“Busy Saturday” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Brighton, England
“Busy Saturday”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I came here on a Saturday lunchtime with husband, daughter and partner. We had a Groupon voucher for a two course meal and it may well be that all the voucher holders were there that day. We had reserved a table, but no notice was taken when we said we had a reserved table and we passed through the main seating area to a large windowless, décor-less alcove at the back. Two tables were pushed together for us, suggesting that reserving was a waste of time.
The waiters and waitresses seemed rushed off their feet.
The house white wine was acceptable and we enjoyed our starters, though my husbands soup spoon, which appeared not to have been washed was replaced swiftly, but without an apology.
Whilst two of us were still eating our starters we were asked if we were ready for our mains!! When the dishes were cleared we asked for a short break before the mains, but they came straight away. The mains were fine.
I am sure it would be a different experience on a weekday, but it was not a particularly relaxing atmosphere there as we felt the bustle. Also, where we were seated felt enclosed and was not particularly pleasant.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Projectile vomiting bile through your nostrils should be avoided at all costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Myself and a friend recently endured a meal here.

On Monday evening we stumbled upon the restaurant and fancied pasta and so decided to go in for dinner. The garlic bread resembled a biscuit and my pasta dish was the most unusual meal I have ever been presented with; baring in mind that as a student I ate some questionable combinations. After closing my eyes and hoping for the best, after a few mouthfuls I realised that the meat in my odd bolognese was not cooked.

My friend rightly advised that beef does not have to be cooked completely to be dependable, however I am sure, being an avid watcher of James Martin on Saturday Morning Kitchen, said meat would need to be fresh in order not to offend the bowel.

Somehow absorbing the emotional state of the salad bowl, we were so saddened and distressed by the poor standard of the meal that we felt obligated to bring this to the attention of the waitress. After making our polite but clear complaint, she left the table, presumably to talk to the manager. However upon her return we were presented with no apology or solution, just the full bill with a very kind deduction of 70 pence, which may or may not have been based on some dubious mathematics.

Weary and deflated, we paid the bill and left.

Back at our apartment the unusual bolognese unleashed a biblical force upon my digestive system. Without going into too much detail, following a 6 hour exorcism of said meal from my body, I decided to write this as a piece of advice to tell you that projectile vomiting bile through your nostrils should be avoided at all costs.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Pretty Decent VFM”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Came here a few months ago and had the cheap 2 course meal which was good value for the price paid although Donatellos better for me due to more non cheesy or fishy starter options, but that's my problem!

This trip was to use a Groupon voucher which enabled us to choose the more pricey mains from the menu. The prawn salad starter was very big and my girlf enjoyed it, the pate was fine, but I wouldnt want to pay full price for it.

We both went for veal as the main and both enjoyed this a lot. We have gone to a few Groupon places now and this is the first time we feel that we would pay the menu prices for a meal, so that is a big compliment from me! Compared to the non-pizza or pasta main dishes at Donatellos that I've tried, this was better.

Service was really good. The restauarnt was full, but we were sat down quickly and offered drinks within minutes. No long wait to order and food came in a short period. Very impressed.

Don't expect wonders, but definitely decent. We will go again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't go back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Had a groupon voucher bought for us at Xmas 2 x 2 dishes for up to the value of £30.80 (was bought for £15) when we was in there they had an offer for 2 dishes for £6.50 per person and got the impression it hadn't just started!!
The atmosphere was terrible as half the restaurant was closed with lights of! I ordered mussels for starters and my wife did for her main to, took the staff ages to come & lets us know that they didn't have any mussels available, when they did, they offered us the king prawns but would cost us an extra £2.50! Even though we hadn't exceeded the £30.80 waiter was very rude & just walked off! My wife ordered a spaghetti pasta dish in the end and it came out wrong
So will not be going back again!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sutton, United Kingdom
“Regular diner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Been coming here for more years than I care to remember, was back again on a quiet New years day afternoon with my son and as always the pizza's are fantastic, along with the dough balls and service. Great place to mellow and enjoy good hearty Italian food

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere