“Great food & good service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great food & good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had a delicious meal today! both the starters and the main courses were excellent especially the roast dinners. we did ask for a little more gravy but this was no problem and i would have given the roasts 10 out of 10 if the veggies had been less crunchy. however, that said it was the best roasts we've had in a longtime! the service was good and our waitress was very thoughtful. the restaurant is not around the corner for us but we shall definetly be going back soon. one tip would be to remove the tea lights as they did catch our paper menu on fire and we werent the only table to share that experience!! no harm done though and we did have a good giggle about it. :)

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Chichester
“Odd Landlord”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Maybe I reminded the landlord (chunky chap behind the bar) of someone he disliked as that's certainly the impression he gave me. I had visited there with my wife a couple of weeks previously with 2 work colleagues. During that visit there'd been a black out in the entire village so the pub was lit with candles. The tills weren't working but the staff (no sign of the Landlord on this night) were great in the fact that as we were staying at The Star Pub Hotel opposite they'd be happy for us to pay the bill the following day. Luckily we had the correct amount in cash.
So.....on my 2nd visit I happen to bump into the Landlord in the gents and I say quite clearly, "Good evening" to him. He says nothing. Now I'm fully aware of there being various attitudes of etiquette to men having conversation in the gents and I'm sure it was clear that I was not trying to proposition him and, after all, he is the Landlord. So not being sure if he'd heard me or was just being rude I recounted that the last time I had been in his pub there had been a blackout. He looked at me and just said, "Was there" and walked out.
Now again, allowing for my misinterpretation of his manner and that inside, really he is a great big jolly ball of fun, then it's me and I'm missing it and I apologise. But on reading through the reviews there does appear to be a few customers who experience the same bluntness or is it they remind the Landlord of someone he dislikes.
With the exception of the Landlord, great pub, great location, nice beer, nice friendly staff and I can only vouch for the chips, which were nice. Unfortunately due to that one exception, I won't be going back.
Lastly, there seemed to be an issue with flies as when I paid at the bar there were approximately a dozen or so flying around and landing on the hanging tankards above the head of the member of staff.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Eastbourne
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

A very good meal, a bit more expensive than we usually pay but the quality and portion size were good.

Visited September 2013
Paris, France
“Excellent restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Everything is good about this restaurant, the decor, the pub-like atmosphere (16th Century building), the views from the back over teh green, the village setting and last but not least, the food! A very wide range of beautifully prepared and generously portioned dishes. We ate there on two nights and I found my seafood linguine and lamb shanks were perfect. And excellent traditional English puddings too which my French friends loved!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Price does not match food quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Whats good about the George? the staff are very friendly, welcoming and helpful. Plenty of seating in and out, good location.
Whats bad? the food. Hugely overpriced, poor quality and badly cooked. Example - Sirloin steak, £18.00 - a lot of money anywhere. Ordered medium rare. What was delivered was a well done steak with a handful of oven chips and 3 small onion rings and some sauce. that's it. The steak was rubbish.
Also ordered a seafood platter as a starter - it was disgusting at £15 - it included some salmon that tasted slightly off and had a slimy texture, a handful of wet just thawed cheapo prawns, a few anchovies and some herring.

What a shame, no wonder the place was empty, clearly the locals keep away, we will never eat here again.

It wouldn't take much to employ a decent chef, buy some quality meats and make an effort, then you can charge £18 for a steak and have repeat customers. What you are serving up for £18 now is robbery - if you sold that meal for £7.50 it would be about right.

• Visited September 2013