“Authentic atmosphere, friendly staff, delicious menu!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 875 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Lebanese, Middle Eastern, Moroccan, Halal
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: A Lebanese and Persian restaurant on Brighton���s busy Western Road, Taste of Sahara gives seaside dwellers a taste of the exotic at a very reasonable price. With its d��cor created with care to reflect the atypical Middle East of story books and holiday brochures ��� all pierced tin lanterns, heavy wood and rich colours ��� Taste of Sahara has a look which reflects the diverse flavours of its immensely flavourful menu. From kebabs to tagines, all one���s Middle Eastern favourites are offered by the Sahara kitchen, along with some lesser known dishes that will tempt the more adventurous diner. In particular, the restaurant���s mezzes prove popular, the sharing concept somehow suited to this kind of cuisine, particularly when accompanied by the BYO policy.
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Authentic atmosphere, friendly staff, delicious menu!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

To keep it short and sweet-
the menu was large but not extensive, making it easier for us to reach decisions!
Staff were absolutely lovely, cracking jokes and being there when you needed them to be.
The 'Bring your own bottle' scheme I now realise is the best idea in relation to eating out for dinner-Cuts a huge wedge off the end bill, especially if you end up having to buy champagne for someone's birthday!
Our starters and mains were deliciously cooked, seasoned and presented! I couldn't finish mine but they offered to bag it up to take home with me-I declined as I was ready to pop anyway!

This was a really comforting dining experience, the end result making us feel really well looked after and fed properly!

Two big thumbs up!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food and very welcoming staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful evening at Taste of Sahara restaurant.

We booked a table (despite it being a wet Tuesday in September, the front room of the restaurant was packed and fairly noisy). The back room where we sat was much quieter and cooler. They have some private booths as well. There is a smoking section in a little garden at the back where you can have shisha!

The place is nicely decorated with lots of colourful fabrics and little lights.

For starter we shared the mezze platter which was delicious - plenty of food for two hungry people. The bread with halloumi and salads were especially good. I was pretty full after my starter so we asked for a little break before the main course! I then had lamb tagine for main course which was heavenly with big chunks of soft, melting lamb. It was full of flavour and spicy without being to fiery. My boyfriend had a selection of kebabs which were great but I think the tagine was a superior dish. We were very full up so ordered a pudding to take away!

The restaurant is BYO so it works out a really cheap way of eating out - we spent £10 on a decent bottle of plonk rather than the usual £25+ on something average from a wine list!

I have to make a special mention too for the staff who are very friendly and go out of their way to make sure you are happy and have everything you need, without being overbearing. We had a quick chat with Sabri, the restaurant owner, he is incredibly amiable and passionate about his food and business.

We will definitely be returning!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Beautiful Wiltshire
“Even better than before”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Well, we were off to Brighton again and this time my husband was with me so I wanted him to experience Sahara. this has to be the only restaurant I know where booking your table is a pleasure. I think it is Sabri who answers the phone and it's just liking talking to an old friend - he is SO welcoming that you feel special from the very first contact.
My table was booked and I was already thinking about what to have.
The BYO wine policy is still in operation so we duly arrived with our bottle of wine (which saves a fortune on the usual overpriced restaurant wine list). And yet again the welcome was warm and genuine. We had a lovely little table and menus promptly arrived as well as an offer to open our wine for us.
For starters I had the Lebanese Bread filled with Halloumi cheese - which came with a lovely little cucumber salad in the middle which complimented the cheese perfectly. Hubby had the Batata Harra - which he pronounced as 'spicy' (but as it says spicy on the menu what did he expect?). Sabri kindly offered some yoghurt to help cool it down - which was gladly accepted. However, husband pronounced it 'really nice' and ate the lot.
Main course for other half was Rouz Dajaaj - chicken in a balti sauce, he didnt say much as he ate it - which means it was pretty darned good.
I went for my favourite Shish Tawouk, the chicken kebabs. And they were EXCELLENT!! Moist, tasty and served with rice and a lovely salad. I manged to hoover up the lot.
We didnt manage a dessert as we were kind of full. I wish I could have squeezed one in but there just wasn't room.
In fact, the food was even better than last time - thank goodness the Chef didnt make an appearance as I may have run off with him......
As usual, Sahara was full. Lots of happy, chatting people enjoying their food. The atmosphere was great and Sabri was ensuring glasses were topped up and diners were happy.
If you eat anywhere in Brighton, then make sure you stop at Sahara but do book first.
We were sad to leave : ( but we will be back when we are down in November.
A big hug from Sabri finished the night off and we ventured out into Brighton on our way back to our B&B. Satiated & very very happy.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Herts
“Very friendly, lovely food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Had the mezza between two. Great variety and lovely flavours, everything well presented. The owner was very friendly and the service could not have been better.

Visited September 2012
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Not too bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Food was ok, starter of meze was really excellent, but the mixed kebab was average at best. Abut a tonne of rice which was slightly off putting, and the kofte was no better than the 2am kebab. Ambience pretty bad, but went early. Owner was enthusiastic. Bring your own wine, which I like.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere