
Our restaurant is a self-service buffet style operation for all meals; this can help service to progress smoothly and fairly quickly. Fried eggs are available but on request, there are signs around the Restaurant to inform guests of this service.
I am sorry that you did not find the food satisfactory, we rarely get complaints about our food. I will however pass on your comments to our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.

kind regards

ipswich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

stayed for 3 nights wish it had been longer.we had room102 overlooking sea very nice and comfortable .Beds very comfortable we both slept well.WE ate in the restraunt every night as the food was so good .Staff were all very polite and helpfull .If you want a modern hotel all chrome and glass this is not for you.but if you want old fashioned elegance squashy comfy sofas in the lounge and waiters bringing you coffee .then stay stay here

Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This hotel does not deserve any stars at all. I would not stay there again if it were free! The two rooms I was forced to stay in were a basement room with no windows, and a disgusting smelling room, which looked like it had last been renovated in the 80's. The latter room was dusty, the furniture sunbleached and stained, and smelled like a smoker's compartment on a train. The hotel itself is run down, and looks more like a cheap youth hostel than a hotel charging 3-star prices. There are crumpling sellotaped printouts all around the reception, the breakfast lounge has the atmosphere of a factory cafeteria (with the appropriate food), and there are empty bottles in the hallways at all times of day.
The staff seemed exasperated, and no wonder, as there were complaining guests at reception every time I went there.
There were a lot of bus tour guests there, which meant a lot of pensioners, but also a lot of noisy young people.

I had booked before I read the reviews (big mistake!). Being alarmed by the poor reviews, I called the hotel and was informed that there were renovated and unrenovated rooms, but since I had called 3 weeks before arrival I would be booked into a nice newly renovated twin room with seaview.
When I arrived I was given a basement double room with no window, in which a camping bed was placed to make it a “twin room”, I suppose. When I complained, the receptionist told me that there were no other rooms available, but I would be placed in a better room the next day.
The next day I was told no better room would be available before the last night of my stay, so I insisted on alternative accommodation to be found for me, and also that I was not willing to pay for a basement room that I would never have booked. For the next three days I was put in a lovely seafront hotel, and the cost of the night in the basement was credited to my card.
The last night I had to return to the hotel, but I was promised I would be booked in a newly renovated seaview room with a balcony. When I mentioned that I had heard such a promise before and ended up in the basement, the receptionist said I was definitely booked in that room. I believed after such an embarrassment, the hotel would want to avoid a repeat of the initial disaster. Turns out, that was naïve!
When I came back three days later, I was given a dingy old room (331) which smelled like a smokers room, was stained and dusty, and altogether so disgusting that I hesitated to put my luggage down on its ancient carpet. It also had no sea view nor a balcony, which wasn't my main concern, but it alerted me to the fact that something must have gone wrong with my booking (again!). After some pressing the receptionist admitted that the people in the room initially booked for me had decided to extend their stay, thus apparently voiding my (guaranteed) booking.
Again, the hotel was fully booked, and the only alternative room they could offer me was noisy. One could hear the music from the basement club through the floor, and there was a water leak in the bathroom ceiling (!) where a constant drip of water came down next to the light fixture onto a towel that had been placed on the floor.

Whatever you book in this hotel, and there are a lot of choices (standard, superior, economy, sea view, jacuzzi !), hardly matters. It seemed like you'll get whatever is left over on the day you arrive. I saw many other guest complaining that they didn't receive what they had booked.
This Hotel is part of the Britannia Hotels group. Subsequent complaints led nowhere, I was offered a discount on a future stay at the hotel (yeah right, that'll be the day!), and the Britannia head office is not interested in complaints, and refers them back to the general manager of the hotel.
Granted, there are renovated rooms in this hotel, I saw one without windows, and a noisy one with an electrocution hazard in the bathroom. However some rooms must be so nice that its guests will even extend their stay in them, like the one I had been booked in but never given. One might get really lucky and end up in one of those elusive nice rooms – I wouldn't take the chance, though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment you experienced during your stay with us. Your comments have been passed to Maintenance and Housekeeping managers in order that the points raised with regards to your room are dealt with as soon as possible.

Once again, Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment and discomfort you experienced, but thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us with your very useful comments.

Yours sincerely,

Nick Wright HCIMA
Operations Manager

Been to Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton? Share your experiences!