“Not That Good” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #153 of 833 restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: El Mexicano sits in the heart of Brighton's theatre district and prides itself on being the only authentic Mexican restaurant in the area. Buzzy atmosphere is fueled by vibrant Latin vibes, music, cocktails and food. Authentic Mexican cuisine and Spanish tapas is the order of the day, including Enchiladas, mole, sea-food paellas and fajitas. After your meal, visit Valentino, the art deco style bar upstairs, which is licensed until 2am.
London, United Kingdom
“Not That Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Four of us had dinner here, but I was the only one who enjoyed my meal.

Did taste what the others had chosen and must admit they were not good. One meal included potato wedges, they were burn't and tasted burn't too!

Surely the chefs not blind? It would have only taken a few minutes to do some more!

Good waitress and some nice wines.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Top Value - Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Great atmosphere. Top value. Excellent service.
We both had a burritto and a bottle of San Miguel. Total cost was just £16.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Worthing, United Kingdom
“A delightful little place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Situated next to the Theatre Royal in the North Laines this establishment delivers a very good range of Mexican dishes and Spanish Tapas at very good prices. The Lunchtime and Evening specials give even better value. The tables are a little cramped (Estate Agents would probably say cosy) and the decor could do with a bit of attention, but the food and the service was well worth the visit. The blonde waitress was helpful and always smiling which is always nice to see and brings people back. How often good food can be spoilt by surly service! Not here though.
We will be back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Probably my favourite restaurant in Brighton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Great little restaurant, warm and friendly with delicious food. I'm vegetarian and there's plenty of choice. I'm also a chillihead so the extra hot salsa is amazing and I order it every time. Perfect.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brighton, United Kingdom
“BEST MEXICAN!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Of all my regularly visited restaurants, I'd say this one is my particular favourite. Whenever it pops into my mind I know it won't be long until I'm next there. The only other time I've tasted Mexican food this good is in southern California (I have never actually been to Mexico, so my knowledge only goes so far).
Everyone I've taken there has been as impressed as I am with the food, and the service is really friendly and fast.
Probably my one and only unfavourable criticism is that the owner, who sometimes hangs out in the restaurant with a laptop or talking to the waitresses, seems a bit sour-faced and serious; and when asked questions by customers he isn't very forthcoming or welcoming. Much better off asking the waitresses who are all lovely.
Hard to recommend a dish here as every single one I've tried has been fantastic.

• Visited December 2012