“Great Bistro in Brighton” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #68 of 908 Restaurants in Brighton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Kent
“Great Bistro in Brighton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I went here for my anniversary on a SUnday night and loved it. The staff are very friendly and the service excellent. The inside is charming in a way many places are not these days, its a little dated but its still a lovely place to eat in. The food was lovely, we ate fish and chips and devilled cod cheeks, both of which I'd recommend. The best thing however is the mackerel butter they serve with their bread. A revelation. I'll be back just to eat that.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Englishs, Manager at English's of Brighton, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Dear Phillip Kent
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time at English’s of Brighton. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I hope to welcome you soon again.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“when in Brighton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

When in Brighton, you have to go to English's. This place is an experience not to be missed. The staff knowledgeable and friendly and the food faultless. The Sea food here is as good as anywhere prestigious you care to name, and I've been to a few. We had a side by side quirky seating position but if anything it was fun, even when our poor server tripped down the step (sorry). Wine and champers excellent too. We sat there for about three hours people watching.....Didn't eat again that day!!!! Give it a go you will not be disappointed.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Englishs, Manager at English's of Brighton, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear markcarbody1234
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. It is such a pleasure to receive such positive feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back when you’re next in the area.
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Excellent.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Took my wife last night for her birthday. She absolutely adores all seafood. She had 6 west mersea oysters appetiser, chilli and garlic tiger prawns starter, moules marnieres main. Which she loved. I had crispy squid salad starter and Steak and kidney pudding main. The pudding was the largest i have ever eaten and full of filling, excellent. Having been a silver service waiter through my early years, a long time ago. I have to say the staff were welcomming, polite and attentive and worked the room extremely well. Very professional. Great place for seafood lovers and also menu accomodates meat eaters. There are seafood resturuants and there is Englishes! Thank you for a great night of fine dinning.

Dear Adam O
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time at English’s. I hope to welcome you soon again.
Andre
“Lovely food. Great service ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Just popped in for lunch as an impromptu treat & we were welcomed with big smiles & offered a table with no 'have you booked' attitude.
I have to say the seating was unusual, we sat next to each other but it was quirky & fun.
The menu is comprehensive & all that we ate was good. Some of the starter was a bit cold but otherwise yummy. We had a change of staff throughout the meal it was seamless. They were unobtrusive, smiling & attentive, I'd definitely go back.

Englishs, Manager at English's of Brighton, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Peter B
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback. I hope to see you soon again.
Hove, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food with very attentive staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We went for Saturday lunch. The atmosphere and ambience is very old school but the food and staff are very up to the minute. My husband started with the Oysters which he said were amazing and I had the mussels which were lovely. For the main I had the plaice which was beautiful and my husband had the dressed crab which he said was fabulous. Highly recommend.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear pippaodm
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, it is greatly appreciated. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time at English’s of Brighton and hope to see you soon again.