“Special Treat” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Brighton

You added The Grand Brighton to your Saves list
The Grand Brighton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   97-99 King's Road, Brighton BN1 2FW, England (Formerly The De Vere Grand Brighton)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
Upton upon Severn
“Special Treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Went here with my wife for a special treat one weekend as we had worked very hard for far too long without a break. It was exactly what we were looking for and what we expected, top class service from a top class hotel, we were able to re-charge our batteries without any stress.
It is steeped in history and as soon as you walk in and are confronted with the lobby with it's fantastic staircase you are won over. We had a room with a sea view which was quite high up so we were not disturbed by the traffic. The hotel is under going a total refurb and when it is finished it will be back to it's former glory, as a previous poster suggested ask for a room that has already been done!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you so much for asking the time to update TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us here at He Grand.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you chose to stay in The Grand. My team work exceptionally hard to ensure all of our guests feel relaxed and welcomed during their stay in the hotel, and with the recent opening of our new luxury day Spa we now have even more to offer our guests looking for a bit of relaxation!

I look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel in the near future,

Andrew Mosley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
Worcester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed for one night over a weekend in a refurbished room overlooking the sea. This was my first visit for several years. The grand lady of Brighton has done a lot to smarten herself up. The new GB1 Restaurant is fresh and fun, on the Saturday we stayed the placed buzzed and the tables full. The main bar located on the ground floor has been re-decorated and benefits from lighter colours. The new bedrooms are fresh, full of light and space. The only odd thing was a small fridge plonked on the floor - I suspect our room was not yet fully finished.

Everyone we met was helpful and eager to please, really nice and pleasant staff.

The Grand Brighton is one of those 'grand old ladies' of the British seaside, elsewhere in the country some of these hotels need some TLC as they sink into old age. The Grand has had that TLC applied in spades whilst retaining some of her former glory - i love the main staircase which oozes history and quality.

She is not complete - more bedrooms are still to be refurbished and some of the public areas - the restrooms at the rear need some work. However when fully dressed The Grand will be able to step out with the best.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in a refurbished room, sea facing gives you a real sense of space - however the ro...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review of The Grand.

Our refurbishment project is very nearly complete - we are now onto the final phase of bedroom refurbishments, with all rooms being redecorated, leaving them fresher and brighter. This project, combined with our beautiful new day Spa and fish restaurant, GB1, has truly given the hotel a new lease of life!

I am so pleased to see that my staff looked after you so well, and I will be sure to pass on your compliments to them.

I Hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night at the beginning of March in one of the newly refurbished rooms. The decor was classy and the room size very generous. It is obvious that a lot of thought has gone into the furnishings and as a guest you receive an overall sense of exclusivity. The location is simply lovely and the balcony is a pleasure to open up and indulge in first thing in the morning. So nice to sit and watch the waves whilst you enjoy your breakfast. Overall money well spent on the refurb, proving that there's still a shine in the Grand old lass yet. Will return!

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us here at The Grand.

The refurbishment project has been hard work for all involved, but I am so pleased to see that you appreciate the end result - it truly makes all the hard work worthwhile.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future - keep checking the De Vere website for all our best prices and special offers!

Thanks once again,

Crawley, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have stayed here on many occasions and different times of the year and just love this hotel. Firstly the location is Excellent right on the sea front so close to Shops, Bars, Restaurants, Theatre and Brighton Centre and of course the famous Pier. The hotel staff are great nothing is to much trouble and the rooms are very comfortable and spacious. All you need for a short Break. Please Note the hotel does not have a gym or swimming pool anymore. The restaurant caterers very well for everyone and Breakfast is plentiful and of excellent quality. The bar is very relaxing and calming. Prices do vary depending on availablity so always give them a try. Any questions you have I will be pleased to answer.

Room Tip: Beach/ Sea View
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review of The Grand.

I am so pleased to see that you are a regular guest of ours, and that my staff always look after you so well.

While the hotel does not have a swimming pool (unless the sea counts...!) we do have a mini gym which is free for all guests to use, and we do now have our gorgeous luxury day Spa, with its beautiful treatment rooms, nail bars, Thermal Suite and relaxation rooms. All the details are on the De Vere website, our FaceBook page, or you can call the hotel and talk to one of our team members directly.

I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again soon,

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed for just one night, wish it was a week.

This is a lovely hotel, the staff are very friendly and extremely helpful and welcoming. Its right on the seafront opposite some great bars, cafés and restaurants which are down on the beach. We stayed in a newly decorated room with a huge balcony overlooking the beach and a super king bed. The décor was fab, just like a Hollywood stars bedroom not what you expect in dear old Brighton. The bathroom was lovely too with very nice toiletries and towels, a bath and a shower which worked really well with lashings of hot water.

Breakfast was hot and cold buffet style or you could order items freshly cooked. Plenty of HOT tea and coffee and a range of juices to choose from. The restaurant had a view of the seafront and had an informal and comfortable air.

Valet parking was easy although I believe you can park it yourself. The valet was very friendly and helpful so I had no worries giving him the keys, he seemed like he had been doing it a very long time.

The bar is nicely done out and was a comfortable place to relax.

There is nowhere to sit outside but there are places down on the beach to get a drink or snack al fresco. Its only a short walk too into town (5 mins) where the streets are lined with cafés and restaurants and interesting shops.

A tip if you have a balcony – you have to ask for a table and chairs on the balcony, so do it when you arrive or before you get there.

Room Tip: 6th floor super king with a balcony- ask for table and chairs to be put on the balcony, you will hav...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for passing on your feedback following your recent trip to The Grand.

I am so pleased to see that you enjoyed your visit. My staff go out of their way to make our guests as comfortable as possible, and I am so pleased to see that you appreciated this. I will particularly pass on your thanks to our Concierge team.

Thanks once again,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I booked a 2 day break to celebrate my mother 81st birthday. Some things were great, we had a first class meal on the Monday evening, the location is great and the staff were very nice. In fact our meal is the only reason I have rated this a 3 rather then a 2.

The first rooms we were offered having paid for sea view were astonishingly bad. They were 323/324 and would not be worthy of a 1star. We asked to be moved straight away but the only rooms available then were internal 5th floor with very moderate natural light and the only view was of another rooms window about 2 metres away. The new rooms had been decorated and I accepted them as we wished to get on with our two day break but once in them unfortunately they were disappointing although not on the scale of the original rooms. The bathrooms had no heating, there was no towel rail near the sink so no where to put the hand towel. The main bed room was cold having only one radiator, the other window had a pipe sticking up from the floor that had been capped.

The breakfast was very tasty, a few egg based dishes were available on a menu and they were very nice. The problem we encountered was that the hot buffet part of the breakfast was served on the bar which was just a bit two high for anyone under 5'5" to serve themselves comfortably.

In the 90's the big sea front De Vere hotels were the place to stay, I stayed at the hotel about 7 years ago and it needed investment then. What they do have are great staff but I would not stay again unless I could be guaranteed a significantly better quality room. The hotel is refurbishing and it could be that the rooms now being done are better then the refurbished rooms we stayed in.

Also take care, my bill was wrong on departure and although this was resolved once I pointed it out (the new rooms we were given were £25 per room per night less) had I not checked I would have been charged the full original rate.

Room Tip: A fully refurbished room is the only option
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here a The Grand.

I am truly sorry to see that you experienced some issues during your stay, however I am pleased to see that my staff were able to deal with these in such a professional manner.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future, if you care to use the messaging facility to contact me when you are thinking of booking a room with us again I will be happy to oversee your booking personally, and to ensure that we show you how Grand we can be.

Apologies once again,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

It is the first time I have been to this hotel and the jury is still out on it. All the communal rooms are excellent the service is good and so is the foood. However, my rooom is severely ouutdated and the pricing is not in line with the room.

What annoys me is that it states on the website that most rooms have been revamped and upgraded but I am here with a group of about 30 other guests and nobody else has got an upgraded room. How likely is that and what does it tell me?

Room Tip: Make sure you request an updated room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

I'm sorry to see that you were disappointed with the rooms your party were allocated, however with our refurbishment project nearing completion we will have every bedroom completed by Summer, so in future this will not be a problem. However I appreciate this did affect your stay, and for that I am truly sorry.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future,

Andrew Mosley

Been to The Grand Brighton? Share your experiences!