“A very enjoyable evening” 5 of 5 stars

New Steine Hotel | 10 - 11 New Steine, Brighton BN2 1PB, England
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
New Steine Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #380 of 876 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Brighton
“A very enjoyable evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Me and my girlfriend ate here after buying a Groupon voucher and had a lovely meal. When we got there it was quiet but soon picked up. We both enjoyed everything we ate especially the beef carpaccio we both had as a starter. We found all the staff to be very friendly and was really surprised when we saw some of the other reviews on here about the staff. At the end of our meal we even told the manager what a nice meal we had and how good the service was, if I remember correctly I think we left quite a large tip. All in all a good evening with great food and good service

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Brighton, Uk
“Patronising and poor service but good food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We went on a living social voucher and were treated like 2nd class citizens. the waiter was very patronising. We were asked if we could understand the menu, did we know what foie gras was, did we need help to understand the wine menu... We had to get up and chase the waitress for our wine as she had forgot and at that time there was only 2 tables occupied in the bistro including us. But the food was lovely. I had the pork cheek and my husband had the chicken and we both very much enjoyed our meals. Overall it felt like being in France-good food but bad service

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I visited this restaurant last Sunday evening prior to going to the theatre. It was very cold and snowing and the waitress hurried to the door to let us in as we were early and sat us in a very cosy warm table. she was very attentive and friendly but did not rush us to decide on our meal. The food was delicious and very reasonably priced. There were nice breaks between courses so we didn't feel like we were in a fast food restaurant. The decor is very pleasing and the toilets are very clean and well maintained which I feel is very important. We will definitely go again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sompting, United Kingdom
“Faultless experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Having read a few reviews I decided to judge for myself. This review is based entirely on my own experience and nothing more. My wife and I wanted a meal prior to going to a concert in Brighton. I phoned ahead to book a table and enquirer as to the opening times. I was told 6:00pm but I said I was hoping to get an earlier time so as not to rush for the concert. The lady told me that they would open half hour early to accommodate us. That is good by any standards. We arrived about 10 minutes early and were shown straight to our table. It was warm and cosy and we felt relaxed. I made sure that I told the waitress I had a tastecard and she brought the a la carte menu. The choice was good and I had the snails in a mouth-watering pastry case with a beautifully seasoned cream sauce. My wife had smoked duck which was perfect. I had pork cheeks in red wine and my wife had the meat of the day which was tenderloin with sautéed vegetables. My pork came with the best crushed potatoes I have ever had. My wife's pork tenderloin melted in the mouth and the vegetables were fantastic. We both had the best crème brûlée this side of the Chanel. The service was lovely and the waitress knew the menu and answered any questions. The wait between courses was right and the waitress checked everything was okay several times. She even made sure we were not running late for our concert. I could not fault any aspect of the food or the service. If anyone has had problems before then this place certainly has learnt from them. I would gladly recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brighton
“Nothing Special”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We went along on a voucher 'taster' menu, the only really tasty course was the sorbet, the rest of the food on offer was well below average. We had additonal food for our kids from the al la carte menu which was very basic, but still overcooked and unappealing. The waitress was incredibly rude. When we finally gave up waiting for them to take our card payment, paid cash and got up to leave she chased after us accusing us of not having paid! Would not recommend or return.

• Visited November 2012