“Poor service, rusting bath and overpriced.” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kings Road, Brighton BN1 2GS, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
London
“Poor service, rusting bath and overpriced.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

- I had booked my ticket via Lastminute.com and it was a ‘Secret hotel’ deal ( for 69 Pounds). Unfortunately, I had selected the wrong date for booking. I called them up immediately ( less than 5 minutes after the transaction) to correct the date, but they said it can’t be done unless the hotel agrees. I contacted the hotel and they said it can’t be done and I have to pay the full price of 126 per night ( minus the 69 I had already paid) to which I agreed. She had emailed me to pay the remaining amount ( 57 Pounds) when I check in. However, when during the check in, the receptionist said I had to pay the full amount. Fortunately I had the printout of the email conversations I had with them previously and was able to sort out the matter eventually.
- The service and amenities were pathetic. There was no coffee or milk in the tray and when requested the person responsible to replenish it, he replied with a curt ‘ you can help yourself mate!’.
- When I asked for omelette during the breakfast, the chef said it’ll take 10 to 15 minutes and didn’t take my order. But surprisingly, another customer went to order the same and was immediately served.
- I found it annoying they didn’t even have a dental kit in the room. When I asked for it, a person brought me one instead of two as I requested, and said it’s going to cost me a pound for the extra one. This is just cheap.
- The bath was rusting badly( room 247). Photo attached.
-I tried to give feedback at the hotel, but no-one solicited, hence this review. I tried the online form, but it is badly designed and doesn’t accept any feedback either!
+ Location is very good. That's about the only positive aspect think I can think of.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I booked the Thistle Brighton mainly for the location, which is overlooking the sea, plus we have been in the past and had a great time. The whole experience was nice from start to finish.
The very friendly staff, in particular Jerome (guest relations manager) and Ken (the concierge) make a big difference.
We spent the afternoon in the lovely lobby area, having nice food and wine, the atmosphere was so cosmopolitan and great if you have little ones like us. The hotel is very child friendly so as a parent you can't ask for more.
Our room was nice, clean and warm, at breakfast the morning after we did have so many choices of lovely food and the chef behind the counter did greet us both on arrival making sure all the food was nicely presented. The hotel has a swimming pool on the ground floor where again you could relax and pamper your self with the sauna.
I was very pleased that every member of the staff were always smiling and happy to help. It was like they couldn't do more to make your stay memorable. We will Definitely be back. Well done to the team who manage this place, I love it.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaside view room
Whitstable, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Great location with helpful staff, comfy rooms although a bit dated and an adequate breakfast. The car park, hotel food and drinks (non-alcoholic & alcoholic) were very expensive but we would return & we would recommend.

Bertrange, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

2 minute walk to the pier and into town. Great value for money and location is great!! Rooms have good views. Great restaurants right outside the restaurant. The staff are also very friendly the gym and pool are great! I always come back to the thistle even though the outside isn't that pretty but thats a tiny price to pay for the location you get.

Room Tip: sea view!!!
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We booked a family room in this hotel for the Easter weekend. My main reason for booking was the location, it has an underground car park with direct lift access from floors 2 and 4 of the car park to reception. This hotel is located on the seafront, very close to the pier and if you walk out the back entrance of the hotel you are in the Lanes, with numerous bars and good quality restaurants and shops. Perfect for us as we parked the car and then just walked everywhere.

We had a family room (two double beds) on the third floor. Although the room was on the side of the hotel it still had a very good view of the sea and the pier. Room was clean, warm and comfortable, some of the furniture and curtains were a little tired, but with very comfortable beds with good bedding. Bathroom had clearly been refurbished, again very clean and modern. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room - we had a good nights sleep (very quiet), kids could see the sea, new bathroom and clean, all for just under £200 for four including breakfast what more could you ask for over an Easter weekend!

Breakfast was good not the biggest choice I have seen but good quality and the cooked food was hot, a good start to the day sitting at a table overlooking the sea. All the staff were very friendly. Bar area was fine - we didn't find it cold (and I feel the cold!!).

Small swimming pool, with sauna, steam room and gym. Kids enjoyed the pool (another reason for booking).

I think location wise this is one of the best hotels in Brighton, especially good if you have children as they have family rooms. We have stayed at Drakes before, which is lovely, but really it is for adults, as are a lot of the boutique hotels/B & Bs in Brighton, and again the Thistle still has a better location.

We will definitely be going back to this hotel on our next visit to Brighton. Great location, very reasonably priced, clean and comfortable - can't recommend it enough!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

stayed at this hotel for one night, have been here on a few occassions but all in all it is a nice hotel. our room overlooked the bar and was one of the inside rooms. the only thing with these rooms are that they can be a little bit small. the rooms could also do with a little update as they are a bit dated. we had drink in the bar area but it was really quite chilly. the weather wasnt the best and as the frontage of the hotel is all glass, i guess this was the reason for it being so cold. i didnt really want to stay there for too long. the upside of the glass frontage is the view. on a sunny day it probably is the best hotel to be in but even a dreary day has a view. went down for breakfast which is really lovely fresh food but same thing again, i found it cold due to sitting next to the window. upon our checkout, we didnt encounter the most helpful of staff so the whole procedure was quite slow and frustrating. not always had most welcoming reception here to be honest but i do like the hotel. the staff come and go so it can be overlooked sometimes. still worth a visit.can be on the expensive side especially in the summer

Room Tip: try for a seaview room as long as its not too exxpensive, inside rooms can be on the small side but...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed here on Good Friday with my wife and two young children. We booked a small suite (two inter-connecting rooms). The second room had a sofabed and the hotel provided a z-bed for the youngest. They loved 'their' room!

Upon arrival, we were greated by a wonderfully friendly concierge, Nabil, who gave the kids a goodie bag-off to a great start! The room was spotless, with fantastic sea views. Breakfast on the Saturday was relaxed. I was impressed by the duty manager (Celine?) who was quietly ensuring the team were on their toes! After breakfast, we used the hotel pool, which is great to have when visiting with children.

This is a great hotel, in a brilliant position and we are looking forward to another stay in the not to distant future...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Thistle Brighton? Share your experiences!