“A little different, VERY tasty!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Hastings, United Kingdom
“A little different, VERY tasty!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Through trip advisor we decided to try this place out. Fairly quiet as it was a Tuesday evening. Decor is a little shabby as others have noted but it's fine. Good range of menu choices and enough different takes on the norm to make the mouth water. We loved the spicy poppadoms and both curries were really very tasty indeed (names escape me), lots of fresh herb and spice flavours. The garlic Nan and ginger fragrant rice were delicious also. Good, prompt, polite service. Only grumble is that on the drinks menu and till receipt the Cobra is listed as 660ml but it comes as draft and at £4.50 is a little dear but the rest of the meal was reasonably priced. We'll be back!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
chef_Murali, Manager at Eastern Eye Restaurant Brighton, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
hello sir,
we just installed the draft system recently as feedback from our customers. the pricing had not been finalised yet when you visited the restaurant so now we have a new drink menu and changed the price of the 1 pint Draft Cobra beer to be a bit reasonable than the other 660ml bottle beers we sell.

thanks for your comment
kind regards,
Murali

Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The hostess/server is the sweetest, although she may not understand you straight away in English. Be patient, repeat and everything will be fine.

Their peri-peri prawn appetiser is A-MA-ZING. It's sweet, sticky and spicy. I usually order one or two of those with a side of Basmati Rice and have that as my meal.

Oh, the hostess/server works the entire floor alone, so if at rush hour, have some time to spare.

It's worth the wait.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Midday dhosa a delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Just had a delicious pea and potato dhosa with authentic sambal and two coconut chutneys for lunch.Divine-delicately spiced but with real flavour.Make the walk along the London Road and be transported back to South India.We chatted about dhosas and the charming waitress said they can make them even bigger- a true paper dhosa.Yum,can't wait to find another excuse to eat there.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brighton
“Easily excellent eastern eye, delicous dos, fab fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Having had a couple of disappointing meals lately in central Brighton, I'm glad to say the Eastern Eye experience was anything but. I had fish masala to start, lots of fresh fish, in a light spiced batter, followed by the glorious veggie dosa. It was 15" across!! But thin and crispy, the dosa of dosas. The spicing in the filling and chutneys were also just right, with the flavours building throughout the meal. The family who run this are friendly and courteous, and the service is quietly professional. If you want well flavoured, well prepared real Indian food at a sensible price, then it well worth leaving the centre.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Homely food. Nostalgic... Fabulous!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

When I first entered the restaurant, I was owned just by the aroma of food, let alone the taste. Felt like I was back in India for a brief moment. And boy it was true!! After that day, I have been here countless number of times, and they never have disappointed me no matter what I tried, and mind you, I am a picky eater. :P
I have yet to find a person that I recommended this to and not liked it. I wish I had more than two thumbs to up for them. lol.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere