“Pretty good, but could have been better” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #77 of 873 Restaurants in Brighton
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Peacehaven
“Pretty good, but could have been better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

My wife booked this as a birthday treat for me. I read the reviews but I do like to make my own mind up. We were early for our booking but were accommodated straight away. The two girls serving were great throughout the whole night. They were attentive enough to know they had not forgotten you, but not in your face. The restaurant had a nice buzzy feel and not too loud. Everything looked good.

We ordered starters and we decided to share. The spicy prawns were very nice and a reasonable portion. However, the restaurant, having read previous reviews, has a problem with plurals! The roasted red peppers was one pepper, and as we could taste the brining liquid must presume it came from a jar. A smear of cheese inside with some rocket and that was it. £4.50. It was quite poor for the price.

The main meal we had sizzling kebabs. As a previous reviewer states, they are not sizzling - mainly because they are served on a flat bread I presume. But it was lovely. Plenty of food, nicely presented and very tasty.

For desert my wife had the chocolate and pistachio cake. Very nice but it could have done with some creme fraiche or similar on the side as it was quite rich and heavy. I had the two stuffed figs. I love figs but these were like eating dry Shredded Wheat. I couldn't really taste anything and it was as poor a dessert as I have had anywhere. Beautiful sweet figs were reduced to tasteless chewy morsels of nothing. And they cost £4.

On the whole the food was very good, the service was good and the restaurant was very pleasant. Some items on the menu need rethinking but on the whole it was worth a visit.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Delicious and good value for moeny”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

That was one of the tastiest lunches I have had out for ages - fab atmosphere and not rushed, cosy and friendly and the food was so fresh and clearly made with love by someone who knew what thet were about. Thank you for making my day :)

• Visited April 2014
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Lovely food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Went there not long ago with my family and really enjoyed the food. We had a table full of starters and they were absolutely delicious. We found them to be reasonably priced and the waitress was really helpful and attentive. Afterwards we decided to have a couple of desserts. When the menu said baked pears, we assumed it would be more than one, especially for £4, we were presented with one pear. Disappointed. We had a baked fig as well, the portion size once again was small for the price.
All in all lovely food but a let down at the end.

• Visited February 2014
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Hidden gem in Brighton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Cosy restaurant in the heart of Kemptown. It's a romantic place for couples and also great for just having a gathering with a group of friends. Lunch menu offers a wide variety of mediterranean dishes e.g. poultry, meat, fish and vegetarian. Every dish has it's unique and wonderful taste. The restaurant offers even more choices in the evening. Fabulous food and always a warm welcome. Highly recommended!

• Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Good food, warm welcome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Fresh food was tasty, and the waitress made us feel very welcome -- however no 5 stars as the 'sizzling' kebabs didn't sizzle at all. Would return.

Visited March 2014