“Superb!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 64 Restaurants in Swanage
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Café
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine
Description: La Trattoria is open evenings for atmospheric dining a la carte or fixed price menu. Pizzas and pastas are always available. Fresh fish, shellfish and lobsters which are caught locally, all are available according to season. We also have local meat dishes sourced from Dorset farms wherever possible.
“Superb!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We arrived at the restaurant with no reservation 9pm on a Friday night. Luckily they had one table to offer us. I was honestly not expecting much.....how wrong was I! We had a fantastic meal, the Scallops were some of the best I had ever tasted, cooked to perfection and large and plentiful. My hubby had a bowl of mussels, again cooked to perfection and presented beautifully. I had the fillet steak, and although not the best fillet I have had, it was still very nice. My hubby had the lobster, again, delicious! We would definitely go back again, and would recommend whole heartedly :0) well done La Trattoria x

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Devon
“Unfortunate experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Very friendly service and good variety in the menu.

Unfortunately I chose a prawn cocktail for a starter and suffered symptoms similar to food poisoning later that evening.
I suspect it was the prawn cocktail because my wife and I ate the same main course, but she chose a different starter and was fine. We only had two courses and ate nothing else that evening.
It had been a hot day. It only takes one bad prawn in a batch to make one feel unwell.

Wish I had chosen something different now as generally this is a good place to dine as evidenced by other reviewers..

• 2 of 5 stars Food
bruno4t, Owner at La Trattoria, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
I am very glad that you appreciated our level of service and menu options, but very sorry that you felt unwell after you had been at La Trattoria.

I can assure you that prawn cocktail is one of our most popular starters. We serve hundreds of them each week, 28 portions on the night in question, and have never, in all the 44+ years we have been open, experienced any such problem.

As already mentioned, we have a very high turnover of prawns, which are never left out at an ambient temperature,and we operate strict systems with regard to rotation of stock. We also pride ourselves with fact we have 5 out of 5 for our hygiene practices from the food standards agency.

Thus I feel that it is very unlikely that our prawns caused you to feel unwell.
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We ate here twice over the weekend 22nd - 24th June, once for just a desert and coffee, but returned the following evening for a meal. This was Monday evening and it was not too busy the service and food were excellent.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“A touch of Italian promise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We dined here a few days ago when on a short trip to Swanage. It was mid-week but quite busy and we were pleased to get a table. The service was good and the food even better. I had the salmon fillet and my wife the lasagne - we were both more than pleased. Reasonably priced wine too. Altogether a very enjoyable experience and would definitely return on future visits to Swanage

• 4 of 5 stars Food
London, England
“Very Tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We were able to get a table here without booking on a Friday night. Although we did have to wait a little for it.

The menu is very comprehensive and I had steak, which was very well cooked and presented with seasonable vegetables. My wife had Spaghetti Ragu which was just right too.

Try it. You'll have a pleasant evening.

Visited June 2014