“could not even book did not respond to any communication” 1 of 5 stars

Grand Hotel Swanage
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Burlington Road, Swanage BH19 1LU, England   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Swanage
Staines, England, United Kingdom
“could not even book did not respond to any communication”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I tried to book a short break to this hotel
I sent them e mails
Messages on facebook
left telephone messages, I really wanted to stay here.
They did not have the manners to return any of my messages or call me back
I will not try to stay here again a shame because it looks like it could be a good hotel
But as they dont seem to have any manners or customer service I wont try again
Shame as some of the reviews are very possitive

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We did not stay here so can't comment on the accomodation, but we had an offer voucher for a 2 course meal. We chose the evening option & arrived with friends to find the tiny car park full. Parked a way up the road, not good in the rain.
No-one to greet us in reception so made our own way through to the conservatory. A sullen waiter appeared & seated us at a small table by the window. The views over Swanage are indeed fantastic, sadly the rest of the experience not so.
We chose from the plastic menu on the table - rather like a pub grub menu. The battered fish was dry & the fish content laughable. The chef's "special" pudding - trifle - resembled a cheap ready made connoction with runny packet custard on the top. I left it.
If the idea of these offers is to encourage people to return to The Grand then it has backfired badly, we would not risk it again.
Why did we not complain? It was our friends' idea & treat and it would have spoilt the evening to make a fuss.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Chichester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Hotel was clean and tidy, with helpful and polite staff.

The food was pretty good with nice variety and well presented. Service was very good and the restaurant staff were lovely.

The location was great with super views over the bay.

Good fitness centre downstairs although the jacuzzi was out of order one day.

My bedroom was 316 and the only niggles I had were that the ensuite shower room was very small and that the lighting on the dressing table end of the room wasn't adequate to be able to see properly! Other than that it was clean, comfortable and the bay view was fab!

The conservatory tables for lunch or drinks was very nice and sunny. The restaurant also overlooked the bay.

Enjoyed the access to the sandy beach via steep steps, also enjoyed the local town and train to Corfe Castle, visit to Lulworth Cove and to Lyme Regis which is very quaint.

Thank you to all the staff who looked after my mother and I for the five days. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Old Coulsdon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

After booking to stay for the last Saturday and Sunday on the two day deal on their web site. I then found some poor reviews of this hotel. Fearing disappointment, I phoned to check some of the issues that I had read and was told of the closure of the Jaquzzi in the health club and that everything else would be OK.
Upon arrival on Saturday we were greeted by a very cheerful receptionist. I asked if we could check the room before we got our luggage out of the car, this was not a problem and after a quick inspection of the room, which was a bit dated the furniture a little tired but was very clean and comfortable with a great view over Swanage Bay.After dropping the luggage in the room we sat in the garden sunshine drinking bubbly with a beautiful view of the bay.
The next morning we were first downstairs at about 08.15 and were greeted by welcoming staff.
There was a good selection of cereals, fruits, yogurts and juices. Whilst eating these our cooked order was taken and we waited approx.10 mins for kippers and poached egg to arrive which were lovely.
Afterwards we went for a lovely walk from the hotel to Studland via old Harry rock and the caught the bus to the rail station and got the steam train to Corfe castle walked around the castle and the village and got the train back to Swanage and the walked along the seafront back to the hotel. In the evening we eat in the conservatory and had a bar meal and a beer both were very good.The next morning I had cooked breakfast and toast which was good.
All in all I had dealings with about ten of the staff ALL of whom were helpful, courteous and cheerful, the food that we had was excellent and we will definitely stay here again.
All I can assume is as usual people are always ready to criticise but rarely praise so hopefully this will rebalance that!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have to agree with every ones poor review of the Grand on this site. have visited Swanage for 41 years, always wanted to stay here but what an expensive mistake. I paid £75 a night b&b stay for 3 nights but it was my 50th, this was a double room discounted for single occupancy. Terrfying lift ride, water tank noise continual, cooing pigeons at 6am onwards, I think they were in my room, poor wi fi south side of hotel signal only so staff said, incomplete breakfast tables, dirty cups, untidy garden corners, dangerous steps and path down to beach, only about 10 small parking spaces so had to park about 200 yrds up road, best bitter beer tasted awful, splintered damaged doors in room, broken drooping shower head and just warm water after 10mins running, bathroom floor and carpets grubby, paintwork yellowed and chipped and marked walls, cobwebs in corners, part just warm radiators so rather cold during night, dirty pillows, mould on walls. Really only worth £50 in my opinion and I stayed 3 nights because I was concerned what I might get elsewhere for b&b in Swanage for much less money.

Room Tip: Dont use 310
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dorset
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Took my mother here after a walk for a cream tea. No one serving at the bar. Waited and waited. Asked at reception to be greeted with alot of huffing. Eventually a tall and miserable young man appeared. Poor attitude.
Nothing wrong with the tea but the scones were not much bigger than a golf ball and rock hard.

Animal droppings on lawn - i had a toddler with me so had to watch he didn't touch anything horrid. Old sofa left in corner of garden.

On leaving had to drag pushchair up steps as no sloping access to garden. Was watched by a member of staff - never attempted to offer any help or advise us of alternative route.

Ashamed to be local if this is the standard of the main Swanage hotel. This will put people off Swanage and affect other retailers in the town relying on large hotels to be full.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Swanage, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Have just been to the Grand to view an exhibition of contemporary embroidery. The exhibition was really interesting, the setting with wonderful sea views was second to none, the staff were very friendly and there was a lovely atmosphere. We all stayed for lunch which was delicious and excellent value for money, and in fact we decided to book for Sunday lunch as well. The new manager, has done a terrific job turning around an ailing hotel into one which definitely deserves the title of the Grand. It is also a lovely idea to hold exhibitions in such a perfect setting as it adds so much to the enjoyment. Can't wait for the next one, and having lunch in a mediterranean setting!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Hotel Swanage? Share your experiences!