“Good service and location” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kings Road, Brighton BN1 2GS, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good service and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Normally when I go to Brighton I stay at the Jurys Inn as it's next to the station and good value for money. On this occasion it was full and I was booked into the Thistle.

As I arrived on foot it was a 15 minute walk from the station but on a sunny June evening it was a good opportunity to pick a restaurant for dinner as there are dozens close to the hotel.

On arrival the outside is quite dated and I'm sorry to say that when entering from the sea front side of the hotel the experience is quite underwhelming as you walk into an empty lobby area with no signage for reception etc. A short walk up the stairs with your cases and you can find the reception in a large open airy space rising 4 floors to the ceiling.

Checkin was easy enough, though despite requesting a wake up call it didn't happen. Luckily I set an alarm on my phone.

The hotel hints and the high quality one would associate with the Thistle name, but I can't help but feel the Brighton thistle started to let this slip a few years ago as there is a feeling that the fixtures and fittings are rather worn over the years.

The room itself is pleasant enough. Though the dark finish furniture may have fallen from current styles the hotel has done a good job of updating the soft furnishings to give a clean and quality feel about it.

The bathroom is your basic hotel no frills installation but was nice and clean.

My room was on the back of the hotel over looking the town hall, not as grand as you might imagine, so I set off quickly to find a meal. There is an excellent Japanese restaurant facing the town hall and adjacent to the hotel. A large meal and drink was a bit under £25.

Sadly the pool closes at 8pm so I kept that for the morning.

One thing that really lets the room down is the TV service. The TV unit itself was a decent Phillips LCD one, however unlike the Jurys Inn which offers freeview in every room the Thistle has basic selection of a few channels supplied to the room, sadly all in very poor reception with static etc. Also not using a digital service means no TV guide either, so if you've got a laptop computer you may prefer to watch something on that instead.

In the morning the Gym and Pool open at 7am. The leisure club is quite small - a length of the pool is about 4 to 6 strokes for a competent swimmer (roughly 10 metres). There is however a steam room and sauna as well.

Breakfast was excellent. The selection was fresh, hot, good quality and the staff doing an excellent job.

Finally check out again easy enough, just a little wait as the reception desk seems a touch short staffed.

On the whole a good hotel but in my opinion a touch pricey as the quality possibly doesn't meet the expectation for the Thistle name.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
BrightonSmile, Guest Relations Manager at Thistle Brighton, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was delighted to read that you had a great stay with us. I will make sure that your kind comments are passed on to the rest of our team.

Regarding the Television, Channel 6 is our TV guide and will give you a summary of all the channels available. I am sorry that this was not explained to you.

Jerome

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I Stayed here whilst attending a conference at the Brighton Conference Centre. I somehow managed to get an upgrade to an executive double room overlooking the sea and wow what a view. I could have stayed in the room all week and not ventured out at all if I didn’t have too. They even provide binoculars. The room itself was a very high standard, good comfortable bed and quality fittings, the bathroom equally as good.
My organisation paid for B&B and the breakfast was very good, buffet style with waffles being cooked to order. For the record the bar prices were quite high but I paid more in far inferior places than this, and in Brighton. The foyer and the reception are very very nice, a good place to sit whilst enjoying the bar or just waiting for friends.
Not sure whether it was the room, the breakfast, the luxury look of everything, or the service, but he 5 nights I spent there were by far the most pleasurable I have spent in a while.
A wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Try and book a deluxe or executive room with a view, you will pay more but boy its worth it. Great g...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your lovely review.

I was a pleasure for me to read that you had a great stay with us. I will make sure that your kind comments are passed on the rest of our team.

Bridgwater, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Just returned from a two night stay at the Thistle Brighton, as one previous review said, the Thistle is unlovely on the outside but inside the atmosphere is lovely, very relaxed and friendly. All the members of staff we had contact with were exceptionally friendly and efficient. We had a package which allowed us one evening meal and breakfast both mornings. Our evening meal was delicious and the breakfast superb. Loads of choices, something for everyone and beautifully cooked and presented. Our room was fine, a little bit gloomy and drab but clean and reasonable size. It felt strange as it faced the atrium with no outside view at all. This was not a problem for us as we were not intending to spend much time in there but if we stayed again I think I would prefer a room with an outside outlook! The bed was very large and comfortable but the duvet was a bit heavy and "solid." Overall we were very pleased with our stay, loved the fact that the hotel was right on the sea front, close to the Lanes and within easy walking distance of Brighton's attractions. The car park was a bit expensive but again very convenient and from our research into other hotels in the area not an unusual amount to pay.

Dear reviewer,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make sure that your comments are passed on the rest of our team.

Mandurah, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The Thistle is one of those ugly 60s buildings but in a great position and the foyer inside is very attractive. We had a room overlooking the sea and it was very comfortable. The bed was good but the pillows awful (like bricks) and even the feather pillows I requested were not good. Thankfully we had our own with us as otherwise it affected our sleep. The room has a fridge, tea making equipment and spacious. We had two tub chairs by the window and thoughtfully binoculars provided. A quirky touch was a new hardback book by Peter James, much appreciated !!! There is a desk to work on and the bathroom has a very good shower over the bath. However, be careful as I drenched my hair turning the bath water off as one click too many and it turns into the shower!!! The bath was a little chipped and needs re-enamelling. The towels are very worn out too. They certainly need upgrading. Unfortunately like most hotels in the UK you are only provided with a duvet and not a sheet as well and on a hot night it is uncomfortable.
The television is large but the remote a nightmare...it is very difficult to adjust the channels.
The breakfast is very good and the chef makes omelettes and waffles to order and they must use good eggs as a lovely yellow colour. Service excellent and lovely staff. So handy for the Pier and the Lanes for shopping and car parking, although expensive, is so useful as just under the hotel. I think they should upgrade the towels and buy some better pillows as its not a cheap hotel.
There is a lift to the car park and a different lift to the guest rooms so a very easy place to stay. The concierge has been here for about 15 yrs and is very helpful.

Room Tip: We had room 214 overlooking the sea
Dear reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do provide some alternative pillows to the one on the bed. I will speak to our housekeeping team to make sure that our pillow menu is on display in each bedroom. I will also pass on your comments about the towels.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We booked a last minute weekend break with the 2 kids just to get away. Sooo many hotels to choose from, really didn't know which to go for. Many hotels didn't have family rooms at such short notice. So we took a chance with the Thistle, although a little more what we would have chosen to have paid, but thought if we paid a bit more it would be a nicer experience. We weren't disappointed!
Worried a little about the parking so pre-booked on the Thistle's website for the NCP, and it was easy, specially being able to walk straight into the lobby from the car park! However, arriving on a Friday helped because the queue to get into the car park on the Saturday was ridiculous!
Checking in was easy, concierge was very friendly to the kids, staff and reception polite and helpful.
Room was perfectly adequate, 2 comfy double beds, with nice fluffy towels. The furnishings and bathroom was a little dated but it was very clean.
Location is perfect, which I suppose reflects the price, practically opposite the pier. We had a room on the side as no family rooms face the sea, but although on the side we still had a glorious sea view which was a nice surprise.
The self service breakfast was lovely, couldn't fault it. Cooked brekky, waffles, omelettes all cooked to order but the prepared fresh fruit was our favourite.
Loved the huge Atrium, perfect to sit and have a drink and people watch.
Pool was good, not very big but kids didn't complain.
Didn't seem to hear much corridor noise at night, some from the road (we were on the 2nd floor) But you are in Brighton and it didn't go on all night....
We have stayed in The Grove in Watford before now which is stupid expensive and really couldn't work out why. We much preferred The Thistle. Better value, not as big, and friendlier people!
Would we go back....? absolutely!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
BrightonSmile, Guest Relations Manager at Thistle Brighton, responded to this review, June 25, 2014

Thank you very much for your lovely review.

I was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us. I will make sure that your kinds comments are passed on the rest of the team.

surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

We booked this hotel as a little break due to my husband suffering with relapsed cancer.
We requested a possible upgrade due to our situation .
We were greeted by a very nice Spanish lady on reception . Fantastic customer service skills. She acknowledged our request and put us in a nice sea view room .
The bed was huge and very comfortable . Lovely view over the sea.
Tea/coffee facilities . Hairdryer, and iron and usual toiletries.
Our only moan would be the old fashioned and tired bathroom.
We didn't eat in the hotel but did stop for drinks pre and post dinner. Very comfortable lounge/lobby with lovely views of the sea.
The car park is very expensive £20 for 24 hours and that's with hotel discount.
Lovely 2 days away which was much needed and fortunate to have fabulous weather.
Brighton is nice with always a lively atmosphere , however hotels are massively over priced and need modernising , Even the grand and the Hilton looked like they could do with a good sprucing up, and they are the next grade up! .Come on England smarten up your sea sides, we have a long way to go before we match the high standard of BEAUTIFUL holiday hotels abroad at a fraction of the price..If we wish to attract foreign tourists or encourage Brits to holiday at home we need to be brought into the 21st century.

Overall we had a lovely romantic time and a big thanks to the very sweet Spanish receptionist.

Thank you very much for your lovely review.

I was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.
The hotel is subject to continuous investment with all our bedrooms being refreshed earlier this year with new carpets, curtains and new bedding and with bathrooms planned later on this year.

Manchester, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

We visited in June '14 to share 'Afternoon Tea' between 4 friends.
The hotel has a relatively modern concrete facade and overlooks Brighton Beach. The view FROM the restaurant is definitely better than that of the hotel.
However - we had a wonderful 3 hours, with very attentive staff serving delicious sndwiches,, scones, cakes and tea.
We would definitely go again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time our afternoon tea.
I was very happy to see that you enjoyed the moment with us. The view from the restaurant is, indeed, one of the best in Brighton.

Jerome

Been to Thistle Brighton? Share your experiences!