“Lovely stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Brighton

You added The Grand Brighton to your Saves list
The Grand Brighton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   97-99 King's Road, Brighton BN1 2FW, England (Formerly The De Vere Grand Brighton)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tenterden, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed for 1 night last week at The Grand as we were going to see Gary Barlow next door at the Brighton Centre. The location is excellent. We were given a lovely refurbished room with a very nice bathroom. The only criticism is that after the concert my husband waited for 15 minutes at the bar to get served and then we gave up - there was only 1 person serving drinks. Seems crazy when they know that what time the shows next door finish. Based on the reviews we did not attempt to park in the hotel car park but can highly recommend the Regency Secure Parking - 1 Regency Mews, BN1 2HF - it only cost £12 a night - half the price of most other places and it was less than 5 minutes walk. The guy who runs the car park was delightful - would definitely recommend this car park as long as you don't need to use your car between 6pm and 7.00am as it is locked up.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review of The Grand.

Firstly I hope you enjoyed Gary Barlow, and I'm glad you appreciated the close distance between ourselves and the Brighton Centre.

I am also pleased to see that you liked the refurbished room you were allocated, we are very nearly finished redecorating the bedrooms, and with our new seafood restaurant, GB1, open and our new luxury Spa opening this week it certainly is a very exciting time for The Grand.

I am sorry to se that your husband waited a while at the bar, I will be sure to pass this feedback onto my Lounge team to avoid it happeneing again.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon, and showing off our new additions!

Andrew Mosley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stated at The Grand on a Sat night for one night bed and breakfast. We were impressed with the old school nostalgia and how it managed that Along side modern day expectations.

Great location. Bar snacks were delicious and we had breakfast in our room. Very romantic. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to update TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us, customer feedback is crucial to us, and we really do listen to each and every guest comment.

I am so pleased to see you had an enjoyable stay with us, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, especially now the weather has begun to look up!

Guernsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed in December for a concert a the adjacent Brighton Centre. Hotel is perfectly situated for a walk along the seafront and pier, the shops and restaurants. Arrived early and the concierge kindly looked after our luggage which was then waiting in our room upon our return.
We booked a standard inland twin which was lovely. For a future visit, I would definitely book a seafacing room as the views are fabulous (inland rooms look over the back of a multi storey car park). Breakfast was all buffet with eggs cooked to order which seemed to take some time so the rest of the breakfast is getting cold by the time the eggs are ready - hardly a complaint though. The staff all seemed friendly and professional. We would most definitely return.

Room Tip: Pay more for the seaview - it is stunning!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your recent feedback on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased to see you had a wonderful stay with us and will be returning.

Our Concierge team work incredibly hard as "the face of the hotel", and I am extremely proud of them. However I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the Chef regarding the eggs.

We have recently opened our new restaurant, GB1, and our Spa opens later this week so there will be plenty to see when you do return to us for a visit!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Got a good deal in their january offers and took my wife for a three night stay. We stayed in a refurbished and fairly spacious double room. The furniture is still old style (apart from the new flat screen tv) but the room is newly decorated and very clean. Bathroom updated too. The hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment. The hotel is old (which gives it it's character) and very well kept. The staff are wonderful, helpful, pleasant and very friendly. One downside point, the hotel lobby/reception/bar area can feel cold when the outside weather is cold. Overall, the hotel is a lovely place to stay and i definitely would go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review of The Grand on TripAdvisor,

Firstly I am so pleased that you found the newly refurbished bedroom to your liking - the refurbishment project has certainly been a labour of love, but we are certainly now reaping the rewards!

I will also be sure to pass on your compliments to my operational teams, who work hard to provide excellent service at all times.

Lastly I can confirm that at our most recent Health and Safety meeting we discussed the temperature in the hallways, and shall be investing in larger door brushes in 2013, so the next time you visit us it should be a lot warmer in the communal areas, whatever the weather outside!

london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

The communal areas of the hotel are beautiful and the staff are really great, friendly and hospitable but the rooms that haven't been refurbed are old, dowdy and a bit depressing with no safe and no mini bar. The staff and fact the bar and recepetion are lovely means I would consider going back .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of The Grand posted on TripAdvisor - I really do appreciate the time taken, and do look at every review posted.

Firsty I am so pleased that my team gave you such great service; we spend hours training our team on customer service, and its fantastic that they have taken this on board and delivered.

I am sorry that you were not so pleased with your bedroom, however by mid 2013 our bedroom refurbishment project will be completed, and so on your next stay with us you will have a newly refurbished room!

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand very soon,

Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Concerned about my stay as some the review were negative. Arrived at noon and was immediately given a refurbished single room. All mbers of staff I encountered at arrival were welcoming, as in lounge and restaurant. No complaints.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your debacle following your recent stay with us here at The Grand.

I am so pleased that you had such a good visit with us, and will be sure to pass on your compliments to my staff, particularly the Reception, Restaurant and Lounge teams.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon,

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed here in a refurbished room in January 2013, and can confirm that the recent refurbishment is to be much praised. The new rooms are a fair size and are thoughtfully laid out even if the basic room (which we were in) didn't have a stocked mini-bar (only two bottles of water) and no climate control. The size and comfortable-ness (I've just made up that word, just for this occasion) of the bed were excellent and I could have stayed in there for hours in the morning. It really was outstanding: well on a par with the best hotels in the world. The refit was in the most part sympathetic with the original Victorian stature of the hotel.

It is however the bar that is to be particularly praised. Helpful staff and excellent, fresh cocktails made by well turned out, capable staff who aren't afraid to open a new bottle of Moet just to top up a Champagne cocktail with a splash are a very welcome change from what we're used to across the UK. The results are delightful: really very good indeed; and when combined with a high-backed chair in the new conservatory area make for a charming atmosphere.

Not every area was up to the high standard of the bar area though, and the front of house (reception) staff need to step up to the mark as the first representatives of the hotel and its owners. They were not immaculately presented, and although mostly capable, don't sum up the best values of De Vere hotels or The Grand hotel itself through a combination of giggling at their own incompetence and a take-it-or-leave-it attitude.

But don't let that put you off. This is a very solid hotel with a sense of history that is unique and welcome. I shall certainly be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank y much for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with, apart from our Reception team, about which I have contacted you separately.

Our Bar area is indeed looking wonderful following our recent refurbishment; and I will be sure to pass on your compliments to our hard working Bar team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon - if you liked the Bar refurbishment the you will love our new fish restaurant, BG1, and the new well-being Spa!

Warm Regards, and thanks in advance for your help with identifying the members of our Reception team in question,

Andrew Mosley

Been to The Grand Brighton? Share your experiences!