“Very Tired” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 44 hotels in Brighton
Flackwell Heath, United Kingdom
“Very Tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Firstly I would like to say I enjoyed my stay in Brighton that's because of the friends we were with!
I was very surprised at the state of the bedrooms, as you walk into the entrence it looks lovely almost vintage don't let it fool you ! My friends a I booked at the same time so you would think they would put you at least on the same floor but no ! We asked for smoking rooms at the time of booking and was assured we would get them again NO ! We asked for premium sea view rooms did we get it not as far as we concerned NO! The manager came up to our room after we rang reception he was foreign as were the rest of the staff not that it matters , our side view sea front rooms as he called them were sea view pfft what a load of rubbish yes you could see the sea but not as you would expect ! The staff were very rude to say the least won't be back there would rather stay in a BB

• Stayed August 2012
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Sea view rooms are available for an extra £10 per night. A sea view room, is a room where you can see the sea.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment and discomfort you experienced, but thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us with your very useful comments.

1,646 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for four days from the 6th August 2012.
The hotels outward appearance is very grand, and it's location directly across from the pier and only minutes from the town center is enviable.
From here on in it goes downhill.
Our room faced away from the beach toward some lovely gardens, over a main and very busy road. As the air conditioning was labeled 'Do Not Use', and the room was extremely hot, the window had to be left opened. This also helped to remove the strong smell of dampness.
Also across from the hotel is a night club which allows its visitors to smoke and shout outside of its rear door, which unfortunately faces the hotel. Result, lots of noise into the early hours.
The inside of the hotel has seen better days and could do with a bit of a make over, well, quite a big make over actually. Our room had holes in the walls, smelled damp and had a bathroom that needed a good deal of maneuvering to use as it was so small.
The food was basic but well cooked and served hot, and the restaurant staff were. on the whole. friendly. Guests are allocated a dining time when they register on a take it or leave it basis which really does not suit if you intend to tour the area and are unsure of when you will arrive back.
A big problem is that the hotel has five floors and only one small, inadequate lift that, on the arrival of a coach load of guests can not cope. It took us over 15 minutes to get our luggage to the fourth floor when we arrived.Would I use this hotel again? Probably not!

Room Tip: Ask for a quite room, if there is such a thing.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I can only apologise for the noise disturbance which you had from the night club in the hotel. We do have noise restrictors on our equipment, obviously these did not manage to stop disturbance to you on this night.

As a city centre hotel we are in the heart of Brighton’s night life. We have rooms which are on street level and I can appreciate that disturbance would have been caused by the neighbouring bus station and the public.

It is unfortunate that we did not provide the level of service usually afforded by our hotel on this occasion. Your letter of complaint has been forwarded to all heads of department in order that the issues you have reported can be investigated and any remedial action taken, immediately regarding your room.

Watford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed at the Royal Albion this weekend and i really regret it. The hotel was awful every member of our party was unhappy with the rooms.
I always check reviews on here and i always think it cant be that bad and i would prefer to make up my own opinion and i would like to issue a warning as someone who doesnt normally complain please do not go here.
I generally felt very unsafe it this hotel as there are a lot of drunks that hang around the bus stop near by.
We were on a hen do and we were treated like scum at this hotel.
The staff were so rude the hotel was dirty and falling apart the rooms are big but every feature is falling apart. We were asked to leave a deposit for our rooms incase of any damages and i cannot see any replacements happening to the rooms as there was so many problems in all the rooms so i assume the dodgey staff must be keeping the cash they are making.
I work in travel and i am well travelled i dont choose to go to expensive hotel i prefer value for money but i wouldnt let a rat sleep in this hotel.
I have been to brighton before where i stayed in a B&B designed for travellers and that B&B was worlds apart from this hotel.
Since getting back from this hotel i have been very ill.
If you book here i promise you will regret it!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me regarding your recent stay with us.

We value all feedback we receive, both positive and negative, in order that we can improve and maintain our product and service.

Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Booked this hotel for 2 nights with friends for my special birthday weekend away in august. We had read the reviews which were not that good but decided to give it a go anyway as the price was quite good for the peak season and you cant always go by reviews anyway. Having booked superior smoking rooms we were told on arrival that no smoking rooms were available and that our rooms were on different floors from each other, we were a bit put out about this as the rooms were booked and paid for at the same time as one booking three weeks before hand (maybe it had something to do with all the last minute arrivals owing to the weather being hot that weekend!!)., anyway we were shown to our SUPERIOR ROOMS and they looked like your great grannies bedroom, ok i know this is a regency hotel but everything looked tired and worn out and in need of a makeover the only good thing was the bathroom which had a spa bath and was nice and clean. We had a view of the pier and seafront which was great during the day but not so good at 2am and 3am and 4am when all the clubbers decided to congregate around the pier shouting and screaming and blowing whistles untill the cops show up sirens blaring to move them on!! maybe not so bad with the window closed but then you roast to death as the room was on the top floor and was boiling and there was no air con in the room. Ending on a positive note the breakfast was very nice and the manager did give me a free bottle of sparkling wine to make up for the rooms not as we requested. Oh and forgot to mention that most of the staff who spoke with heavy eastern european accents were quite rude and abrupt so dont complain if they dont give you what you ordered in the bar just stay quiet and drink up!!

Room Tip: Book directly with the hotel and make sure you give precise instructions as to what you require and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Unfortunately room availability is limited, we are situated in the centre of brightons’ bustling night life and are often are at full capacity.

As a city centre hotel we are in the heart of Brighton’s night life. We have rooms which are on street level and I can appreciate that disturbance would have been caused by the night clubs, neighbouring bus station and the public.

Please accept our sincere apologise for any disappointment you experienced during your stay with us. Your letter of complaint has been passed to Maintenance manager in order that the points raised with regards to your room, are dealt with as soon as possible.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment and discomfort you experienced, but thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us with your very useful comments.

Abertridwr, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

After I read lots of comments about this hotel I regretted booking the room. But we went there spent a night and we're happy. We stayed in a double room with a sea and pier view, was not too loud. The room was clean and tidy, plenty of features like wooden furniture, wooden sliding window. A bathroom was clean and a bit smelly but I reckon it was old pipes and sewage system smell, nothing really horrible. We booked in, entered the room and after 2 minutes they brought a baby cot which we asked for. Breakfast in the morning nice, nothing special but plenty of choices. A lift could be bigger. I liked old squeaking floors and being right in the middle of town. All for £60!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Here at the royal albion, we strive to provide an exemplary level of service to all of our guests.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that you choose Royal Albion during your next visit to Brighton.

Yours Sincerely

Nick Wright
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Booked for 2 nights for a hen party of 12!
All rooms had a problem mainly being dirty, there was a mix up with information given when speaking to the manager he was rude aggressive and quite intimating, the lift keep not working which is no good for disabled people or trying to get the luggage to our rooms which were all on different floors, the toilet downstairs was worse than a portaloo! All windows either didn't work or needed cleaning, was made to feel extremely unwelcome and the manager made the bride to be cry and said I'm sorry but we do upset a lot of people when trying to sort out our misunderstanding!!!!!
WILL NEVER USE THIS HOTEL AGAIN!
How it hasn't been shut down I will never know! Actually think it would of been cleaner and more relaxing if we had slept on the stone beach! Please do not use!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest,

I would first like to apologise for any delay in responding to your complaint; we take complaints made to the hotel seriously and value the time it takes to make such a complaint. I would like to address some of the issues you raise in this letter and take appropriate action where necessary.

Quite a few of our staff are foreign, however they do speak a certain amount of English, I think the language barrier may have caused some confusion, thus leading you to believe it was being rude.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Myself and 2 friends stayed at this hotel after a day at the races and a night out in Brighton in early August. In the past I have stayed at the Thistle and the Old Ship nearby. I chose this one as it was the cheapest I could find for a triple room including breakfast and was perfectly located (just over the road from the pier).

We checked in just after midday even though all the signs on the front desk stated that 3pm was the earliest time. Check-in staff were very pleasant and informed us that we had a sea view room which was a little bonus. To be honest, the view could be better if the windows were a little cleaner!
Our room was probably an expensive suite a few years ago. Now it is a large, clean enough room with 2 single beds and a pull-out sofa bed - ideal for us. The bathroom was a bit more modern than the rest of the room and was clean. If you wanted to stay in and watch tv and order room service, probably not the perfect hotel.
The bar was still open when we got back at around 1am so we stopped for a couple of drinks. It was pretty much deserted though - understandable for a Thursday night.
It was a warm night so we had the window open, which was a little bit noisy, but we all slept ok. The Gulls will wake you up in the morning though!

There is a large buffet breakfast including everything that you need for a full, cooked, English. Cold foods including cereals, fruit etc were also available as were juice, coffee and tea of course.

This hotel is not in the same league as some of the other hotels along the front towards the old West Pier but it is "cheap and cheerful" and is in a perfect location for exploring Brighton (Lanes, Pier, shops, restaurants and bars all within a few minutes walk).

I would recommend this hotel for 1 or 2 nights if you simply need a bed, shower and some breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Here at the Royal Albion Hotel, we strive to provide an exemplary level of customer service to all our guests.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that you choose Royal Albion, during your next visit to Brighton.

Operations Manager.

Been to Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton? Share your experiences!