“Without a shadow of a doubt the Poorest Service in Brighton” 1 of 5 stars

01273 206523
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Alfresco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #147 of 908 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
“Without a shadow of a doubt the Poorest Service in Brighton”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I believe I am strongly qualified to write this review since I have been eaten on and off at AlFresco for a number of years now.

Throughout the years my number one reason to come to this place has been the Sun. Quite simply,when it's sunny in Brighton, alFresco has an enviable location, overlooking the beach.

It is their service, including everybody from their managers to pretty much all waitresers which is frankly shocking and I dare to say the worst I have ever experienced in Brighton. This has not changed in years. In fact, it has gotten much worse and hence the reason why I am writing this review.
It's a shame that they don't get customer service.

If you are willing to:

1. Be greeted with disrespect. /disregard
2. Be made to feel like a nuance by pretty much all (seriously unhappiness must be contagious
3. Be treated like cattle ( don't even think about suggesting sitting elsewhere other than where told!)

...then this is the right restaurant for you.

Otherwise, if like me you believe that eating out starts at the moment they welcome you in (or like in the case of Alfresco don't welcome you) then avoid this place at all cost.

It's a real shame because their food is pretty good (although a little overpriced).

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I booked a table at Alfresco for 20th April 2013 for 9 people at 8.00 p.m.- I booked it well in advance, then on the night we all turned up a 7.50 to be greeted by a very unfriendly bouncer on the door, asking me what I wanted, when I explained I had a booking he got the manager who said I was too early - they had obviously given my table to someone else - we were then taken downstairs and a table set up for us down there - there was no atmosphere at all downstairs - upstairs was buzzing- was very disapointed with the level of service - I am local, and eat out a lot, but will be a long time before I return to Alfresco or recommend it to others -

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Nice food but service was poor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We visited the night before the Brighton marathon so stock up on the essential carbs. When we arrived the staff were super keen to tak our order, so much so that they had asked whether we were ready 3 times in the first 5 minutes. Drinks took about 15 minutes to arrive and whilst the starters were served promptly when ordered, the main course took over 45 mins to come once we'd finished our starters. They were not particularly business and several tables who were seated after us were served ahead of us. We wouldn't rush back here in the future

Visited April 2013
Hove, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit, lovely views!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We went here a few days ago, and noted they have a new chef. This food was really good and hence worth the prices, and the house white was jolly good too. I would recommend, if you've been a few years ago but decided not to go again, to review your decision and give it another go, I should hope you'll be impressed :-)

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
AlfBrighton, Manager at Alfresco, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for your kind words, we have made quite a few changes over the past few years and invested a lot of money into making this a much better restaurant and I am glad it is paying off!
“Unless you harbour a secret penchant for overpriced Italian food served by surly waitors in an uncomfortable setting, avoid al f”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

DON'T EAT HERE. If every restaurant, cafe, pub, bar and takeaway in Brighton was closed, I'd rather pay a hobo for his shoes and eat them raw with a mud garnish than go back to al fresco. Hyperbole aside, it really is a dreadful experience and one you'd do well to avoid. The food is ok, but rather overpriced; the service is somewhere south of abysmal. I can honestly say that I've never been so rushed and never left a restaurant feeling so frustrated or disappointed; the manager was particularly obnoxious but none of the staff proffered so much as a smile or kind word and some of them couldn't speak any English at all.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
AlfBrighton, Manager at Alfresco, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
I am sorry you have had a bad experience, I am unsure what day you went to the restaurant so I can not investigate this. With regards to our food we have a chef who has worked at Cliveden, Burnham Beeches and other places with a great reputation so the food we serve is of excellent standard and we use fresh and local ingredients. I am sorry that you felt the food was ok. We always have comments about the friendly, family run feel service that we have in the restaurant, again I am sorry that you did not experience this.