“Best Indian restaurant in Brighton. Fantastic food, wonderfully homely atmosphere and very competitively priced!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Planet India

Planet India
Open 6 to 10pm Tue to Sat and Some Sundays | 4-5 Richmond Parade, Brighton BN2 9PH, England
01273 818 149
Improve this listing
Ranked #39 of 876 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

We had a fabulous evening at Planet India. The menu is helpful as it describes the many alternative vegetarian dishes well. The staff are also very welcoming and attentive without being overbearing. The food is delicious too. Would recommend this restaurant to meat eaters and veggies. We took lots of people who usually insist on eating meat and they loved it too!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Delicious! For veggies and meat eaters alike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I came here for a birthday meal with my mum, dad and brother. Given that it was a Tuesday night and right after New Year, I hadn't booked and had expected it to be pretty empty... I was wrong! We actually (luckily) secured the last non-booked table for four. Atmosphere was great, it felt like you were having an authentic Indian meal in someone's front room - in a good way!

We ordered starters; the samosas were great, the pea/coconut balls were good but the dhai bel puri was to die for! So unusual, but amazing. For mains, we each ordered a couple of half portions. All were good but the stand outs were the red lentil curry, the aubergine curry and the pea and paneer curry. Two portions of rice were more than enough for four of us too. Drinks-wise, my brother and dad enjoyed trying some of the more unusual beers, although dad remarked it would have been nice to have an Indian beer on the menu. Mum and I shared a bottle of house white which was well priced and easy to drink.

All in all, I'd definitely recommend... I'm vegetarian but the rest of my family are meat eaters and even my brother, who on the way there had been talking about how he wanted to have a bacon sandwich when he got home, came away so, so impressed! Our bill totalled £75 for starters, mains and a couple of drinks each - bargain.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bright, Australia
“Informal dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I booked planet India for our work meal which was a gamble never having been before. It had enough great reputation so I was not concerned. And I needn't have been. There is a great atmosphere of a calm, friendly place to enjoy home cooked food. The owner treated us like old friends,had a laugh and was very patient with our rabble. The menu is hilarious intentionally with the owners tips on it. And then the food. Amazing. It's fresh cooked, delicious and big. They accommodate well for different diets easily, just no meat. And the last bonus is that it's so cheap. Highly recommend as long as you are looking for informal and expecting fancy decor and silver service. If you want Indian food as if visiting friends at home, this is close.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Consistently great food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

First of all I have to question the below review…. One review absolutely slating a place is more often than not a (transparent) attempt to sabotage a rivals review score. If this is the case you should be ashamed. If however your palate and appreciation of an unpretentious and welcoming restaurant where the focus is on quality, healthy and fresh food and great value are so off kilter I would urge you to make this your first and last review in the interest of others. To attack what the owner chooses to wear in his own establishment is breathtaking. "Now I know why Britain has been going downhill"…. speechless
(rant over)
I cannot speak highly enough of planet india. My family and I are regular visitors and without fail leave happy. Aubergine curry, sag paneer and dhal bhel puri are a must… If you are vegetarian (I am a certified carnivore) you will be in heaven.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
bexhill
“very different”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

well after a wkd staying in brighton, my hubby found this place online, i didn't know anything about it and when we got there tbh i was disapointed, crappy part of town i guess and tbh the snob came out in me! i'm not really like that either, everything was crappy looking, tables, carpets, chairs, just not very inviting, but i guess its about making the most of what you have? it was vegetarian, which i didn't like lol but we were handed out menus ( by the owner in his bare feet) again authentic? ok so looking at the menu which was a bit of paper, the he reccomemned dishes for us to eat, which i have to say i dunno what they were but they were soooooooooooo good! like really good! they only served beer or wine which again i was dissapointed, i like vodka! but the food was lovely. lots of good things but mainly the food and the fact its totally about home cooking and family run, his wife served the food and they were all so lovely :D there was a young group of people in there who seem to be reg there and lots of other people, and i think he was fully booked, so that say's a lot :D i would def eat there again .

• Visited December 2013