“Beautiful room, delicious breakfast & superb location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kemp Townhouse

You added Kemp Townhouse to your Saves list
Kemp Townhouse
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   21 Atlingworth Street, Brighton BN2 1PL, England   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #34 of 97 Brighton B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bath, UK
“Beautiful room, delicious breakfast & superb location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

A charming little guesthouse with friendly & helpful staff & in a great location, around 5 minutes walk from the pier.

We stayed in a feature 4 poster room and it was wonderful, the little touches such as a decanter of port, delicious biscuits and luxury toiletries really added to the experience.

Breakfast had a huge and varied selection of foods to suit everyone and having it brought to us in our room for no additional charge was a lovely treat and the full English was delicious!

All in all, a lovely stay and we would recommend to anyone travelling to Brighton. We will certainly stay here again if we return.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I go to Brighton often but normally I stay at the big chain hotels, yes, it's true my middle name is "boring" however this time I thought I why not try something different. After extensively checking reviews of the smaller boutique hotels I opted for Kemp Guesthouse, and I didn't regret it for a moment. From the warm welcome on arrival to the stylish decor, the fantastic breakfast served in bed if you so wish, and the ever so friendly staff, I am not sure you will find better, specially for the price which I thought was very reasonable. I honestly cannot fault the place everything about it was so good, the recommend this place to anyone....what you waiting for ?.. go ahead and book yourself a room....you won't regret it !!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Pluses:

- very good location near restaurants and the beach (even if not smack central)
- townhouse decorated to a very high standard in Georgian decor.
- Spectacularly good breakfast menu
- free port at bedside - a lovely touch!
- free wifi

To improve:

- I did not the friendly thing others commented on a lot...not in any way rude...but just usual hotel like approach

Room Tip: 201 was great and has a big 4 poster
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed at the Kemp Townhouse in the 'Comfy King' room, and found the staff very helpful and obliging. Nothing was too much trouble. Room was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was superb (in bed - room service at no extra cost!). On street parking by the door for £9.50 for 24 hours sorted out by staff. For future trips to Brighton I would always book here and have recommended this guest house to all my friends!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We recently stayed at the Kemptown house. On arrival, you are welcomed into a beautifully decorated hallway and shown to your room. Our room was comfy king and it was absolutely stunning. Complemetary port and prosecco included in our amazon deal price. Wifi was very fast which I was surprised at. The location of the hotel is not far from perfect, just down the road from the pier and the wheel. There are also lots of pubs and restaurants just at the top of the road.

The facilities in the room were perfect for us and the fact that you could get fresh milk in your room was a bonus!

Breakfast was perfect, nothing to fault. The selection that they offer is huge also.

Kenny is a real asset to the hotel and couldn't do enough for us during our stay.

I have already told my friends and family about the hotel and cannot wait to visit again!

Thanks :O)

• Stayed March 2013
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Brief Saturday night stya to attend function at Royal Pavilion, a short walk away. We had the tiny room at about £100 for the night - satisfactory, though cramped as advertised & expected - only room for one to change at a time (it was the only room available). Was expecting lovely bijou charm... entrance hall is a litle tired. Cafetiere supplied, but only instant coffee. Comfortable bed - noisy seagulls not the management's responsibility. Sunday breakfast late start 09:00, but waited for it because reported as highlight. Very nicely laid out, good choice of cereals and delicious croissants (better than Waitrose); divine smoothie. Orange juice from concentrate, I fear; eggs benedict & royale a slight disappointment, not very hot, poached eggs seemed to have been pre-cooked in cling film and I'm sure the hollandaise was out of a jar. (OK I keep chickens and am very fastidious about how to poach an egg).

Room Tip: Small room OK if you want only to sleep and hit the town. Avoid hollandaise & poached egg-based...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Paul L, Owner at Kemp Townhouse, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Giles,

Thank you for taking the time to feed back your comments and I'm sorry that you were disappointed with our breakfast offering. For the sake of clarification, all of our eggs are locally sourced, free-range and cooked to order (as is everything on our breakfast menu); No eggs are pre-cooked in any way. The hollandaise sauce is also freshly made every morning using only egg yolks, melted butter, mustard and a splash of vinegar and any that is unused is thrown away at the end of the breakfast service so is pretty much as fresh as you can get. However, I'm sure that compared to newly-laid eggs these may well have tasted a little different!

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of seeing you again next time you come to Brighton.

Best wishes,

Paul.
Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We found the Kemp Townhouse on laterooms.com and just booked based on the high guest rating (verified on tripadvisor). This was a single night away with the other half before the Easter madness.

Staff greeting was very friendly, and we spent the day shopping while the room was made ready. The room itself was large and comfortable and the emperor sized four poster was a real gem! The room included all the usual trappings, as well as a Nespresso machine, complimentary port and a wet room. The wet room itself was fun to use, but not overly practical - not something I'd rush to put in my house.

Breakfast was great with the range and quality of food very high indeed. No complimentary smoothie for us, but I think the waitress was very busy.

Room rates appeared quite high and we probably wouldn't have booked direct.

Overall we were most impressed with the Kemp Townhouse and would recommend to family and friends alike without any hesitation.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Kemp Townhouse? Share your experiences!