“HOMELY HOTEL” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ainsley House Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brighton
Ainsley House Hotel
You added Ainsley House Hotel to your Saves list
28 New Steine, Brighton BN2 1PD, England   |
Ranked #60 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Paignton, United Kingdom
“HOMELY HOTEL”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have now stayed at AHH quite a few times over the last 18 months. I have always found a very warm welcome and friendly welcome from the owners. The rooms I have been allocated and are always clean and tidy. Nothing seems too much trouble for the owners to assist. Breakfast is freshly cooked and ample really tasty bacon! The road is quiet and a good nights sleep without noise. I will be staying there again in the near future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I spent the last few days and the 1st of 2013 at the Ainsley House Hotel i found it very friendly and clean, The food was very good ,The new manager could not have been more helpful .would stay their again when in Brighton.,Very good value for money . reading other reviiews they should have stayed at the Grand!!!.

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Soots_1
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I think the rating someone would give this hotel depends on the room you stay in. I stayed at this hotel (guest house?) with my father, who is 80 years old. He was in a double room, with a large double bed made up of two single beds pushed together, and another bed in the room, together with 2 chairs, a fridge and a proper bathroom. He would probably give Ainsley House a 3 star rating, however this is my review, and I can only give it 2 stars.

When I booked, I had the choice of a single room with a sea view, or a double room without. I should have chosen the double room. Room 12 is on the 3rd floor and it is possible to see the sea, all-be-it a bit obliquely and through the scaffolding on the neighbouring property, but not quite what I was expecting when it said a sea view. Old properties in Brighton have a lot of steep stairs. Whilst this wasn’t a problem for me, my father found the flight of stairs from the first floor to the second floor quite a challenge as there is no handrail, and he is getting a little old. Just be aware if you are at all mobility impaired.

Room 12 is extremely small – so small there isn’t even room for a bedside table next to the single bed (I balanced my clock on the small stool – which had to be hidden away during the day, as otherwise you couldn’t walk in the room). The washbasin is in the room itself, and the tiny bathroom is just behind a curtain – this wouldn’t have been too much of a problem had it not been for the occasional waft of a sewage smell, probably caused because it is a macerator-type toilet (very noisy). The adjustor for the shower didn’t work, so the water was permanently luke-warm, which is not the best way to start a day!

On the morning of day 1, I asked if it was possible to change rooms because of the lumpy bed (the springs were rather prominent), the smell of sewage and the cold shower. I was told that all the other rooms were booked, everyone else was happy with the room, and if I didn’t like it we could move elsewhere. Not quite the response I was expecting! Within 5 minutes a handwritten list of other hotels/guest houses was put on our breakfast table – even though we had paid upfront for 3 nights. I said we didn’t intend to spend the day moving hotels, but I was a bit worried that when we came back that evening, my bag would have been packed and put by the door. Fortunately that didn’t happen, but I kept my head down for the next couple of days, and didn’t dare comment on anything else!

Breakfast caused a bit of confusion with us, and may of the other guests, as everything is served to you – I am used to staying in places where you help yourself to cereal and fruit juice. Here you sit down and are served. Neither my dad nor I wanted a cooked breakfast, so I can’t comment on that, but there is no choice of cereal – just cornflakes or porridge. We had croissants (tasted lovely, but they were heated in a microwave which somewhat affects the texture) and some wonderful fruit salad – a full bowl of fresh banana, apple, pear and orange – with plain yoghurt. Absolutely delicious and the best part of our stay!

The location of the hotel is excellent – only about 10 minutes from the pier, but the cost of parking is horrendous. We drove to Freshfields Road to park overnight, which is a 15 minute walk away, and costs only £5 for 11 hours (I say ‘only’ because Brighton is a really expensive town in which to park so this is good value)

Had I had a different room, and had not received such a strange and unhelpful response when I asked if I could change rooms, I would probably have marked this hotel higher, but as it is, I can’t say I would recommend it (at least not if you are staying in room 12).

Room Tip: The single room (room 12) is very small, and had problems with the shower when I stayed. Be aware...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We are seasoned travellers and were not put off by the cramped, cold room but an hour after taking it people occupied the next door room. We were disturbed to be able to hear their conversation, conducted at normal volume. The reason for this was a doorway, connecting the two rooms, which was filled simply with a single layer of material (plywood?) and completely un-soundproof. We had booked for 3 nights and realised the problem would worsen as the weekend progressed! We asked to change rooms. None was available. They offered to find us alternative accommodation which we took to be an acceptance that there was a problem with the room. As we left we asked about a refund and they said it would be sorted. There was no mention of any financial penalty. Subsequently only 2 nights were refunded. We contacted them about this several times even offering a compromise as we had occupied the room for a few hours. This was refused. They were treating this as a last minute 'cancellation'. This is blatantly unfair as we did not 'cancel' but left because the room was not fit for purpose.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Delighted with the facilities - exceeded ALL my expectations - run by two charming hosts - great attention to detail - nothing was too much trouble - for example when I arrived exhausted & realized had forgotten my toothpaste - a spare tube was found - superb TRAD English breakfast, great quality, and that makes a big difference, I have spent far more elsewhere & had poor quality food.

Also on my check out day the hosts let me use the lovely dining room till early afternoon to access my laptop using the wi-fi, kept me supplied with tea coffee, humour and for not extra charge.

This hotel felt more like a home - & if I stay in Brighton Ainsley House will be my first option in future.

Room Tip: If you are prepared to avoid the weekend then this hotel can offer some terrific £££ savings
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Nice location and staff were friendly enough, although seemed a little put out by us checking in at 9pm. Room spacious and bed very comfy. However room was dirty with an open packet of crisps all over the floor! Bathroom small, dark and shower in particular need of improvements.
No vegetarian option on the cooked breakfast.

Expected slightly better standards for price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Belgrade, Serbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed with my wife for 2 weeks. Generally very positive experience. Breakfast quite big to keep you on track for some hours, different options are available. Room, bathroom, towels, bed linen extremely clean and frequently changed. Room space is as per British standard means enough space for two persons, since you are not there to stay in room. Staff extremely friendly, non stop singing and maintain festival atmosphere. They are ready to help you on all matter and to answer all questions. The problem can be nearly parking since is very expensive, 3.5 pounds per hour, but some cheaper parking can be found in 1 km away. Some improvement can be done in providing a little bigger TV set and to offer some self serving breakfast. I recommend this BB and would like to visit again.

Room Tip: We used a room number 4 facing park side (main entrance side).
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ainsley House Hotel? Share your experiences!