“Excellant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Brighton

You added The Grand Brighton to your Saves list
The Grand Brighton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   97-99 King's Road, Brighton BN1 2FW, England (Formerly The De Vere Grand Brighton)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
Huddersfield
“Excellant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just arrvied home from a most enjoyable trip to the Grand. From start to finish our stay was perfect. The staff could not do enough to help when asked and our sea view room was delightful. Would highly recommend the Grand to anyone who likes old style opulence mixed with a modern tinge (our refurbished room was gorgeous)

Room Tip: Sea view room a must
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your comments following your recent stay with us here at The Grand.

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to us, and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to my team, who work so hard to deliver excellent service to all of our guests. It is so wonderful to see that their efforts do not go unnoticed!

I hope to welcome you back into the hotel in the near future,

Andrew Mosley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had an enjoyable stay at the Grand Hotel in February, 2013. The staff were very polite and helpful and the food was of a high standard. We were able to get a sea view room, although some of the rooms need up-dating. There is, however, a programme of refurbishment under way. Much of the original Victorian architecture is intact.

Room Tip: If you book a sea view room try to get an upper floor because there is a busy road in front of the h...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for posting your review of The Grand on TripAdvisor following your recent time with us.

Our refurbishment project is so very nearly completed, however I appreciate that the building works negatively impacted your stay and for that I am truly sorry.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel once the refurbishment is complete, so that we can show you how Grand we can be.

Thanks once again,

Basildon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This hotel was booked as a weekend break away from hustle bustle of our busy lives.. and to be by the seaside.
The Hotel itself is amazing... Our room had a draughty window but Still tastefully decorated.
I slept like a log...
We decided to have a drink downstairs in the bar, to my dismay the guests were misbehaving quite badly, which put a dampner on my evening a little.. I kind of thought everyone would act as tasteful as the hotel would, and that staff would object to such. As the noise level got beyind comfort we sought refuge of our room 3 floors up.
I feel the reputation of the hotel ought to be back to the grandeur and not accept any unreasonable behavior.
Breakfast our table was lovely in the conservatory, but we waited absolutely ages to be attended by waiting staff...
I would i'm afraid think twice about returning because It was worse than I expected.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of The Grand.

I am sorry that you encountered some issues during your stay, and I will be sure to look at these closely to ensure that we are delivering maximum guest satisfaction in the future.

However I hope to welcome you into the hotel in the near future, so that my team and I can show you how right we can get it!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I had heard from friends that live in Brighton that it was run down and unkept. I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel has evidently undergone / is undergoing a programme of refurbishment. The public areas are of a high standard; the staff are helpful; the feel of the hotel is reminiscent of an age when well-heeled Victorians would visit the town. As I looked out of my sea view room, I could easily imagine the promenaders of a hundred years ago; the bathing machines and undressing tents on the beach.
I had excellent saefood and fish in the lovely terrace restaurant and, although I didn't have it myself, the afternoon tea looked wonderful, served in pleasant surroundings with piano accompaniment.
My friends had refurbished rooms that were of a very high standard; my room was also of a high standard, though small details like window frames had evidence of handles having been removed without holes being filled and paint refreshed; likewise in the bathroom. I imagine that room will be refurbished shortly. That's the only thing preventing me awarding 5*.
Brighton isn't everybody's cup of tea. Personally I like it very much - traditional seaside; edgy, trendy population and great atmosphere.

Room Tip: Get a sea view!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Was slightly concerned about booking this hotel due to some of the very negative reports on tripadvisor. I stayed at The Grand with my husband for 3 night from the 15th until the 18th of February. It was a truly lovely break with a breathtaking room (622). The room was beautiful (truly one of the nicest we have stayed in) it was large tastefully decorated and with a fantastic balcony overlooking the ocean. The staff from booking, check in to check out were friendly polite and very helpful. Not really sure what all the negative feedback is about. This is an old historical Victorian hotel and therefore has unique and beautiful architecture both inside and out and in order to retain this, is quirky and unusual in some places. If people want a standard blueprint chain hotel then this is probably not for them. Absolutely planning on returning to Brighton with my children in the summer and hope to show them the Fantastic Grand.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks once again,

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

An imposing hotel on the seafront with easy access to all the resort's facilities. Our check-in was handled very efficiently and we were directed to a sea-front room on the 4th floor. We had booked the DBB package and were staying for 2 nights.
Our room was a little disappointing. It was a good sized room with a large bed and separate dressing area and had huge potential but the overriding impression was that it was in dire need of some maintenance and attention. In the bathroom, the sink was cracked in three places and the side of the bath was loose. In the bedroom the window frames needed refurbishment, the covers on one of the armchairs was split in a number of places, wallpaper was coming off and one of the curtains was hanging off the rail.
However, what compounded the disappointment was the fact that the room proved to be cold. There were two radiators in the room. One had no controls and was stone cold whilst the other was tepid despite the thermostat being on MAX.
The following morning we raised the matter with reception and were fortunate to be dealt with by Terri who was very understanding and helpful. She explained that the 4th floor was scheduled for refurbishment but I am surprised that the hotel was seemingly unaware of the condition of this room and felt able to let the room.
As nothing could be done about the heating we were moved to a refurbished room on the 6th floor. This room was obviously much nicer and warmer although it was smaller than the previous room with just a standard size bed. Despite the fact that it had just been refurbished we were surprised to note that one of the window catches was broken, the plug sockets had not been replaced, there were no drawers and the wardrobe (built into an alcove) was not deep enough to accommodate hangers which had to be put at an angle. Minor things but not what one expects to find at a quality hotel. One wonders who undertakes their quality control?
We had no complaints about the food, breakfast being particularly good. Whilst we recognise that we were on a DBB package we were surprised that the fixed dinner menu was the same on both nights.
All staff, of which there were numerous, were very friendly and helpful and it is just a shame that our view of our stay was clouded by the problem with the room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sutton St Nicholas, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Spent the weekend at the Grand at could not fault the hotel. We stayed in one of the refurbished rooms which I would highly recommend. The rooms were spotless as expected. The staff couldnt do enough to help you. The breakfast was highly impressive with so much selection. Would defo stay here again, Handy tip we used the carpark in the square just pass the hotel on the right, underground and it was only £12.00 for 24 hours.

Room Tip: Handy tip we used the carpark in the square just pass the hotel on the right, underground and it was...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Grand Brighton? Share your experiences!