“Probably the worst fish & chips I have ever eaten,” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #92 of 873 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: Fishy Fishy Seafood Brasserie, a relaxed, informal, predominantly seafood led dining experience in Brighton promoting fresh, local and seasonal seafood. With its focus on all day dining encouraging, a relaxed atmosphere and its simple décor including a large outside dining area.
Cuckfield, United Kingdom
“Probably the worst fish & chips I have ever eaten,”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Picture the scene, Rainy Saturday lunchtime in Brighton with friends looking for a nice fish restaurant loads of nice fish restaurants to choose from and it was our misfortune to choose Fishy Fishy (should be dodgy dodgy). The welcome was warm and inviting, we all chose fish and chips. the fish was not identified on the menu and that should have been a clue of what to expect. The minted mushy peas were cold and the french fries over salted. The wine and tap water were both good and the desserts acceptable. Portions were small to average. Give it a miss

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Oh Dermot!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Sorry to hear the one in Poole has closed down as the Brighton one is great - not just another restaurant owned by a celeb pumping out mediocre food - this one really does do the business and you can tell they care about the produce - would definately visit if you haven;t already

Visited November 2012
Nantwich, United Kingdom
“Lovely Fish Pie!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We had heard about Dermot's place down in Brighton and after reading that it had good rating on Trip advisor we took a chance. Must say that the place is well located and easy to find. We were placed upstairs as the lower floor was pretty full, which was fine as it was great to be away from any drafts! The waiting staff were friendly and reasonably attentive. For a starter we had the Mackerel Pate with Melba toasts - this was really fresh and will be added to our home cooking folder! I had a main course of the Fish Pie - which was very tasty and I loved the whole scollop I found. My wife had the Sri-lankan curry - which she really enjoyed, well spiced and flavoursome! Well done Dermot, we will be back!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Good Potential (If there was a good rating I'd put that rather than very!)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

So my dining partner and I were excited to be trying out this restaurant due to its rather good reviews. We had a pleasant evening but improvements could be made particularly with the number of serving staff for a busy Saturday night. We enjoyed a few starters, oysters were the star of the show followed by the squid. The chorizo and scallops were too spicy and greasy for my liking but the scallops were cooked well. I had dressed crab for my main. It came with 2 segments of lemon which wasn't enough for my taste buds I waited 10 mins then the waiter appeared with lemon slices which was very hard to get any juice out of (perhaps he has slices upstairs but needed to go to the kitchen for segments?). There was only one waiter for the top floor which was at full capacity and just as I was about to give up hope of getting his attention again the manager popped his head in and was happy to get me a couple more segments but I had to wait another 10 mins for them. This really improved the meal so was glad I persisted, luckily we were relaxed and in no hurry but other diners may have found this frustrating. My partner enjoyed his main of paella although he commented that it tasted more like risotto no saffron or such flavours but was packed with seafood. We finished the meal with an expresso martini (as previously recommended by a friend) which was absolutely delicious. So I would say average to good for this place. The member of staff was very pleasant with us I just think it would have been so much better if there were more staff to help improve the atmosphere of the small restaurant upstairs as it seemed there was always someone looking frustrated trying to get his attention for a while. Oh and the wine was fabulous!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hove, United Kingdom
“Very over-rated expensive and uninspiring food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Very disappointing restaurant miserable staff and think they just trade on the fact that Dermot has a stake In it! Food Luke warm and a guest of ours has a shellfish allergy and explained this to the miserable waiter but yet her meal came sprinkled with prawns and had to go back!. The most disappointing thing was it is a limited menu and the special of sea bass was sold out by 8.30pm on a Saturday night! Very disappointing as we were really looking forward to going and it was very expensive for a very average meal. Will not be returning.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere