“Disappointingly expensive.” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 60 Attractions in Brighton
More attraction details
Owner description: Winner of 'The Best Place to Visit in Brighton & Hove' - Brighton and Hove Business Awards 2014 Brighton Sea Life is the world's oldest aquarium dating back over 140 years. Following recent restoration most of the building has been lovingly restored merging the Victorian splendour with modern technology to ensure a truly unforgettable setting for your underwater adventure. In 2014 work begins on the remaining part of the building which will offer a spine tingling jungle adventure! Meet Lulu, Jersey and Gulliver our resident giant Sea Turtles that swim with sharks and sting rays from the glass bottom boat or the under water tunnel. With over 50 other world class displays we can ensure you will have an amazing discovery throughout your underwater dive.
Reading, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Disappointingly expensive.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

My friend and I visited Brighton Sealife Centre. It's easy to get to, being situated right next to Brighton Pier. Entrance tickets cost £14 per adult. This price seemed a little steep considering how little there actually was in the centre.
There were tanks with an array of fish, however, apart from the tunnel and the stingrays, there was nothing that special to be seen. The place just felt kind've small and limited.
I was very angered when I saw an inconsiderate child throwing a starfish, whilst the member of staff just stood there and did nothing. I find animal cruelty very upsetting, and if you're going to allow people to 'touch a starfish', then at least make sure that the animals are not harmed in any way.
I can't comment much on the food facilities, as my friend and I chose not to eat here. The cafe-like place did seem very limited and expensive though.
I was very glad that I didn't opt to purchase the tickets for the glass bottom boat ride. You can observe the ride, and see that it's not really a ride at all; more like sitting on a boat that's literally being pulled along on string. The tank at which the boat floated on was no bigger than ten metres, and the people on the boat looked bored to death.
Whilst there are a lot of negatives about the attraction, watching the stingrays always entertains me. The tunnel, with the sharks, giant sea turtles and huge stingrays, was also very enjoyable.
If the entrance fees were a little cheaper, then Brighton's Sealife Centre would make for a nice morning/afternoon out. However, you can spend little more than a few hours in this place, so the entrance fee is very expensive considering how little there is to do.

Visited March 2014
Max L, General Manager at Sea Life Brighton, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Hello Laura, I am pleased you enjoyed the turtles and sharks and in general had an enjoyable morning in the Sea Life centre. It is a shame that you did not benefit from the online discounts as £10 for a few hours is generally accepted as great VFM. I am sorry that you witnessed a child throwing a star fish. This is totally unacceptable to us as well, we do have a member of staff always at the rockpool to answer questions and educate people how to behave around animals. People that go on the boat score it amazingly well in terms of satisfaction and it gives a great chance to hear about conservation from our staff.

Hereford, United Kingdom
“Don't waste your time or money.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

My partner and I visited here on a trip to Brighton recently. Having visited other sea life centres we were expecting this to be great considering it said it had been renovated recently. There was little information about the creatures in the tanks which left us guessing what they were a lot of the time. There wasn't much to see. For £10 each we were really disappointed. It was nowhere near as good as the others we'd visited. Having said that if you do decide to go and decide for yourself, I'd advise you to book your tickets online like we did and benefit from the generous discount.

Visited March 2014
Max L, General Manager at Sea Life Brighton, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Great advice about the online discount that hopefully others will take advantage of. I am really sorry that you were disappointed in your visit, but I am pleased to say that in 2 weeks we open a new area that will introduce everyone to the wonders of a Rainforest adventure. we will look into increasing the information on the display boards, but we have to find the compromise between saying too much and people not reading the info, and saying too little and not passing on the knowledge.
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“not that wonderful”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

this sealife centre is pretty average have seen lots of better ones in UK and at £28 for two people ridiculously overpriced. No discount for us over sixty is diabolical. i know the place is old but parts of the place inside are pretty grim. I would not recommend this place to anyone, the sealife place in hastings is far better and haf the price.

Visited February 2014
Everyone (regardless of age) enjoys exactly the same experience, and our research showed that one price to fit all helps when working out the entry costs. Booking on line in advance can save ££££'s and is well advised. We are going through some major building works at the moment so your comments about modernisation are being addressed and open to everyone in April.
Kent
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I wasn't too impressed with this attraction, i booked online so it was cheaper, working out to about £8.50 each. We saw all the exhibits in about 40 minutes, the highlight is the underwater tunnel, which we spent a good amount of time in. The animals all seemed well kept, the place itself was clean. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Visited March 2014
I am pleased you benefited from the online discounts, but I am sorry you did not spend more time here to enjoy even better value for money, our average dwell time is approaching 2 hours. Thanks for your nice comments about the happy fish and happier staff!
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
“Rather pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Even though I booked online I think the admission price is on the dear side. I was in and out in 20 minutes. On the plus side the building inside is amazing.

Thank you for your review. I can understand why you felt it was pricey if you only spent 20 minutes inside. If you had taken in one of the feeds and talks, experienced the rock pool and looked in all of the 60 displays I can't understand how you got around so quickly.